Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

I ended up cutting and welding the proper piece onto the adjustable piece. Along with the awning bracket, it seemed to do the job but I did NOT like the amount of hardware on the van to hold an antenna. I modified my Vanagon Life MPV vent and will relocate my CB antenna to the other side (but another MPV vent).

dobryan wrote:
That version of WeBoost is not ideal for the Vanagon as you know. I use the OTR version and it is great. The big difference is the inside antennae has a very short range so it does not feedback with the outside antennae. The downside is only a foot or two of inside antennae range. I make my phone a hot spot and place it on the inside antennae and my laptop is very happy.

Yeah I worry my Drive Reach RV is having the same issue. Can anyone provide some before/after scenarios? Like 1 bar -> 4 bars. 2 bars -> 5 bars (before/after).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I ended up cutting and welding the proper piece onto the adjustable piece. Along with the awning bracket, it seemed to do the job but I did NOT like the amount of hardware on the van to hold an antenna. I modified my Vanagon Life MPV vent and will relocate my CB antenna to the other side (but another MPV vent).

dobryan wrote:
That version of WeBoost is not ideal for the Vanagon as you know. I use the OTR version and it is great. The big difference is the inside antennae has a very short range so it does not feedback with the outside antennae. The downside is only a foot or two of inside antennae range. I make my phone a hot spot and place it on the inside antennae and my laptop is very happy.

Yeah I worry my Drive Reach RV is having the same issue. Can anyone provide some before/after scenarios? Like 1 bar -> 4 bars. 2 bars -> 5 bars (before/after).

Using 'bars' as an indicator is not very accurate.

Download the 'speedtest' app. It tests upload and download rates and gives much better before and after data.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Using 'bars' as an indicator is not very accurate.

Download the 'speedtest' app. It tests upload and download rates and gives much better before and after data.

Agreed, bars are not very accurate. At the edge of cell signals there are times when there is a cell signal but not enough for a speed test. In those cases, some phones provide signal strength diagnostics. On iOS dialing *3001#12345#* will bring up cell diagnostics (different versions for different iOS versions...because Apple).

Here are my numbers from a remote north ID location today:

Two bars, -109 db RSRP...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-109 db is a weak signal (cell edge)...

But check out this speed test: 52.6Mbps down, 5.41 up. This will degrade significantly when more folks show up in the summer and start loading the single cell tower in the 20 mile radius.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Does anyone know where I might find an adapter that takes 1"-14 to 3/8"-24? To adapt the mount picture in the post before this comment (VHF) to the Weboost (same connector as CB antenna Firestick).

Honestly, I might just weld a connector to it. If I do find an adapter it is going to be expensive.

Update: It is going to be welded. No reason to buy an adapter.

I used the nylon version of the same adjustable mount. Then melted a 3/8in-24 down into the centre hole. I melted a couple of stainless rods (actually the 'stiff' bit of an old windscreen wiper) through the sides to hold the hex head firmly in place, and filled the rest with epoxy. Works a treat! Smile

Post with pics here: Sticky: What did YOU do to your van today?
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

I mounted my antenna off the backside of my north westy awning bracket then snuck coax threw vent. Chose to not install the extra antenna “mast” that came with the drive reach RV kit. Hopefully there isnt too much trade off to keep a reasonable height vs. the performance the extra 8-10” the mast would have provided. Just drilled a couple holes in the antenna mounting bracket to work with spacing of bolts off awning.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

Looks good. You can always extend the mast more while parked. I only use mine when stationary so mast length is not a big deal.

The Western Syncro build
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this for awhile since I've been on a few trips wishing I could check emails touch base with work, friends, etc. Went camping on my property last weekend and got tired of having one bar and not being able to make a call without having to drive to get a signal.
Checked Amazon this morning and saw that there was a factory refubished WeBoost Drive Reach OTR in the other purchase options for $355. Pulled the trigger. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WYQND57/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited by mtnhome on Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:
I've been thinking about this for awhile since I've been on a few trips wishing I could check emails touch base with work, friends, etc. Went camping on my property last weekend and got tired of having one bar and not being able to make a call and having to drive to get a signal.
Checked Amazon this morning and saw that there was a factory refubished WeBoost Drive Reach OTR in the other purchase options for $355. Pulled the trigger. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WYQND57/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Let us know how it works for you.

The Western Syncro build
danielheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

I only offer anecdotal evidence, but we did a 4k mile trip this summer and were in plenty of remote areas. As expected the weboost works when you’re just past the edge of cell service but not when you’re hours out into the middle of nowhere. We did experience enough times when there was no cell service showing on the phone and couldn’t send a text, then would turn on the weboost and have sufficient service to send/receive a text or very slowly send a photo.

Here’s a photo of my setup, in practice I actually used a longer shaft, and the interior antenna was mounted on my dash next to my phone holder. If you absolutely need cell service then get a starlink, but in my experience it was worth the expense and glad I installed it.

I made a 1/4” aluminum plate and mounted it to the back of the gowesty fiamma bracket and ran the coax cable through the vent. The cable was just long enough to make it to underneath the sink where the booster electronics are mounted.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

Anyone mounted the weboost drive reach OTR to vanagon life MPV vent plates? Any pictures?

(206) 841 7324
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

Finally finished up my WeBoost installation.
I decided to take advantage the pop top hinge mounting bolts and designed a mount that I could adjust the angle to compensate for having the top up or down. I also wanted to be able to stow it horizontal so I also made a clip to hold the top of the antenna while stowed. These parts are 3d printed with ABS. I think it came out pretty good.

Since I have the RMW aluminum window panel, I brought the antenna lead through behind the closet. I mounted the base unit with some double sided tape. The power and inside antenna wires are run though a piece of wire molding behind the storage bins. I have a 12v outlet in my fridge vent panel. The lead on the inside antenna is long enough to reach the front seats if needed.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

Very neat! Applause
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

I have the final prototype leftover if anyone wants it.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

I just saw this post. Great job!

The Western Syncro build
DirtDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

I'd love that mount. I'm going to be adding an amplifier here soon...
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

DirtDog wrote:
I'd love that mount. I'm going to be adding an amplifier here soon...

All yours. I'll bring it by in a week or so.
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

I’m considering the identical setup with my Fiamma awning and cargo box, too. Quick question:

When the pop top is up, does it noticeably block the antenna and/or performance? Also, does the cargo box block the signal or disrupt it in your opinion?

danielheff wrote:
I only offer anecdotal evidence, but we did a 4k mile trip this summer and were in plenty of remote areas. As expected the weboost works when you’re just past the edge of cell service but not when you’re hours out into the middle of nowhere. We did experience enough times when there was no cell service showing on the phone and couldn’t send a text, then would turn on the weboost and have sufficient service to send/receive a text or very slowly send a photo.

Here’s a photo of my setup, in practice I actually used a longer shaft, and the interior antenna was mounted on my dash next to my phone holder. If you absolutely need cell service then get a starlink, but in my experience it was worth the expense and glad I installed it.

I made a 1/4” aluminum plate and mounted it to the back of the gowesty fiamma bracket and ran the coax cable through the vent. The cable was just long enough to make it to underneath the sink where the booster electronics are mounted.

Retired:
"Swell Chaser #1" 1980 Westy (in VW Heaven)
"Swell Chaser #2" 1981 Westy (sold to loving family on TheSamba forum)
danielheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit - Weboost Reply with quote

surfinwesty wrote:

When the pop top is up, does it noticeably block the antenna and/or performance? Also, does the cargo box block the signal or disrupt it in your opinion?

It's hard to tell. I've never been in the same situation with and without the box or testing with the top up and down. I've still been using it with the stubby pole lately and it works great. During a long trip I used the long pole that had the top of the antenna the same height as the top of the box. My experience so far is that the weboost gives just enough service to send a text or photo when we're just out of reach from cell service, not way out in the bush.
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Real world test of weBoost.

@ Dave: considering different mounting places for antenna and had a question about yours…

How are you running the cable inside? It looks like through the door. Does this get in the way? Is it in the B-pillar? Where did you mount the amp and inside antenna? Any pics about such?

Thank you!

Retired:
"Swell Chaser #1" 1980 Westy (in VW Heaven)
"Swell Chaser #2" 1981 Westy (sold to loving family on TheSamba forum)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cell Phone signal Booster Kit Reply with quote

surfinwesty wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Real world test of weBoost.

@ Dave: considering different mounting places for antenna and had a question about yours…

How are you running the cable inside? It looks like through the door. Does this get in the way? Is it in the B-pillar? Where did you mount the amp and inside antenna? Any pics about such?

Thank you!

Nothing is mounted inside. I just run the antenna wire thru the door opening and close the door on it.

No pics. I just lay stuff on the floor between the seats. Laughing

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: