Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

Sometime back I had posted about using 1 or 2 realtors and searching in 2 adjacent but separate states locales. Now I've pulled the trigger and left the swamp of FL for the Great Southwest. Moved to FL many years ago from Durango for financial gain, raising family. Overall I can say I never found Florida weather to be pleasurable, except for when it was below 75 degrees IF the humidity wasn't at 90 percent. I lived on the Gulf, later in S. FL., and mostly near St. Augustine up NE FL. So good riddance to the swamp and bugs and incapacitating heat and humidity!!! I can honestly say I won't miss any of it. Also, my property went up about 75 percent in 2 years!
I got fortunate enough to find a transport that could haul all my toys at once (bus,bug, p-up and camper)! Now I can start to really enjoy my retirement without hiding out from that intolerable mlldewy climate. So good to be back in CO! Looking forward to meeting other airheads nearby!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

Welcome back home. "The west is the best" as Mr. Jim Morrison said.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Welcome back home. "The west is the best" as Mr. Jim Morrison said.

Yeah, but that was from "The End." I still think leaving the glorified swamp known as Florida is a good call. Where out west are you landing?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

Where is Colorado? My sister has been in Ouray for 40 years and our son and wife moved to Steamboat Springs 3 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

Finally someone is leaving. Do you think you can convince more people to follow you?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
Finally someone is leaving. Do you think you can convince more people to follow you?

I actually liked Florida back in the 1960's, back before places like The Palm Coast and similar destructive mass development ran amuck.

You could drive down A1A and stop just about anywhere, climb over a dune and have mikes if private beach.

I blame cheap Air Conditioning for destroying the State.

It was a fun playground for those who could tolerate the heat.

Today? You would need to pay me to visit the State. Wall to wall development and traffic in the stifling heat and humidity.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

John D MacDonald had some astute observations about Florida development throughout the decades in his novels, particularly the Travis McGee series.
I spent a lot of time there in the late 90s/early 2000s and did enjoy the Miami area for the Cuban culture and bar/restaurant scene but it got old after a while and I missed the forests and climate of the PNW.
As a reformed Parrot Head I was glad to explore Florida when I did.
Colorado is a beautiful state.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

I get tired of seeing strip mall after strip mall when I visit Florida.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

St. Johns County (St.Augustine,Ponte Vedra, Nocatee) has seen 43 percent pop increase in last 10 yrs. Expecting to need 10 new school buildings in next 10 years. People are flocking to it. So much for a nice quaint historic town.I had to GTFO.My rural property sold for 200k more than it would have in Feb.2020. Now I am looking out my front windows at the snowy La Plata peaks.Went to the grocery and 3 cashiers we're waiting open,no lines. Life is good, probably the second best decision of my life... and me on my 3rd marriage,lol!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

Sounds like Bayfield. That part of the state is really the best place to watch our civilization grind to a halt. Hit up Rich and Bubba for your VW connection. Used to vacation on Estero Island many years ago, it got over run in like 2 years time and everything was bulldozed, replaced with corporate hell.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

South West Colorado sounds more like Durango. The La Plata peaks are located mid central Colorado. Five hours drive and wham I am Durango. A smartmove to get out of Florida for sure. Sorta like the town I live in, late comers have discovered here. They move in and then complain about not having this or that. I just them move back.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:

That's everywhere these days. The whole country has turned into one of those Hanna-Barbera cartoons where the background repeats every few seconds. Anywhere you go it's Home Depot, followed by a Petsmart, followed by an Applebee's, and if you see a Walgreens you know there's a CVS coming up in the next block.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

All in know is any place that sucks, you find people from NY. Just sayin'
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

coad wrote:
jspbtown wrote:

That's everywhere these days. The whole country has turned into one of those Hanna-Barbera cartoons where the background repeats every few seconds. Anywhere you go it's Home Depot, followed by a Petsmart, followed by an Applebee's, and if you see a Walgreens you know there's a CVS coming up in the next block.

I’d give the people back east some credit for not letting the chains take over. Ask any long haul truck driver they have witnessed the decline of Mom and Pops, family businesses. Concerning Florida I lived nearby for 20 plus years and know of some nice places to go that are unspoiled by tourists. Without being specific I’ll say Mark Tucker is in one of the better areas.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

On the West Coast it is Californians ruining the World.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Abscate wrote:

On the West Coast it is Californians ruining the World.

We have New Yorkers ruining California...
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

Florida Rocks! If your too brain dead to handle the heat. MOVE OUT and fly far far away.

The only sucky part about florda... Are the snow birds. And "Florida Man" Laughing

babysnakes wrote:

Yes, Please do that Laughing Id move back in a heart beat if yall became successful at that.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

we have 1 tittie bar, but strip mall??dam that would be somethen..... Rolling Eyes
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
we have 1 tittie bar, but strip mall??dam that would be somethen..... Rolling Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrCppWWmIGQ
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving Florida.... Go West Old Man,Go West! Reply with quote

You know you're going to miss the speed bumps!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: