Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
My plan is to incorporate the idle control to Vanagon chip from the G60 version of Digifant ECU. That allows full closed loop idle control with input from A/C etc. and controls the ISV from the ECU. It also adjusts timing as well to help stabilize the idle. I have already added cylinder selective knock control to the Vanagon chip for my 10:1 2745 cc build. This approach will eliminate the ICM and allow full control of idle parameters like RPM vs ECT.

Wait. So you’re working on a complete ECU that eliminates the ICU and Zoti is working on an ICU? Just trying to keep this straight. I’m all in for a new ECU!!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Wait. So you’re working on a complete ECU that eliminates the ICU and Zoti is working on an ICU? Just trying to keep this straight. I’m all in for a new ECU!!

Not a complete ECU as such. The later digifant ECU from the supercharged G60 engine has the components necessary for closed loop idle control and cylinder selective knock control. I am just adding the code to the Vanogon chip. The G60 digifant ECU will need a few components changed if the AFM is retained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Let us know how we can help! Need ECUs, beta testers etc!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Let us know how we can help! Need ECUs, beta testers etc!

Let me get it working first. I have all the things I need for now. Once I get the knock control working on my van, I will move to idle control. It is also possible to eliminate the AFM if I use the map sensor that the G60 ECU also supports- would need to switch to 1 bar sensor from 2 bar.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Might wanna start a new thread of your own on your ECU project instead of hijacking this thread.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
My plan is to incorporate the idle control to Vanagon chip from the G60 version of Digifant ECU. That allows full closed loop idle control with input from A/C etc. and controls the ISV from the ECU. It also adjusts timing as well to help stabilize the idle. I have already added cylinder selective knock control to the Vanagon chip for my 10:1 2745 cc build. This approach will eliminate the ICM and allow full control of idle parameters like RPM vs ECT.

That would also require re wiring stuff? No? Maybe even a whole new wiring harness.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Another tease and progress post regarding out idle stabilizer control unit.
We are hoping to test the prototype tomorrow. We were planing for today but it was raining. So hopefully tomorrow we will be able to do it and I'm planing to get some video.
The basic layout of the PCB is done. Subject to change. We are still working on it. The whole idea is to make this thing a plug and play unit. You remove the one from the 80's and install this one. It will come pre set but you'll be able to connect a laptop to it and update some settings to get your car to run as smooth as you like it.
Here are some pictures of the design.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

this is great!! beautiful!

i know the reason for SMD but i soooo want thru hole devices so it can be repaired by mere mortals. *pretty please*?!!! i know, i know.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
this is great!! beautiful!

i know the reason for SMD but i soooo want thru hole devices so it can be repaired by mere mortals. *pretty please*?!!! i know, i know.

What do you mean, "thru hole"?

You will be able to plug a Laptop via usb and change some settings and also diagnose some issues.

It can tell you if the TPS, A/C or PS switch are on. You will be able to set the target idle for when A/C and PS is on (load on the engine).

I'm hoping for more control when the engine is warming up as well. Target idle setup within a certain range (some want idle at 900RPM, some at 1000RPM).

We are also thinking of giving the user the option to set idle to 3000RPM for timing setup. No more asking your wife to hold the engine at 3000RPM when you are trying to set up timing. It will automatically cut off after a minute or anything else we determine is enough time to set the timing.

What else would you want to see?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

through hole parts are those with leads that go through holes in the PCB and are soldered on the foil side. they are easy to repair but require a larger board. that design is using SMD or Surface Mount Devices that are assembled using different techniques.

i really like the proposed feature set, especially the ability to set a warm up RPM and the 3k option. one idea, and it would add to the cost, is to have this on a 'breakout cable' that would mount the actual board in the engine bay. some LEDs for the AC, PS switch status plus switches or buttons to toggle the the 3k. the location behind the tail light is wet, dusty, and ignored. a little Pelican box with a clear cover, breakout cable to the socket behind the tail light would be sweet!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
through hole parts are those with leads that go through holes in the PCB and are soldered on the foil side. they are easy to repair but require a larger board. that design is using SMD or Surface Mount Devices that are assembled using different techniques.

i really like the proposed feature set, especially the ability to set a warm up RPM and the 3k option. one idea, and it would add to the cost, is to have this on a 'breakout cable' that would mount the actual board in the engine bay. some LEDs for the AC, PS switch status plus switches or buttons to toggle the the 3k. the location behind the tail light is wet, dusty, and ignored. a little Pelican box with a clear cover, breakout cable to the socket behind the tail light would be sweet!

The wiring for the idle control relay is long enough as is.
I relocated my relay on my 86 into a waterproof box next to the Power Steering reservoir.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

Gotcha. I'm the idea guy. My buddy is the engineer.

So, this will be weather proof and will be enclosed in a box. There will be no LED on the board but you will be able to read all the inputs and outputs with a simple piece of software.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

again, driving the cost up but in the idea phase... how about a bluetooth interface for PC or phone? it would eliminate opening the waterproof box to connect the USB cable. the cost MAY balance out if a cheaper, less openable/robust box is used if a BT connection can be made!

note Dave's comment that there is enough wire to bring that connector into the engine bay!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
again, driving the cost up but in the idea phase... how about a bluetooth interface for PC or phone? it would eliminate opening the waterproof box to connect the USB cable. the cost MAY balance out if a cheaper, less openable/robust box is used if a BT connection can be made!

note Dave's comment that there is enough wire to bring that connector into the engine bay!

We are ahead of you Smile

Bluetooth requires certification from the FCC driving up the cost and time to market.

You only need to input / output for diagnostics so there's no point in putting LEDs. Even an old laptop will work since you are reading and sending very little info.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

We have done our initial test today to see that the prototype can control and stabilize the idle and it works. On to the next step.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
We have done our initial test today to see that the prototype can control and stabilize the idle and it works. On to the next step.

dang! NICE work! always exciting to have a prototype work.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

Exciting!
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
zoti wrote:

dang! NICE work! always exciting to have a prototype work.

We still have a lot more work to do. We are going to get a few actual PCB ready for testing. That will take a few weeks.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

This is such a great idea. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Unit Alternative Reply with quote

This is such a great idea. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: