Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Dave, as always thanks.

I updated my previous post with an adjustable solution that should work great.

The only problem will be I won't be able to fit in the garage.

In the rear driver side of the van, I have the Vanagon Life CB antenna with an 18" antenna. I wonder if I can get away with having it back there.

Or better yet, run two cables - with the ability to easily switch from rear antenna to a pop-top antenna (for longer duration camp sites or as needed).

Maybe I could rig something up with the Gary Lee hatch rack. Maybe.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Dave, as always thanks.

In the rear driver side of the van, I have the Vanagon Life CB antenna with an 18" antenna. I wonder if I can get away with having it back there.

Or better yet, run two cables - with the ability to easily switch from rear antenna to a pop-top antenna (for longer duration camp sites or as needed).

Mounting the antenna in the back might work fine, however you have to remember that the exterior antenna and the WeBoost interior antenna have to be separated as far as possible or you will get errors in the form of blinking lights from the WeBoost, notifying you that the two antennas are too close. I forget what they call it... something like a feedback loop. Even with the extension on the external antenna on top of the popped roof, I sometimes have to place the interior antenna all the way at the back of the van to get the error lights to stop blinking. If you mount the antenna in the rear, you'll probably have to put the internal antenna in the front of the van somewhere like on the dash to separate the antennas as much as possible.

One thing I've discovered is that even with the blinking error lights, you can still get a boost to your signal. It's probably not as good of a boost as when you have proper distance. I did check with Wilson regarding the angle of the external antenna and they did confirm that the antenna must be as vertical as possible with even a few degrees off causing problems. So an adjustable mount is necessary if you mount it on the pop top. Since I have a roof rack, I got the "rail mount" version of the mount.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
Dave, as always thanks.

Mounting the antenna in the back might work fine, however you have to remember that the exterior antenna and the WeBoost interior antenna have to be separated as far as possible or you will get errors in the form of blinking lights from the WeBoost, notifying you that the two antennas are too close. I forget what they call it... something like a feedback loop. Even with the extension on the external antenna on top of the popped roof, I sometimes have to place the interior antenna all the way at the back of the van to get the error lights to stop blinking. If you mount the antenna in the rear, you'll probably have to put the internal antenna in the front of the van somewhere like on the dash to separate the antennas as much as possible.

One thing I've discovered is that even with the blinking error lights, you can still get a boost to your signal. It's probably not as good of a boost as when you have proper distance. I did check with Wilson regarding the angle of the external antenna and they did confirm that the antenna must be as vertical as possible with even a few degrees off causing problems. So an adjustable mount is necessary if you mount it on the pop top. Since I have a roof rack, I got the "rail mount" version of the mount.

I have the OTR version that truckers use. The interior antennae has a very short range (up to 36", maybe) so even though my antenna is right above the passenger door I can use my phone in the passenger seat with the interior antennae sitting on the table next to my phone. The range of the OTR interior antenna is so small that I did not mount the antenna. I just place it next to my phone when in use. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

I have had great success with WeBoost Products. I originally had a directional antenna. I would drive a slow circle and actually see the bars move on my phone. I have also been camped where the phone shows no signal. Placing the phone directly against the interior antenna and you get a signal. Sometimes even full LTE.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The key is to get the outside antenna away from the inside antenna. As far as possible and hopefully with metal between them. Do not add a bunch of extra cable because you will loose signal strength.

I eventually went with the Marine antenna and mount like shagginwagon83 has. It worked flawlessly for years.

Every vehicle since has had a cell booster. Like the one on Syncro Jael.

My experience over many years of real life, go get you one! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

WeBoost ON

WeBoost OFF

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mynamesbrian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Over the last three years I have been installing very large cell repeater equipment for oil field jobs where guys live in shacks in the middle of no where(climbing to the top of a drilling rig). Sure call and Wilson are both very good brands. The biggest factor with these antenna/repeaters is the distance between the top and bottom antenna. As these are small home owner repeaters, there are no manual adjustments to the amount of "boost"; they are programmed to self regulate.
That being said, you want to have as much separation (distance) between the top and bottom antenna, or a metal separation plate would also work; so the antenna don't talk back and forth to each other(its call oscillation). If they do, then the repeater will turn its power down until they don't talk anymore.

P.s I saw another poster that had his road radio (vf antenna) right beside his cell booster antenna, this can cause problem being this close to one another; you want a good foot or more separation for best results.

I live in northern Ablerta and BC and cell signal is sparce, so basicly everyone has truck boosters like this.

P.P.S - To avoid this antenna oscillation, the bottom antenna where you would put your phone against(flat pad); only produces a sphere of "boost" about 12" round so that the interior antenna wont talk with the top one. So always have your phone right against it for best results.

-Cheers
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes I previously spoke with WeBoost and they said to place my phone on top of the inside antenna. I have the OTR short range. They were not concerned that the outside antenna was in the front. That is standard for truckers.

The Western Syncro build
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Thanks. Yes I previously spoke with WeBoost and they said to place my phone on top of the inside antenna. I have the OTR short range. They were not concerned that the outside antenna was in the front. That is standard for truckers.

I too had the antenna on the passenger side just above the windshield. No issues. But later moved it to the rear when I installed the NAHT High-top.

These are worth their weight in GOLD sometimes.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
dobryan wrote:

I too had the antenna on the passenger side just above the windshield. No issues. But later moved it to the rear when I installed the NAHT High-top.

These are worth their weight in GOLD sometimes.

Yep. I am semi-retired and work from home (anywhere I have a cell signal I can VPN with) 8-12 M-Th. They pay me a healthy rate. The unit paid for itself the first day I could work from here. 1bar of 1x became 2bars of LTE.

The Western Syncro build
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Not sure what you're talking about and I’m not going to read all these pages but here is my solution:

This is ONLY for cellphone data, not a cellphone “booster”. The case you see is this:
Mini PCI-E to USB Adapter with SIM Card Slot:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGERNV4
It is stuck on the aluminum sliding window vertical post with magnets.
The case/adapter receives a data card, the one I got used from eBay is:
Quectel EC25-A LTE modem

I have the USB plugged into a Raspberry Pi that is always on, it also runs Pi-Hole for ad-free browsing, and transmits WiFi AP in repeater mode. This unit gets significantly better data connection than the cellphone. I am often hitting 20 megabits on T-Mobile LTE. Cost was about $70, not including data access.

Ideally the modem interface should be set up in "ECM mode”. In this mode the unit is always connected, switches cellphone towers seamlessly, and connects to the computer automatically. Some more primitive modem cards can’t do all that.

You can also buy a Wal-Mart SIM card cheaper for temporary access, but I couldn’t guarantee all providers will be available at your remote campsite.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Yep. I am semi-retired and work from home (anywhere I have a cell signal I can VPN with) 8-12 M-Th. They pay me a healthy rate. The unit paid for itself the first day I could work from here. 1bar of 1x became 2bars of LTE.

Do you ever measure signal strength to see more precisely what you're boosting (v. the bars).

I'm at a location where the strength is -110 to -120 and I can make calls from very specific spots (stand on this x facing that direction). Have you had any luck boosting a -110 signal to be useful?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Wow. Once again the samba mindshare is awesome. I’m learning a lot. Thanks to everyone contributing!

Someone mention the Starlink dish service so I would like to ask a comparative question.

I’ve read there will be two speeds that will run $100/month and $500/month. I’ve also read that there is a mobile system in the works. Allegedly the stationary service is tied to a geographic service area. I will believe it when Musk allows me to sign up. Otherwise just vaporware and marketing.

So ….. Let’s pretend that a mobile system is created and it is affordable. Would a starlink internet service essentially replace all this cell boost hardware and supporting services as it would enable internet phone calls and internet data services? Am I missing something?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

I signed up for preorder in Feb 2021 and am set to get Starlink April 2022.

I am a web/app developer for a digital agency so I need fallbacks in place in case of bad weather or my Starlink goes down.

I have read you can easily change your location via Starlink account. One thing to point out is that a USA Starlink setup will not work out of the country atm.

Theoretically, one could rely on Starlink and no cell phone service. Would be neat to choose when you are and off the grid.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Do you ever measure signal strength to see more precisely what you're boosting (v. the bars).

I'm at a location where the strength is -110 to -120 and I can make calls from very specific spots (stand on this x facing that direction). Have you had any luck boosting a -110 signal to be useful?

Yes. The speedtest results I posted earlier are from that campsite. I could not even text from there. And you are correct it is about the speed not the bars. Apparently some of the newer phones do not register the improved speed on the ‘bars’ but if you do a speedtest you can see the improvement.

The Western Syncro build
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Yes. The speedtest results I posted earlier are from that campsite. I could not even text from there. And you are correct it is about the speed not the bars. Apparently some of the newer phones do not register the improved speed on the ‘bars’ but if you do a speedtest you can see the improvement.

Thanks for the response. This may get a bit technical and I only have a novice understanding of the concept but I'm trying to learn more as I have a remote location with a very weak cell signal from the only tower in the region (verizon, about 20 miles away).

I'm referring to the RSCP (Received Signal Code Power). The phone display roughly translates this measurement to bars but sources say the phone display is moderately helpful and recommend referencing the RSCP. Apple and Android phones support this differently over their different versions, i.e. it's frustrating finding the correct measurement for a specific phone.

For Apple phones, dial *3001#12345#*...

This will open the cell signal diagnostic tool where Service Cell Measures can be selected.

I have a great signal now measured at -24 db (closer to zero is stronger). My place in the hills is measured at -110 to -125. I can make calls occasionally from very specific locations.

For folks using boosters, do you ever measure the RSCP as above or are you just looking at the bars? Thanks.

This chart shows quality of different RSCP values:

For more info on RSCP...
https://help.venntelecom.com/support/solutions/art...arameters-

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I signed up for preorder in Feb 2021 and am set to get Starlink April 2022.

I ordered in May 2021, was originally told it would arrive in mid-late 2021 but that slipped to mid-2022. I have a friend who pre-ordered in January 2021 and received the dish in Feb 2022.

I know several folks who are using Starlink in rural ID where the only internet service previously available was high-earth orbit satellite (Hughesnet, etc.) or broadcast signals and they jumped from speeds of <5 mbs to >75 mbs with Starlink. It's magic but the dish needs a clear view of the northern sky (unlike most other satellite dishes that point south). Starlink offers an app that allows one to scan the sky to see if obstructions would block the signal.

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I have read you can easily change your location via Starlink account. One thing to point out is that a USA Starlink setup will not work out of the country atm.

More on mobility of Starlink...
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/starlink-enables-...-friendly/

Abscate wrote:

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

For folks using boosters, do you ever measure the RSCP as above or are you just looking at the bars? Thanks.

Never done that.

Not just looking at bars either.

Download the free speedtest app and let us know what you get. Smile

You can see that the Weboost took a 0.03 Mbps upload and made it 4.91 Mbps.
Download went from 1.71 Mbps to 14.9 Mbps.

The Western Syncro build
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Download the free speedtest app and let us know what you get. Smile

I do speedtests all the time in different locations but actually never tried it from the location with the -115 db signal strength since the signal is so weak. At that location the phone goes from displaying no signal to Verizon 1x (a remarkably weak and useless signal, less than 3G) to 1-3 bars Verizon 3G to 1 bar Verizon LTE. I'll try a speed test when I'm standing on the x next time I'm there next week.

Bottom line, the signal I have is very weak and I'm wondering if anyone has boosted a -115 db signal to something useful. I have tested WeBoost land based antennas at that location with no luck so I guess I'm looking for a solution that has solved for boosting a v. weak signal.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

I was able to get around doing some test fitting this weekend with my WeBoost.

I planned on making a DIY road shower and bought 2x GoWesty awning brackets a while back.

I am going to use one of those to mount my antenna in the driver-side rear. I feel the rear would be the best place for the Westy given the possible antenna interference.

I could easily make the WeBoost stock mount work with the bracket but I want a way to put my antenna down to fit in the garage.

So I purchased this:
ZOMCHAIN Marine VHF Antenna Mounts, Ratchet Mount, 316 Stainless Steel Adjustable Base Mount for Boat

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I might find an adapter that takes 1"-14 to 3/8"-24? To adapt the mount picture in the post before this comment (VHF) to the Weboost (same connector as CB antenna Firestick).

Honestly, I might just weld a connector to it. If I do find an adapter it is going to be expensive.

Update: It is going to be welded. No reason to buy an adapter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: