Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help ID’ing King Pin beam and trailing arms
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Help ID’ing King Pin beam and trailing arms Reply with quote

I bought this used beam from a Craigslist score. It actually belonged to KraZy Baja, a guy that use to be pretty frequent on here. He had that Krazy Baja with a Ford ranger front suspension, like one million x one million rear trailing arms and a Toyota 22re. I’ve tried contacting him but to no avail. I need help with a few things with this new beam.
I’m in the process of building a roll cage. Ive finished with the portion inside the cab, for now, and need to start thinking about extending the cage forwards to meet the beam. But before I do that, I need to know the general location of where it’s going to end up. And to know that, I need to know the specs on this thing. So hopefully that’s where y’all come in.

How much wider do you think this beam is? Wheel face to wheel face is around 65.5”
How much wider and longer do you think these trailing arms are?
Is that a 3” lift king pin?
I’ve been planning on cutting off the frame head to extend the beam 6” forwards. Does that seem ok for this beam?
At what elevation, in relation to the cab, do I mount this beam? I’m kind of thinking that because it has a 3” lift king pin (or at least I think that’s what’s going on with that king pin), that I should mount it a little higher in relation to the body, to bring the body height down. I don’t want that Carolina lean those lame asses have on their pretty mall crawler trucks with giant 26” wheels and chromed suspension that never see dirt and look like they have a load in the bed but are really just a bunch of blown out ass holes with the personality of a used condom.
Lol. Any way. Here’s the pics with measurements.
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2137888.jpg[/image]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID’ing King Pin beam and trailing arms Reply with quote

Those are +4 arms.

Yes the combo spindles are 3" lift.

The beam width really doesn't matter whether its a +5, or a +6 or a +8, or even a +12. That wont change how you build the car. Note that in the 2nd to last picture [img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2137892.jpg
[/img] when he cut the beam off the frame, he left gusset tubes out to the end of the beam. That's important. I've seen WAY too many beams bent because they're not supported out to the end. But the supports need to not get in the way of the tie rods.

You should probably extend the beam mounts off the cage about 4" forward of where it would be if attached direct to the pan head. Mount it so the beam is not vertical with one tube straight above the other. It should lean back about 6° for proper caster at the wheels.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: