Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
25yearproject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Car is in great condition, been stored inside for about 40 years. The title says 1951, but the I.D. plate says 1950. Car has mechanical brakes, chrome groved bumpers and chrome handles. No side trim or hood emblem, and has the the 3 spoke steering wheel. Is this a standard done Amercan style, or did someone swap some parts at some point. After changing oil, adjusting valves, rebuilding the fuel pump, and flushing the fuel system, I got it to run and drive in about an hour. One question off the bat is that it has a fuel gauge, I will post pics of that later. Was there ever a fuel gauge offered as a new car?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Cool!!! Pictures would be awesome!

Really great that you got it running!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
25yearproject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Here's the car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

25yearproject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Had a rough time uploading pics as you can tell, not sure what I was doing wrong. Confused
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Never mind about the pict.. better double uploaded as none Wink
You are lucky twice..
A) you scored a family car...
B) Seems a real solid split so far with correct wings, lights, bumpers and wheels. Brakes with cables are on deluxe until march 50, Standard until 60, with lack of side trim and 3 spoke, it seems you have a standard.

Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

that looks a beauty! Dancing
the lack of round grilles in the front wings and the lovely correct period style horn mounted externally also point towards it being a standard of some sort. do you know how/where your father got it?

you can go back and remove the duplicate photos by clicking on the edit button in the top right of your post...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

I have a '50 Standard that is pretty close to yours that was a Hoffman import with what was known as " Swedish " trim, chrome door handles inside and out, headlight rings, bumpers, and hubcaps and bumper mounted horn, although, mine did not have the windshield trim like yours when I got it. I'll see if I can find the " M " code that's on the birth certificate. Very nice find and amazing history, congratulations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Now THAT is a family treasure!! Very Happy
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Congratulations and its a very nice little standard Cool
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

… your dad and I are on the same page - i'm leaving all my treasures to our son as well - i'll bet he'll be as thankful, as you are - very nice - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Sick standard what will be the plan with it?

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Super cool , looking forward to some interior pics
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
I have a '50 Standard that is pretty close to yours that was a Hoffman import with what was known as " Swedish " trim, chrome door handles inside and out, headlight rings, bumpers, and hubcaps and bumper mounted horn, although, mine did not have the windshield trim like yours when I got it. I'll see if I can find the " M " code that's on the birth certificate. Very nice find and amazing history, congratulations.

screen trim was introduced in april 51 so is probably a later fitment if it is a 50 car...

25yearproject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
… your dad and I are on the same page - i'm leaving all my treasures to our son as well - i'll bet he'll be as thankful, as you are - very nice - z

Unfortunately, my Dad passed in 2004. The car has been stored at his parents house, which is now my uncle's house for a looooong time. After my older sister wrecked the Ford Maverick right before I was old enough to drive, my Dad got us a '73 Super beetle. I have been a VW guy ever since. I will probably leave the exterior alone for now, because if I was to redo the paint, then I would want to go all the way. The interior will probably get redone first, my uncle had the seats redone at some point, and are due again. I still need to fix the Notchback next to it.
25yearproject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about this gas gauge?
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

25yearproject wrote:

Hello,
Beck accessory gauge, “mechanical” style. The button on the right is used to “activate” the gauge. The hex bezel is missing and may be somewhere inside the interior of the car; look in the glovebox.
Look up “Beck fuel gauge” in the forums, there should be some threads.
Be careful with the gauge itself, avoid blowing air into the pressure “bung”
until you understand how it works.
Best Regards,
Al
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

25yearproject wrote:

looks like pearl grey L21, three spoke wheel, dark bakelite knobs all features of a standard. that respray might come off with a bit of gentle coaxing...

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

OMT wrote:
25yearproject wrote:

Hello,
Beck accessory gauge, “mechanical” style. The button on the right is used to “activate” the gauge. The hex bezel is missing and may be somewhere inside the interior of the car; look in the glovebox.
Look up “Beck fuel gauge” in the forums, there should be some threads.
Be careful with the gauge itself, avoid blowing air into the pressure “bung”
until you understand how it works.
Best Regards,
Al

i'd get rid of the fuel gauge and get used to relying on the fuel reserve - a great old-school feature- and those seat covers gotta' go, in favor of something more period - very nice old bug - real nice that you have the opportunity to carry on in your dad's footsteps - z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

i'd get rid of the fuel gauge and get used to relying on the fuel reserve - a great old-school feature- and those seat covers gotta' go, in favor of something more period - very nice old bug - real nice that you have the opportunity to carry on in your dad's footsteps - z

Really? You'd get rid of the period accessory that your dad installed? Wow

IMO, that car is perfect. It's what a lot of guys dream of, especially with it's worn charm and the personal connection to you. Dollars cannot reproduce that. Aside from normal maintenance and preventative stuff, I would be happy to leave it alone. Perhaps seat covers, as motioned.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Got my dad's split he bought in '54, need some help Reply with quote

esde wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Really? You'd get rid of the period accessory that your dad installed? Wow

IMO, that car is perfect. It's what a lot of guys dream of, especially with it's worn charm and the personal connection to you. Dollars cannot reproduce that. Aside from normal maintenance and preventative stuff, I would be happy to leave it alone. Perhaps seat covers, as motioned.

Yup - like i'd hope, my son will personalize my old cars, when he gets 'um - to carry-on being his own-man and not exactly like old zen - if he has a different idea - go for it is what I always taught him - more than one-way to do everything - guess you and I, Mr. esde, see it differently and that's okay too - I agree, that car is close to perfect - z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: