Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cipica, VW 1303S from '74
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Great pictures, so cool that your family is into the Bug!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
I struck gold! I bought a set of 6J Cookies, ET36. This means the tire will move in ~13mm, so hopefully this will solve my issue with tires rubbing on fenders when going over irregular roads, bumps, etc.

Excellent! Congratulations
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Great pictures, so cool that your family is into the Bug!

Well, I'm not sure I mentioned that my wife has a '64 sunroof with original paint, waiting for restoration. I already started to bring home bits and pieces (the car is ~450km away in a garage at my father's house).
"Everybody loves the Bug"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

The flared fenders look very good on your Beetle.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Thank you, the flared fenders were necessary due to the increased track using Porsche brakes. I like them mote than the inner widened ones, which I find disproportionate.
Nothing much happened, just painted the 6J front wheels and polished lips, but did not swap tires yet. It's cold. But I have a nice score, a Boxster spare wheel. I had a 7J Cookie for spare, which protruded too much out of the spare wheel well, so the whole trunk looked bad. This is 105/95/17, does not interfere with the brakes, fits well, and came with the aluminum jack and holder. I still have to throw out unnecesaary tools, but the trunk is muck vleaner now, and the carpet sits level.
A friend noticed it looks so much like Weltmeisters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Because I'm weird, I found an early 912 wheel 15x4.5 for a spare. The outer is rusted through in places so I'm having it rebanded with a 3 inch wide band for a "temporary" tire. I'm running 185 65R 15s front and 205 60R 15s rear. I calculated the size temporary tire needed to be the approximate same rolling diameter. I can't remember the size off the top of my head, and I'm at work soI can't check.

This way I'll have a modern looking spare in the correct size with the 5x130 pcd. I will get it powder coated black when it's completed.

H2OSB
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

I checked several variants, the steel spares from older 911s was one of the option. I can easily find them with the "space saver tire", however they are very expensive. From size point of view, I am reluctant to 15", simply because it was a pain you know where to install a set over the large Brembo calipers. Width is usually fine on space savers, 155 or 165. There are other options from 928 or newer 911s, 16" aluminum. Same PCD is on several SUVs, like VW Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne, but the spares are large, usually 195 wide.
From diameter point of view, this 986 wheel (105/95/17) is actually very close to the original 155/82/15, and not too far away from the 185/65/15 and 195/65/15 I have on the car. Anyway it is for emergency use only.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

I really like 15 inch wheels on Beetles...nothing wrong with larger diameter, just my preference. Anyway, I planned my brakes for 15 inch wheels.

My original plan was to run the 15x4.5 wheel as my spare, but upon close inspection, I thought it looked like the band might be rusted through in places. I took the wheel to be sand blasted, but was told the chrome would need to be removed first. Ultimately, it turned out the band was rusted through in multiple locations. Fortunately, the center section is in good nick. Luckily for me, I live near a nationally know wheel restorer called Stockton Wheel. I was just going to have them reband the wheels with a 4.5 in wide band, but then I got the idea to use a 3 inch wide band like a temp spare. I don't remember how I located my temp tire source...I THINK it came from some Volvo and was found on Ebay. Not overly expensive. Perhaps $100 shipped

If I were smart, which I'm not, I'd have just used one of my 944 steel spares(I have 5) but I wanted something narrow to take up minimal spa e in the trunk.

H2OSB
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Subscribed. Nice thread. Enjoyed it since I also have a 74 super and similar aged family.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
I really like 15 inch wheels on Beetles...nothing wrong with larger diameter, just my preference. Anyway, I planned my brakes for 15 inch wheels.

My original plan was to run the 15x4.5 wheel as my spare, but upon close inspection, I thought it looked like the band might be rusted through in places. I took the wheel to be sand blasted, but was told the chrome would need to be removed first. Ultimately, it turned out the band was rusted through in multiple locations. Fortunately, the center section is in good nick. Luckily for me, I live near a nationally know wheel restorer called Stockton Wheel. I was just going to have them reband the wheels with a 4.5 in wide band, but then I got the idea to use a 3 inch wide band like a temp spare. I don't remember how I located my temp tire source...I THINK it came from some Volvo and was found on Ebay. Not overly expensive. Perhaps $100 shipped

If I were smart, which I'm not, I'd have just used one of my 944 steel spares(I have 5) but I wanted something narrow to take up minimal spa e in the trunk.

H2OSB

C'mon! You're indulging yourself, I know what you can do Wink. Same for me, I'm a fan of how the 15" wheels look on the Bug, not bigger (also law does not allow). That 17"is spare only, use in case of emergency, so I don't care much.
I'd like to know more on the 944 steel spares, what size are they? I also had in my mind to have a set of 15" Porsche steel wheels, but I knew only the 912 had those, or some spares. But all are extremely expensive.

@boxer74, thank you! However, nothing much happens on this page now, I just post from time to time the fun part of having the bug. Not much to do now on it.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Radu

They are 15x5.5 and ET30(I believe). I'll confirm today when I get home from work. They take 912 chrome hubcaps. The come with the same collapsible tire as the red alloy spares have. I have an extra one. I will sell it to you for $20(yes, twenty) more than the shipping to you. Only to you, if you're interested. Otherwise I'm going to hang onto it.

I think I have a pic of one with one of my 912 hubcaps installed but I need to load it onto the Samba.

My lunch break is over. More in a bit.
H2OSB

Last edited by H2OSB on Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Correction. The steel wheels are 15x5.5, ET42

H2OSB
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Yes, they look nice, similar to the originals. I've followed a restoration topic of a czech guy, he used same wheels. Do the VW hub caps fit?
For my car, I like more the Porsche aluminum, it gives it a more aggressive, German Look. The idea to have a set of steelies was in case things start to go down and I might have to register it as historic vehicle. Here the certificate is given by a private club who want only original cars (at least to look), as came out of the factory. Or the modifications have to be older than 30 years.
I have to borrow a wheel fron a friend and test fit it. I am curious if it clears the Brembos on front.
So than you for the offer, but I have to pass for the moment, even if it is waaaay too good. Right now I am spending all cents restoring my wife's 64, and just the bare necessities for mine.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

No, unfortunately VW hub caps do not fit. Porsche 944s never had any hub caps for these wheels, but if you look closely at my pics without the hub cap you can see cleats. I took a chance and bought the set of well used 912 caps(because the wheel shaped looked very similar to me). Turns out they fit perfectly

I agree about Porsche alloy wheels. I have a set of 15x6 original Phone Dials I intends to run as my daily wheels, and a set of the 15x5.5 red alloy spares I will use for autocross tires. I like the steel wheels with hub caps for more of an Outlaw look, however they're pretty heavy.
H2OSB
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Outlaw look, yes.
If I think of it, I am quite a wheel nut: 2x 6J15 Cookies, 5x 7J15 Cookies, 2x 7J 15 ET 51 Phonies, 4x 7J15 ET 23 Phonies, 1x 16J Phonie, 1x 7J15 ET 36 Phonie (these last two are on the grill), the new 17" spare, plus a set of original steels. And these are only for my car.
5x wide five steels for wife's 64, one is dated 2/53.
2x sets for the Dacias
2x 14", plus 1x 12" from the caravan (now it has the correct 13" wheels) - must get rid of them
4x 7J15 Exip wheels with Ford PCD that came with the "new" body when I restored the Bug - I will make some tables out of them

And I would live to have a set of Rivieras and a set of ATS Classic just for the looks, and a set of Porsche steels for the reason above.

Phonies= Porsche Phone Dials.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

My wife would be....very angry with me, if I had all those wheels. I would love a set of, shoot, I can't think of the name. The wheels that look like a burner top. Nevertheless, I can't justify another set of wheels since I only have one car. For a while, I had two cars. Perhaps then.

H2OSB
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Here's how I fixed the spare wheel issue: home made 4" wide, 5x130 Porsche lug pattern spare wheel...

https://www.aircooledaddiction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3496#p3496
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
Here's how I fixed the spare wheel issue: home made 4" wide, 5x130 Porsche lug pattern spare wheel...

Very nice! That's essentially my plan, minus the welding skills. I was thinking zero offset because my band will only be 3 inches wide so shouldn't hit anywhere. How did you determine the best offset? Visual appearance? Some calculation?

H2OSB
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Maddel wrote:

... How did you determine the best offset? Visual appearance? Some calculation?

Based on the stock offset as a starting point it was just visual appearance to make sure the caliper cleared the inner rim.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Nice work, Maddel! I think I wouldn't have the skills to align the center properly to the barrel, unless I had a lathe. So you had the the same issue I did, with even thinner wheel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: