Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

I like that alternator... looks like a generator until you look closely.
Does it fit the stock mounting?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Im waiting on the strap and the boot for the alternator. When I get that, then Ill post up some playin around pics.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

I was going to take the time to hide the advertisement side of the wires - good tip with the acetone Wink Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Does on mine. Boot and strap both fit.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Does on mine. Boot and strap both fit.

Yes it's made to replace the 6v gen. 90mm diameter. They have a bigger 12v gen version as,well.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Nothing big going on progress wise. Im waiting on a friggin gen strap and boot. I've had piles of these things sitting around over the years Rolling Eyes But without any real resto's going on at my place, these parts have slowly been given or sold to others in need. Now when I need one, I don't have it on hand. Laughing There is the plug for hoarding and why sometimes it pays off. Wink

Trams tip was implemented with my sexy copper core blue wires - acetone to remove the lettering. I also bought some NGK 1/2 spark plugs to run as I initially thought the new heads I bought were the 3/4. Nope - stock, stock, stock - 14mm - 1/2 thread. Confused But I did locate some vintage pink BERU in 1/2" - waiting to arrive.

Pulled out the NOS air cleaner intake boot with 341 PN on it. I also have an oil bath with a 341 PN on it to as this Brazilian filter type air cleaner I have on it now is just this iteration of what I may settle on.

Im working on a solution to the upper kidney HE attachment to the main HE off the fan housing spouts at the moment. If it works, Ill post it. So stay tuned.

Im not far off from having everything fitted before I pull some things off to nickel plate - fasteners, the OG ones mostly - so pretty much all of them.

All final muffler plumbing is next to fit this Vintage Speed as best as possible. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Showing shots now with the Tudor 12 volt Alternator installed with the "bug" fan side shaft removed. It bolts in for clean looking alternative on a 6 Volt fan housing. Im excited to have a peppy electrical system that wont crap out and have bright, crisp lighting at night.

Shot of the new clutch installed and the second choice of oil bath air cleaner to run. It has the small right side, often not seen in the US let alone abroad. Not to be confused with the second iteration of this cleaner that has the mixer integrated in the intake snout and the left side carburetor connector being removable like the left side. Third choice would be to fit a stock standard Type 34 PN air cleaner. I have three for some reason Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

killer!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Shot of the new clutch installed and the second choice of oil bath air cleaner to run.

I thought you were running an IRS trans with this engine. If so you're not supposed to run that bearing on the clutch, as it should be bare fingers. At least all of my IRS transmissions run the bare finger model of clutch. Just a heads up. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

I sure do Bob. Only reason I hadn't removed the center is I was not sure if I could.

I was looking for the answer. Can I remove this type of retainer and have the clutch be IRS compatible with the IRS throw-out even though this is set up for early swing type? Or do I need a IRS clutch without the center?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Yes, you can remove it. I believe it just pops off. That's the thing about that PP, that center ring just clips on.
Or you can get a 200mm IRS clutch, and give that one to Jack as a spare.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

I like the late model oil bath. Especially since one can jet the carbs the same. That’s what I did. 🙂
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

The rear seat area is narrower in the convertible due to the boxing out stiffening and the pockets on the sides for the to to fold down into. So the seat is custom made as well. Pedro does some real nice work. 😎🤙🌺

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Tuesday I brought the Ghia home. I couldn't till now because Pedro was still making adjustments to the top before we get canvas put on. All last detail work on mine needs to be done at Jacks, with the car and the frame - after Pedro figured his out with the Top Shop. Cool Work still goes on with the adjustments needed for that Stock Karmann Fit. Wink

But its this quiet time that people need to realize has lots of work going on in the background. Figurin, testin, fitin, redoin, fussin and cursin. After a success, drinkin. Laughing

First big thing to tackle - Engine and Trans fitment.

Placing the Soul of the car back on Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Looks good sitting at your house Jason, almost like it belongs there. Wink
Yeah all of the behind the scenes work that nobody sees has to be done, or the project goes no where. Look at ALL the stuff Pedro did to his, including adding all of the trinkets that make a 62 a correct 62. Or all of the things that make it a correct vert, like the interior latches for the top. All of that part searching that goes on behind the scene, for the correct look. And it's not just the look, but also the function. It has to work.
Pedro has it harder than you do, in that he's trying to make a correct 62 (not many survivors), while you're adding some upgrades to your 64 "S" model. Yes, some of it won't be seen, while other parts will be. But then this IS your last type 3 that you're planning to build. It's looking damn good though, and ALL of that hard work is starting to pay off. Great job. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Yeah all of the behind the scenes work that nobody sees has to be done, or the project goes no where. Look at ALL the stuff Pedro did to his, including adding all of the trinkets that make a 62 a correct 62. Or all of the things that make it a correct vert, like the interior latches for the top. All of that part searching that goes on behind the scene, for the correct look. And it's not just the look, but also the function. It has to work.
Pedro has it harder than you do, in that he's trying to make a correct 62 (not many survivors), while you're adding some upgrades to your 64 "S" model. Yes, some of it won't be seen, while other parts will be. But then this IS your last type 3 that you're planning to build. It's looking damn good though, and ALL of that hard work is starting to pay off. Great job. Cool

Bob Amigo
Only Few like yourself Experience and done a Full Process Restoration
Realize Parts are Getting Harder and Harder and Expensive every Day

And understand to try to be Consistent in the Restoration Not Easy

And Look and Find the Correct Part is Difficult

Is Funny FULL STOCK PROJECTS sometimes Only Takes ONE WRONG part
To RUIN the LOOK You Expecting

This 64 Cabrio is another Story
I Agree and Always being favor With Upgrades

Cabrioboy (Jasón) will be and Interesting One Build
Can’t Wait to see it Done and Drive it too
A well Combo Elegant Anthracite with Red Brick Interior is
Outstanding WOW

This is NOT a Ordinary Build is
EXTREME Time and Patience Required on These Two Cabrios
And Carefully Assembly since Everything is Meticulously hand Made and Extra Fabrication Supports Etc
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Agreed. Beautiful color combo - it's gonna be a stunner. Well done guys, can't wait to see more
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

pedro sainz wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Bob Amigo
Only Few like yourself Experience and done a Full Process Restoration
Realize Parts are Getting Harder and Harder and Expensive every Day

And understand to try to be Consistent in the Restoration Not Easy

And Look and Find the Correct Part is Difficult

Is Funny FULL STOCK PROJECTS sometimes Only Takes ONE WRONG part
To RUIN the LOOK You Expecting

This 64 Cabrio is another Story
I Agree and Always being favor With Upgrades

Cabrioboy (Jasón) will be and Interesting One Build
Can’t Wait to see it Done and Drive it too
A well Combo Elegant Anthracite with Red Brick Interior is
Outstanding WOW

This is NOT a Ordinary Build is
EXTREME Time and Patience Required on These Two Cabrios
And Carefully Assembly since Everything is Meticulously hand Made and Extra Fabrication Supports Etc

Oh yeah, the color combo is fantastic, and go very well together. Jason had a plan on how he wanted this car done, and IS sticking with it.
Just like I had a plan when I built my 65 Notch, and stuck with it too. And YES, I know finding parts is getting harder and harder to find. Before the internet came along it was even harder unless you knew somebody, now all you have to do is put up a WTB and you can find it. Add in that these cars were hand built originally, then converted to a cabrio by hand, and they're basically totally hand built cars. So much so that props go out to both you and Jason and the entire type 3 factory. I look forward to seeing them being driven around. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Yes, some of it won't be seen, while other parts will be. But then this IS your last type 3 that you're planning to build. It's looking damn good though, and ALL of that hard work is starting to pay off. Great job. Cool

Thanks for the kind words guys. Takes a village on this build for sure. Albeit my driver wont be taken from an August 1963 VW Catalog Sales brochure if it existed for the Cabrio, but remove the steering wheel, wheels, shifter and it would be - visually a stock car. By design so that if in the future I or the next owner wants to - they can for sure.

Had some time to do some hand built tweaking. Lined the lower back seat sides up to fit it al snug.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Modified Kustom piece.

Convertible frunk lock. Before this project I didn't know these were a thing. Now I think this addition is great and have been wanting to modify a T1 to fit a T34 since I found out. Pedro did his awhile back to copy the real verts in Germany. I just followed suit.

Stock unmodified:

After sacrificing a big button glovebox release and grinding the shit out of the stock hood release housing to marry the pieces up:

In Pedro's

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: