Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Hey Andy, I certainly recommend that while you have the chance! The product I used was Cromax pro waterbase paint, following their procedure it was “1&1/2 coats” being one coat at 8-10” and the half coat at 15”. Waterbased covers very well. Then one medium coat of clear was all I did. We switched product lines to PPG Shopline so the remainder of the car will be done base/clear with their products.

Im exited to see your progress, Andy!

andybla wrote:
Was going to do the same with mine, paint the wheel tubs and after that put it on the chassis, just a question, how many layers have you put on? Was thinking about 2 layers of paint and 1 clear coat, or is that not enough?

1970 Squareback

Youtube: GrafsGarage3
Instagram: GrafsGarage
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Been awhile since some updates! Glad to report that there has been progress made regardless of life outside of this hobby!

I started with some quick changes. The underneath of the luggage tray was sprayed prior with the Lizard Skin sound deadener. Testing that products limits, It still didnt quite hide the patch panels I had in there. So going all out I scuffed it up and put putty over it to help blend it in a little better. I wanted to spray it body color and happened to have a rattle can that was a close match. The larger patch is still peaking through a little, but it looks good for what will mostly be unseen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Squareback

TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Touching up some body work, I blocked out the front end, fixed a point of damage where the old fender contacted the door and made those gaps better, re primed the door, front fenders, a spot on the drivers rocker and one rear quarter. Then an ambitious group of students decided to jamb the underneaths of the fenders and quarters.

Color!

Even sprayed a lesney original 1600TL Casting!

I also scored another fasty decklid that was better than the one I started with at Terryville, so I will be using this one.

1970 Squareback

vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Nice to see the progress. As usual, it fills me with nervous excitement at the idea that one day I might get some body work and paint done too!

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:
Nice to see the progress. As usual, it fills me with nervous excitement at the idea that one day I might get some body work and paint done too!

Thanks Amigo! You will get there someday too!
1970 Squareback

Fasty69Jester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Insane progress, watching every aspect you hit on all the welding and matching panels its gonna be a beautiful car to cruise in.

!!RCVDUBS!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Fasty69Jester wrote:
Insane progress, watching every aspect you hit on all the welding and matching panels its gonna be a beautiful car to cruise in.

I appreciate that! Really hoping to make more progress soon!!
1970 Squareback

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

It's looking good. The hard part will be coming soon though...putting it all back together. Nice score on the deck lid. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
It's looking good. The hard part will be coming soon though...putting it all back together. Nice score on the deck lid. Cool

I hope to have it together in time for the Type 3 Invasion! Thats the goals! The decklid and a pair of Solex’s off another 66 I scored for $60!
1970 Squareback

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

TheGrafs wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

I hope to have it together in time for the Type 3 Invasion! Thats the goals! The decklid and a pair of Solex’s off another 66 I scored for $60!

Nice. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

good luck with the reassembly!! Especially the first drive after that Cool
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
good luck with the reassembly!! Especially the first drive after that Cool

I cannot wait man! Thanks! Cool
1970 Squareback

DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

The phrase "an ambitious group of students" is extremely powerful. I'd empower that crew with all the projects they would dare to try!
Great job!! You are changing lives!
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
The phrase "an ambitious group of students" is extremely powerful. I'd empower that crew with all the projects they would dare to try!

I appreciate that, Dan! Certainly changed my life as a student to be asked to come back and be the teacher! As a teacher I want them to be excited but dont want the reputation as the teacher who makes his students work on all his “junk” but they are begging me to work on this stuff! Ill link the wheels we worked on together!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=783208
1970 Squareback

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

TheGrafs wrote:
DQDan wrote:

I appreciate that, Dan! Certainly changed my life as a student to be asked to come back and be the teacher! As a teacher I want them to be excited but dont want the reputation as the teacher who makes his students work on all his “junk” but they are begging me to work on this stuff! Ill link the wheels we worked on together!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=783208

If they're begging to work on it, don't turn them away, but rather get them involved some more. Offer it to them, ask them if they just want to do more. My son took some automotive classes thru the college, where they have classes for 3 months, then work at the dealership for 3 months. They rotate that thru for 2 years, while getting their certifications, and a full time job at the dealership. Rob has found that some of the classes left a lot to be desired when it came to working at the dealership (learned more doing the actual work). Your students might be running into this as well. Remember, not all students learn the same way. Some are gifted with their hands while others are with their minds.
He was doing rust repair work on his own stuff just putzing around out in my garage, and I think that motivated him to look into doing something (a skill) that he could take and go anywhere with. So far he's totally rebuilt the 6 speed trans in his 07 Honda Civic Si, learned how to do a timing chain in it as well, along with rebuilding the front end suspension and brakes. He's also been learning about rebuilding the AT in his 2010 Jetta, and rebuilding the front end on it too, and was working on their 08 Honda Pilot, until they replaced it with an AWD 2015 Equinox. He's got most of the bugs worked out of it now, and his wife drives it daily to work, and they take it on vacations too.
Trying to get kids motivated today is the hard part, so you have to encourage them. Far too many are more interested in video games, than working with their hands. Your Fastback project is a great example and a good teaching source, as you bought it cheap, fixed the rust, and body worked it. Soon it'll be back on the road for probably 2 new car payments, and your students can see that. That kind of thing could motivate them to look into older cars that they could afford. Maybe do up a spread sheet for your class to show how much money you've put into it.Most of us here do the same thing, although we don't want to track the dollars we've spent, because that'll scare us. Laughing I know I've spent way too much on a few projects, and my wife's daily driver just got about 1200+ tossed into it over the last 3 weeks. And that was with me doing the work. And also in the usual fashion some things just snowball into snowmen, as other things get fixed along the way. Living in the "rust belt" keeps things interesting, and keeps body repair shops busy.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Quote:
Your Fastback project is a great example and a good teaching source, as you bought it cheap, fixed the rust, and body worked it. Soon it'll be back on the road for probably 2 new car payments, and your students can see that. That kind of thing could motivate them to look into older cars that they could afford. Maybe do up a spread sheet for your class to show how much money you've put into it.Most of us here do the same thing, although we don't want to track the dollars we've spent, because that'll scare us. Laughing I know I've spent way too much on a few projects, and my wife's daily driver just got about 1200+ tossed into it over the last 3 weeks. And that was with me doing the work. And also in the usual fashion some things just snowball into snowmen, as other things get fixed along the way. Living in the "rust belt" keeps things interesting, and keeps body repair shops busy.

Bob I really appreciate all that! I happen to have a spreadsheet of my dollar amount into the car and even track every hour I and others have spent working on it. Makes for a good lesson! Great words, Bob!
1970 Squareback

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Well said Bob. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Back from being down south a few months and wasted no time getting back at it! Washed, disassembled and buzzed down the outside of the new decklid. Way nicer than the one that I started with.

1970 Squareback

TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Got some work in on the new fastback decklid. Also had to do some putty work on the hood.

Let a student of mine get some more spraying practice and we used some leftover Cromax Le3004 Primer surfacer after some epoxy left behind by another student was used.

He did an excellent job with his form and technique, however, the leftover primer surfacer came to bite us in the end with some lifting.

One thing my students do is document the whole process of the projects we work on. This includes the mistakes made and trouble we face. No need to worry, we were able to correct it.

My hopes was after a week or so the primer was dry enough to block so I tried an inline sander with 180.... nope not dry.

The primer was still so gummy that i was scraping it off the 40 grit paper to reuse the paper! Laughing Embarassed Shocked

Then since that took longer than it should, I used urethane reducer and shop towels like a paint stripper and scraped it all off. Rolling Eyes

Afterwords, nooks and crannies were sand blasted in the cabinet, and the bare metal was sanded with 80 grit to prep for body work, again!

This time, rather than try again with any leftover products, PPG shopline epoxy jp335 and jp202 primer surfacer was used and made both panels looks WAYYYY better than before. Also fixed a small ding on a fender while the primer was in the gun. Problem solved!

1970 Squareback

Tram
Samba Socialist

Location: Still Feelin' the Bern- Once you've felt it you can't un- feel it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fastback Build thread - TheGrafs Reply with quote

Looks like someone forgot the catalyst! Smile

Bryan67 wrote:
Just my hands. And a little lube. No tools.

To best contact me, please use the EMAIL function in my profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: