Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Zwitterkafer wrote:
Glad you got the box sorted out. I have found that it can take 2 or three boxes to make one good one. That pitted cover is display-case worthy!

To answer the question about lapping sector to sector shaft, I used valve grinding compound, hand pressure, patience, and a lot of time. It did work but I only had to do one......probably not practical for a volume operation. Sector to worm can be lapped as well. I also had a weird sticking point at one end of sector shaft travel: eliminated with careful hand filing of sector shaft and box.

The factory service manual should be followed for correct adjustment.

How tight is the steering wheel when you turn it? How much play in the steering wheel is there?

All to be revisited and adjusted down the road. Gotta get the box on the beam, the box connected to a steering shaft, a body on the pan, a steering column tube mounted to the body and the steering wheel mounted to the shaft. Give me a few years more. Right now, the box is very nice feeling. No flat spots, no binding, no shaft side to side play, nice movement at the yoke and smooth as silk. It feels like a new box! Time will tell. I am super happy with the rebuild. I will get more feed back from it after the car starts being reassembled. Honestly, I will probably check those points after the four wheel get on the pan. So, hoping to get up to Scott at MCM to rebuild the transmission(s, hoping to rebuild a SSC trans on the same visit, if will let me) in January. Setting the pan completion for in February, if life remains static. Time will let me know!

As always, wish me luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Time for some updating! I decided to take a 6 week vacation due to the numerous amount of hours I put into the business during the last 6 months. It was crazy! If I was an employee, I could have retired off of the time and a half pay! But as the owner, that luxury is not available to me. So, I take the hours accumulated after an 8 hour day, add them all up and take that number of days off! Works out well and I typically still get paid during the time off, unless I get to lazy and do not pay myself! Don't laugh, it has happened!

Anyways, back on the 6th, I had a few minutes of time to do something. Went out to the garage and popped the bearing races out of the front drums. I then cleaned the grease out of them and then had to go to the brewery because the wife was partaking in an art class, at the brewery! Awesomeness!

Seal out, then the races.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the 7th, I then tried my hand at plating some bolts and tidbits black stainless steel. Wanted to clean them up in the blasting cabinet, but the dust has become horrible. So, first I manufactured a vacum attachment point, out of the 54's front shock! Then I bolted it onto the cabinet!

First cut off the shock.

Then welded this that onto a section of flat plate and silconed it to the cabinet, securing it with some bolts and nuts. The hose fits perfectly into the inside of the shock cylinder!

I then blasted and plated some hardware! This was my very first time doing this!

After the plating, I went ahead and assembled my passenger front brakes, to bolt onto the front beam.

Friday rolled around and I found myself with just a few more free hours. So, I started blasting some items. Check out the VW emblem in this front dust cap.

Along with the cap, I blasted a bunch of hardware to plate, since it came out decent on my first time! You can see the brake adjusters for the other front wheel in my hand, along with the other dust cap.

I then plated them, exactly like I did the other hardware, but had a worse experience! Everything rusted! It came out of the electrolysis bath black, but then turned rusty, as it dried. Not cool!

Then the vacuum took a shit while working upstairs with the wifey, so I had to stop and figure that out. Turned out that the oldest borrowed our vacuum and sucked up a 2 inch fluffy ball, which lodged in the sucky tube from the head to the bag. Took me a few hours to figure it out. That killed the rest of the day.

Then onto Sunday. Another few hours! Installed the one front backing plate I managed to get assembled. I forgot that the spindle arm is in line with the wheel cylinder hose port. I will need to turn that around! Damn it! But it looks like progress!

After fitting that brake plate assembly onto the beam, I dug out the pedal cluster and disassembled it.

Knocked the clutch pedal pin out.

Then sanded the shaft, so that it would not damage the pedal bore during removal.

Knock out the pin and pulled the pedal off the shaft.

Then slide the clutch shaft out of the pedal housing.

Clean up the pedal tube assembly extension off of the brake pedal, before removing that pedal. It is .039 inches proud of the pedal.

Then unbolted the brake pedal. You have to remove the bolt completely, the shaft has a recess machined into itself for the bolt.

Pulled the brake pedal off and there is the return spring!

Starting to get the parts laid out.

Then the removal of the master cylinder push rod attachment removal. Pushing the pin out.

I grabbed that retainer with a pair of pliers to remove it completely, then removed the pedal pads. They are OG pads stamped.

Onto the throttle pedal. This thing is corroded into the housing. Hope that they both are okay!

Had to wiggle it for a while, but I finally got the throttle pedal out of the housing!

Until I find more time to update. Thats as much as I could manage to do!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Enjoy the time off Jim and keep pushing ahead. Good to see updates.

Did you re-try the plating and did the rust go away?

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I stopped thinking about all the hours I work a long time ago. It takes a lot of time to do it all. It's not like I play golf or anything so what am I going to do? Don't forget about all the labor your kids have in them. They can be a great resource for training pay.

Are there any bushings inside the housing for the pedal assembly? I know the later model has them. It takes a special tool to get them out. Some people put a grease fitting in the later ones to allow grease to be squeezed in. I did mine and when I had it all installed broke the fitting off while putting in grease.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Enjoy the time off Jim and keep pushing ahead. Good to see updates.

Did you re-try the plating and did the rust go away?

I am! Problem is, pipes are still bursting and leaking! Went out yesterday for another slab leak! Damn it! But I do enjoy the results of that work!

I am doing my best to keep doing something on the project. It is hard, between the family, the family coming to the beach for Christmas, running a business, and FIGURING OUT WHAT WIFEY WANTS!

I tried replating that last batch with the same result. I am thinking my solution became contaminated at some point. Not sure how, since all I did was pour out the solution. But maybe something fell into the tiny bottle. Totally perplexed at those last results!

Thinking of trying a larger power supply. I may have diffused the electrical current by reversing the polarity on that last batch, thinking that it would plate easier. But that is a guess, at best!

Will let you know in a few weeks. Looks like my schedule is filling up with Christmas parties and gatherings. There is one EVERY NIGHT this week! In laws show up on Monday, for several weeks. I am sure my FIL would love to help out on the plating. That rocket scientist figures out everything!

Thanks for asking. Guess I had a lot to say!
Happy holidays!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I stopped thinking about all the hours I work a long time ago. It takes a lot of time to do it all. It's not like I play golf or anything so what am I going to do? Don't forget about all the labor your kids have in them. They can be a great resource for training pay.

Are there any bushings inside the housing for the pedal assembly? I know the later model has them. It takes a special tool to get them out. Some people put a grease fitting in the later ones to allow grease to be squeezed in. I did mine and when I had it all installed broke the fitting off while putting in grease.

Too funny! Got me to crack a smile, which is not hard to do, but I loved the tone! I only type the time, so that I can keep track of it, and the next guy that thinks they want to undertake a project this large. I do not even document the time searching the Samba, Craiglist and EBay for possible parts. It is a fairly large weight to bare, but it is my definition of “fun”! The wife would totally disagree. The kids are older now. No more helping Daddy out with the Bug(s). One is out of college and the other has a little bit more to go!

I will get the next installment written today. The bushing are in it!

Thanks for looking in!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I used this kit with pretty good success. Last thing I plated was carb hardware and its still holding up in the humid environment here. The carbs have tarnished but the oxide is still black.

https://caswellplating.com/search-results-page?q=black%20oxide

I had rust issues at first after electrolysis rust removal (washing soda/battery charger). Had them in the tank, rinsed then left them on the counter overnight, total flash. Next try I used Evaporust which also worked well on rust, but was too difficult to remove for clean treatment. Next tried blasting cabinet using soda or regular black diamond but then dropped them straight in a can of mineral spirits to rinse the grit. Once clean I removed and dried with air (moisture trap at tool end) and dropped right into the prep solution. When ready then hit the activator solution and watched til it was as black as I wanted. I originally used their sealer product and regular hot used engine oil but wax dip seemed to last the longest and was SUPER smooth installing the hardware.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
I used this kit with pretty good success. Last thing I plated was carb hardware and its still holding up in the humid environment here. The carbs have tarnished but the oxide is still black.

https://caswellplating.com/search-results-page?q=black%20oxide

I had rust issues at first after electrolysis rust removal (washing soda/battery charger). Had them in the tank, rinsed then left them on the counter overnight, total flash. Next try I used Evaporust which also worked well on rust, but was too difficult to remove for clean treatment. Next tried blasting cabinet using soda or regular black diamond but then dropped them straight in a can of mineral spirits to rinse the grit. Once clean I removed and dried with air (moisture trap at tool end) and dropped right into the prep solution. When ready then hit the activator solution and watched til it was as black as I wanted. I originally used their sealer product and regular hot used engine oil but wax dip seemed to last the longest and was SUPER smooth installing the hardware.

Okay. That will be something I need to look into. "Trapped moisture". Can you elaborate for me?

My process, was blasted them clean with black diamond grit. Rinse in soap and water, as per the directions. Then immediately into the electrolysis bath till black (so far so good), placed on a new paper towel and left to dry (Still good looking). About 30 minutes after they were dry, the rusty area started. Within a few hours they looked like that picture.

Matthew (R2D2) lives about a mile away from me. I talked at length with him about the issue, since he has some experience plating. He worked through the variables he could come up with and nothing was found. I have read (as I do) countless threads and articles about the process and the end result fiascos; and have not come up with anything besides. My solution became contaminated, some how. Not sure how. I only poured out of the bottle. I did not leave the bottle open any longer than needed. But some how, some thing got into the mix! Really odd!

If you can think of anything, I am all ears!

Thanks man!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

What kit did you use? The black oxide is just controlled rust. I remember the instructions being really specific about the parts being grease/oil free. When I found a spot that wasnt clean the oxide was splotched. After I started with the spirit soak it seemed to get all the crap out.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

FWIW, I use this all the time for items that are not subject to weather. It's pretty damned good. When exposed to the elements it's just a sacrificial coating https://www.epi.com/insta-blak-333.html
Probably illegal in California too Rolling Eyes
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

So, another 6 hours. Continuing on the pedal cluster. I got the accelerator pedal out and started cleaning everything up. Heres all of the parts laid out for cleaning up.

Bead blasted, primed and painted.

No paint on the housing, just good ol fashion lacquer!

Onto rebushing!

Grabbed the main shaft and did a good inspection. It does have a little wear, but nothing too bad.

See that small bushing in there. It is worn fairly well on the front side.

So, I got a new bushing kit!

Here is the housing all nice and pretty!

But it also has worn bushings. Thats right! There are 2 of them in this housing!

So, I pulled out my clutch pilot bushing tool! My father told me when I was a little guy, maybe 5, every tool has more than one use! And he was not kidding! I am thinking this ought to do the trick!

Yep, sure did! See, no more bushing in the shaft!

Now, let us get the housing's bushing out!

This has a stepped interior area. I cannot get the correct diameter bearing press plate into the opening, at either end. So, when I was wrenching for a living, the head mechanic taught me a neat trick for hard to remove bushings! A hack saw blade and lots of patience and caution.

You have to cut a slit in the bushing, but not the whole way through, without cutting anything else or the housing. Like this!

Makes a cut like this.

Then I take my bushing cutting tool and set it on one side of the cut and hammer across the bushing, cutting it out.

I then go to my bearing race drawer and select a race that will allow the housing to rest on the edge of the race but allow the bushing to drop into the emptiness.

This one ought to work!

And so you can see what I cut.

I then stand the housing back up on the race and drive the race out from the other end of the housing. Once you hear the race hit the table, Bob is your Uncle!

Now the other end! Cut and push out the bushing!

This one broke in half!

All cleaned up and bushless! Now lets get the new ones back into the housing!
I set up the housing securly on a flat tabletop and gingerly pressed in the bushing as far as I could get it to go. I then take a 3/4" MAC Impact socket and gentle tap it into the housing. The shoulder on their 3/4" socket rests on the edge of the bushing perfectly!

See the shoulder?

Set.

Repeated at the other end. Then I reinstalled the grease zerk fitting.

Greased up the bushings and the interior of the housing, along with the shaft.

And slide that in!

Brake spring is next.

Then the brake pedal slides on. Install the bolt and set the distance off the end of the shaft. Remember the feeler gauge measurement!

The bolt.

Then the clutch hook shaft slides in.

Clutch pedal goes back on and the pin gets hammered flush. Cleaned up the OG pedal pads.

Then installed them. Done!

Pedal cluster done! Onto something else.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
FWIW, I use this all the time for items that are not subject to weather. It's pretty damned good. When exposed to the elements it's just a sacrificial coating https://www.epi.com/insta-blak-333.html

Its the same stuff and even got it through the mail when I still lived in L.A.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:

Thanks! Thinking I may grab some of that. Thanks for the link!

My thoughts are, if it is banned from CA then it has to be the good stuff! The dumbshits in our state keep kicking shit out. All because they are scared of management! Isn’t that the whole premise for government, to manage?!?! Don’t get me going…..it is a very sore subject.

Ok. You kind of got me going! Last year they outlawed the cabinet finish that I sprayed for over 35 years! It was a conversion varnish, and it was bad ass shit! Now I have to settle for conversion lacquer, or worse, water based lacquer. They both suck! Just bullshit! Whatever. It is not the hill I am going to die on.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
What kit did you use? The black oxide is just controlled rust. I remember the instructions being really specific about the parts being grease/oil free. When I found a spot that wasnt clean the oxide was splotched. After I started with the spirit soak it seemed to get all the crap out.

It was an introductory kit off Amazon, boxed by Caswell. It came with a transformer, the bottle of blue liquid and an instruction sheet. Followed the instructions to the letter on the first batch. Came out very nice! On the second batch, well, they came out black and during the drying turned all rusty, blue and green! Really odd. Betting I contaminated the container at some point in the process. Live and learn - right! If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
My thoughts are, if it is banned from CA then it has to be the good stuff!
So true...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Betting I contaminated the container at some point in the process.

Did some more reading Jim on this. Found a few posts talking about that color being rust after the process was stopped. I think the implication was that there was still salts or acid on the part and the oxidation process just continued.

Anyways... Nice work on the peddle assy. Don't you just love it when a socket just happens to fit the thing your trying to press in. Of course you also hate it when you look thru everything you have and can't find one that does...

Parts i am looking for:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Betting I contaminated the container at some point in the process.

Did some more reading Jim on this. Found a few posts talking about that color being rust after the process was stopped. I think the implication was that there was still salts or acid on the part and the oxidation process just continued.

Anyways... Nice work on the peddle assy. Don't you just love it when a socket just happens to fit the thing your trying to press in. Of course you also hate it when you look thru everything you have and can't find one that does...

Hey Matthew!

Thanks for looking into it more deeply on my behalf. F’N salts or whatever that variable is! Real discolors my taste for plating. Maybe in the next week, if you have some time, you can show me your process. I am itching to try again, because that is just the way I am wired. Failure is not an option!

I do love it! And it was so cool to connect that ability to that set of sockets! Pretty cool moment in the garage! Feel a little strange saying that, but it is true!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

2 more hours in. Had a few minutes between Christmas preparations and Christmas shopping! It is nice to take a break from the Christmas rituals! And to commemorate the event, I clicked a picture!

Got the steering box in place and just snug. Sure it will need a tiny adjustment to be in line with the shaft, once the body gets back on the pan, for the final time. Installed the tie rod assemblies as well and got them within the ballpark on length. Hoping to get back out to the Bug in the next few weeks, but the schedule is filled with a multitude of social events.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

You might not be done. The design of the pedal assembly for an oval suffers from crosstalk between the clutch and brake pedal. Even after rebuilding with new bushings, it is common for the brake pedal to move when you push the clutch all the way in, or for the clutch pedal to move when you hit the brakes.

It might be a good idea to attach it to your pan with the cable, and with a helper pulling at the back, push the clutch to see if the brake pedal moves. Or, figure out a way to push against the brake pedal push rod to see what happens with the clutch pedal.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

You might not be done. The design of the pedal assembly for an oval suffers from crosstalk between the clutch and brake pedal. Even after rebuilding with new bushings, it is common for the brake pedal to move when you push the clutch all the way in, or for the clutch pedal to move when you hit the brakes.

It might be a good idea to attach it to your pan with the cable, and with a helper pulling at the back, push the clutch to see if the brake pedal moves. Or, figure out a way to push against the brake pedal push rod to see what happens with the clutch pedal.

Okay. I have never heard of that or had any first hand experience with that. That is too cool! That’s why the old man always said, “Never say never.” With a big grin on his face! It is like a classroom in here everyday!

I will add this to the list for items to go back and double check after the pan is together! I can see how this could very easily take place with the design. That clutch shaft would bind on the brake shaft, or vice versa, and the free pedal would follow. That thought crossed my mind during the rebushing, so I left them a loose fit instead of tight. I was taught by “Ed” to always leave shit looser “on these cars” because (you got to love this logic) “they are German and came to the US wound up too tight!” That guy was a complete asshole, but he knew ever nook and cranny of these little cars. He was not a teacher, per the norm. But rather a verbal slinging wizard! If you picked up what he was laying down, you could barely pull together a complete thought! I tolerated Ed, I had to, we worked side by side for 6 years, repairing ACVWs!

You got my mind running along. I forgot that he had a wooden leg, till right now! Man he was a character! A small framed Marbarol man, with a peg leg, that could beat most people in a fight. Not the sharpest younger, but could riddle off a verbal assault at a blink of an eye! I never knew him to be happy. He seemed to hate his life. I always felt bad for him and those decisions he made to get to where he was at! Then he would open his mouth and I would reset. He was the worst teacher and yet, he taught me the most! Fuck you Ed where ever you landed. Love you man!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Page 82 of 87

Jump to: