Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

Hello,

I need help adjusting my transmission cable on my 69 squareback. When I am in drive the transmission won’t engage unless I wiggle it between neutral and drive.

I have a Bentley and it talks about loosening a jam nut. I do not see a jam nut on my setup so I am wondering if something on my setup was cobbed together.

I am posting here to see if anyone has pictures of their cable setup on a automatic T3 so I can see if I am missing anything. Also if maybe somebody tell me how they adjust their cable if they have a better way than the Bentley describes.

Thanks for any help in advance.
posidude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

I hope this helps
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

I'm away from home, so I'm going off of memory. If I remember right, the Bentley says to put the shifter in park, then loosen this nut.

Then push the lever on the transmission forward and spin the rear wheels until the transmission parking paul engages and locks up the rear wheels, then tighten the nut. However, in reality, it is a two person job. Because of differential action, when you spin one wheel, the other will spin in the opposite direction. Thus the parking paul will not engage. To get the parking paul to engage, both wheels need to spin in the same direction. So grab a buddy, do as the Bentley says, spin the wheels in the same direction. When they lock up tighten the nut.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
I'm away from home, so I'm going off of memory. If I remember right, the Bentley says to put the shifter in park, then loosen this nut.

Then push the lever on the transmission forward and spin the rear wheels until the transmission parking paul engages and locks up the rear wheels, then tighten the nut. However, in reality, it is a two person job. Because of differential action, when you spin one wheel, the other will spin in the opposite direction. Thus the parking paul will not engage. To get the parking paul to engage, both wheels need to spin in the same direction. So grab a buddy, do as the Bentley says, spin the wheels in the same direction. When they lock up tighten the nut.

Thanks this does help. Are you able to get a picture of the bushing that goes in the detect lever to hold shifter rod.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

Take it apart & figure it out yourself or take it to a Mechanic! Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

The jam nut is on the lever. I has a hole for the metal end of the shift cable to fit through and the nut with a washer that when tightened down pinches the metal part of the cable. You should have a nut and washer on the outside of the shift lever on the trans ,on the trans side of the shift lever is a rod with a hole the metal end of the shift cable fits through the other end of the rod is threaded this makes up the pinch bolt . If it's missing at some point the nut and washer were removed and the pinch bolt fell out the trans side.

You need to post a photo of what you have, if it's missing then perhaps someone has one or you would need to make one. I know the pinch bolt head is larger than the hole in the shift lever and has a washer as it needs to pivot or it would bend the shift cable metal rod end and not hold adjustment , the way to remove it is to remove the nut and washer pull out the shift cable metal end then the pinch bolt comes out the trans side of the shift lever.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

Dont worry about the wheel spinning part. Put it in park. Loosen the nut then push the lever to the back of the car as far as it will go. Tighten the nut and see if that dose it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Take it apart & figure it out yourself or take it to a Mechanic! Rolling Eyes

I have taken it apart. Some used a crappy bushing in the lever what I am trying to is see what they factory bushing looks like so I can remake to look factory and how it was suppose to be factory installed.

Can I do it a different way and make it work, yes but I want this to look factory as possible since you can’t buy the correct bushing for the lever.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

I don't remember what the bushing looks like but I'd wager it's not anything special that you couldn't buy at Ace Hardware or NAPA?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Dont worry about the wheel spinning part. Put it in park. Loosen the nut then push the lever to the back of the car as far as it will go. Tighten the nut and see if that dose it.

^^^ Wrong ^^^ if you don't do this, your shift cable can be off as much as 3/8"

My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
highwheelerboy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

So in the manual is says move the lever towards the rear but earlier in this conversation someone said to push it forward…..so which is it?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

highwheelerboy22 wrote:
So in the manual is says move the lever towards the rear but earlier in this conversation someone said to push it forward…..so which is it?

If the manual says to the rear, I'd go to the rear. I'm sure the manual also calls out cycling the shifter to make sure it has full travel too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
highwheelerboy22 wrote:

If the manual says to the rear, I'd go to the rear. I'm sure the manual also calls out cycling the shifter to make sure it has full travel too.

Which is what I did above in the comment. I had to adjust in my 74 Bus - same tranny. And whom ever said I was wrong must of had some other issue. Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

You push the shift lever forward into Park. Then you move the lever on the transmission to the rear.

As you look at the construction of the gear selector inside of the car. When you push the gear selector lever forwards towards park, it pushes more of that cable rearward out of the bowden tube by the transmission.

If you pull the gear selection lever back towards the seats in the car, under the car it pulls the cable forward back into the tube.

Hope this helps, or at least not as clear as mud Very Happy
My builds
highwheelerboy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

Helps very much. Thanks folks. My car seems to be slipping while in 1st gear. If this adjustment doesn’t work I’ll be checking the modulator next. Once on flat ground 1st, 2nd, and 3 work just fine. I hoping it’s not a deeper trans issue, just going through the steps to sort it out.
highwheelerboy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

Just for my peace of mind, while I’m pushing on the lever do I need to be holding any tension on the cable? So I will place car into park, loosen nut, spin both rear wheels at same time until they lock, move arm towards rear of car and hold in place while I tighten nut? The reason I ask is I did this earlier and was able to turn both rear wheels forward at the same time while under the car but only one locked.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback automatic transmission cable adjustment help. Reply with quote

highwheelerboy22 wrote:
Just for my peace of mind, while I’m pushing on the lever do I need to be holding any tension on the cable? So I will place car into park, loosen nut, spin both rear wheels at same time until they lock, move arm towards rear of car and hold in place while I tighten nut? The reason I ask is I did this earlier and was able to turn both rear wheels forward at the same time while under the car but only one locked.

I think that's because it has an "open diff" (1 wheel peal).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: