Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mahag 1951 Standard Micro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a few more pics of the frame repairs. I invested in a metric tape measure and its much easier than having to change all the measurements to inches. I have a 60's bus manual and a lot of the measurements are the same as early Barndoor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I left a couple I beams on for reference. Then took a 3/4 tube and put tape and grease to make it fit through holes snug for alignment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy wrote:

I used less metal than I originally thought was going to be needed. I am willing to donate any left over frame peaces to anyone that needs them. I am always a bigger critic than I probably should be of aftermarket parts but I was impressed by these frame rails that we bought from Schofields in the U.K. I went over board buying parts from them because Ben got them for me for a really fair price and put them in the bus so I got free shipping on them from across the pond.

Really great to see this bus being worked on; a great piece of history this one Cool

Always happy to help out where I can and great to see the good vibes being passed on dude. Nice one Wink
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Today I got to put a couple hours in on the bus so I worked on the tool box section. Its a rusty chunk but the parts I need are pretty solid I hoping I can get this welded in in the next couple of days.

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

busben wrote:
I don’t know anymore than you do now tbh dude. Supposedly found on, (or purchased soon after being found on), the German / Austrian border by Thomas and Tino, (Bavarian pickers). They sold it to Irv in the UK, (irvs resto), and it eventually ended up with me.

Do you recall what year it was found Ben?

busben wrote:
Awesome bus with probably the only early style dash in the world.

What makes this dash so unique? Is it different to a deluxe full width dash of the same year?

Fascinating thread - thanks very much, Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

bally wrote:
busben wrote:
I don’t know anymore than you do now tbh dude. Supposedly found on, (or purchased soon after being found on), the German / Austrian border by Thomas and Tino, (Bavarian pickers). They sold it to Irv in the UK, (irvs resto), and it eventually ended up with me.

Do you recall what year it was found Ben?

busben wrote:
Awesome bus with probably the only early style dash in the world.

What makes this dash so unique? Is it different to a deluxe full width dash of the same year?

Fascinating thread - thanks very much, Dave

The main thing that is different with this dash is that it has no ashtray like most other deluxe dashes. But honestly I am still learning about these early buses and don't know much else.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Really great progress here, thanks for sharing!
Cheers
Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

TRS63 wrote:
Really great progress here, thanks for sharing!
Cheers
Antoine

Your Welcome. I am enjoying documenting this bus. Ive built many bus's but never took many photos or posted them online. I'm not much of a tech or computer person.
It kind of keeps me motivated to make progress on it too.
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Great work so far!

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Donny, great to hang out for a bit and talk buses today. Your frame jig looks great and I'm impressed with what you've done so far. I'm glad to live close to this beast so I can check in on it. Let me know when you need some extra hands and I will be there whenever I can.
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Donny, great to hang out for a bit and talk buses today. Your frame jig looks great and I'm impressed with what you've done so far. I'm glad to live close to this beast so I can check in on it. Let me know when you need some extra hands and I will be there whenever I can.

Thanks Brandon !
jborregoy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Great job. Will use you technique to disassemble a 54 Panel to restore. Thanks for the picts.
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

jborregoy2k wrote:
Great job. Will use you technique to disassemble a 54 Panel to restore. Thanks for the picts.

Thank you, I just moved again and this bus is going on its 3rd home since it got here from Europe. I also recently ran over my phone and lost some pics.
I'll have new pics to post as soon as I am settled in within a couple of weeks.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy, keep up the good work, looking forward to the new updates when you settle in to your new digs. So sorry to hear about your phone RIP.

rxBusboy wrote:
jborregoy2k wrote:

Thank you, I just moved again and this bus is going on its 3rd home since it got here from Europe. I also recently ran over my phone and lost some pics.
I'll have new pics to post as soon as I am settled in within a couple of weeks.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Bad ass build so far! Can't wait to see some more progress when you get settled into the new house. Cool Damn I want a Barndoor.... lol

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

The_Captainn wrote:
Bad ass build so far! Can't wait to see some more progress when you get settled into the new house. Cool Damn I want a Barndoor.... lol

I know how you are Chris and I think you'll end up with a nice Barndoor soon. You gotta do what I did and sell a few bus's to get a Barndoor. Less is more sometimes.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Keep killing it! Great work. Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I know it's been a while since I have posted anything but I have lots of good excuses. My dog ate my homework and just life I guess.
but this bus is the only car in my garage right now and I am planning on keeping it that way until I put the body back on the frame.
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: