Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Those shitty scooters began polluting the streets of Colorado Springs a couple of years ago. They take up space on the sidewalks that they aren't supposed to be used on. The City/taxpayer sees no compensation for having those turds on the street. They are randomly and regularly abandoned. I personally know several folks who have hurt themselves on them and I'm sure that is just the tip of the iceberg. Best of all, the little green turds are picked up and brought back for repairs/recharge by what must be a sub-contractor in a smokey, old American, full-sized truck.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Katie Britt Fundie Baby voices …

“EVs are bad”

What if we made our EVs reissue Bugs?

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Those shitty scooters began polluting the streets of Colorado Springs a couple of years ago. They take up space on the sidewalks that they aren't supposed to be used on. The City/taxpayer sees no compensation for having those turds on the street. They are randomly and regularly abandoned. I personally know several folks who have hurt themselves on them and I'm sure that is just the tip of the iceberg. Best of all, the little green turds are picked up and brought back for repairs/recharge by what must be a sub-contractor in a smokey, old American, full-sized truck.

In NYC you get $100 for each sidewalk scooter you hit with a bat.

Problem solved
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Bulli Klinik wrote:

In NYC you get $100 for each sidewalk scooter you hit with a bat.

Problem solved

And you get fined $200 for being a douche bag walking with a baseball bat in NYC. Not sure what the fine is walking in NYC with a bat though Wink
Maybe I should ask Harvey Dent.

We pay the sheriff department to fish those dumb scooters out of the local rivers. Not so environmentally friendly and cost taxpayers money.

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Link

Link

"I put down the fiddle, they gave me a gun."

I've been playin' a f*k*d up version of "Rainbow in the Dark" for something like 30 years. I'm going to pick up my "fiddle" and get it right especially that solo. I thought for years there was a Blackmore era Dio. Turns out there was only a Dio era Rainbow. That solo is Vivian Campbell.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

A recent study led by the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) has found that humans might inhale approximately 16.2 bits of microplastics each hour, or the equivalent of a credit card per week.

and the fish are getting tired of pollution
https://www.thedrive.com/news/tire-dust-makes-up-t...utm_medium

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I wonder what kind of magnetic fields EV's produce.

You know all those people scared to go under those large power lines. I wonder if any of them own an EV.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

...and there is this:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/03/13/climate/electric-power-climate-change.html
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

You know all those people scared to go under those large power lines. I wonder if any of them own an EV.

I could tell you a thing or two about magnetic fields. I'm not worried. Consider this: Our planet is one big- ass magnet.

Link

Calvinator: Check out Tony's fingers.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
heimlich wrote:

I could tell you a thing or two about magnetic fields. I'm not worried. Consider this: Our planet is one big- ass magnet.

Link

Calvinator: Check out Tony's fingers.

It is certainly bipolar at times
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Does your daughter know about your online pimp daddy life?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Does your daughter know about your online pimp daddy life?

I can confirm the answer is yes!! She pulls the strings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

A piece in the news yesterday. One third of the world's data centers are I. Loudon County VA.....and the increasing rate of sever farms/data centers especially with the computing requirements of AI are consuming electrical power at a rate faster than we will soon have the ability to produce it.....made especially problematic because to lare of a portion of power is being produced by wind and solar with a poor stability and reliability.

The usage in just Virginia two years ago was 21% of all power produced in that region. They are putting off shutting down coal plants because of the draw which will double in just a few years.

I tried to find the exact article but there are many if you just Google it.

You may have to make a choice between your EV or your AI.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Can we just have the AI google it for us? Maybe they can drive our EV too.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
A piece in the news yesterday. One third of the world's data centers are I. Loudon County VA.....and the increasing rate of sever farms/data centers especially with the computing requirements of AI are consuming electrical power at a rate faster than we will soon have the ability to produce it.....made especially problematic because to lare of a portion of power is being produced by wind and solar with a poor stability and reliability.

The usage in just Virginia two years ago was 21% of all power produced in that region. They are putting off shutting down coal plants because of the draw which will double in just a few years.

Ray

What happens to all the water used in those Data Centers? Where does it come from? Is it recycled and used again? Probably more eco friendly then making paper. Right? Shocked

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
...and there is this:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/03/13/climate/electric-power-climate-change.html

is there a non-subscription version?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

What happens to all the water used in those Data Centers? Where does it come from? Is it recycled and used again? Probably more eco friendly then making paper. Right? Shocked

That's interesting.
I had not thought about data centers using water. I figured it was just massive amounts of AC.
But yeah it makes sense because systems that big will need heat exchangers and cooling towers like big buildings. However, I figured it would just be big banks of power gobbling heat pumps.

A couple of articles:
https://gizmodo.com/microsoft-water-usage-ai-iowa-data-center-1850826419#:~:text=That's%20almost%201.7%20billion%20gallons,those%20computers%20can%20shut%20down.

https://dgtlinfra.com/data-center-water-usage/#:~:...intenance.

The interesting thing is that with a little more investment when they build a data center, a water treatment facility "should" be able to make them largely closed loop.

Relevant to EV'S? Yes I think so because it goes toward the question of where the charging EV'S will get all that power once they become seriously mandated and also because as stated and as I have recently seen....I have been in Phoenix for 3 weeks.....we already see movement/R&D toward making a portion....if not a large portion....of EV'S, self driving.

I have seen quite a few of the "Waymo" cars around here. If perfected.....they will replace virtually all Ubers and cabs ....and next will be short haul delivery vehicles....not to mention those who will use their EV'S in self drive while they bang the maid in the back seat. All of that will use AI (lots of power hungry computing) as well as needing to charge.

As I keep saying.....the range is a problem. That's one thing. But the biggest thing with EV'S is going to be power generation and distribution. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

a salt and battery news from scotland...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd180263w7no

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Like I said there is enough coal under Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Kentucky to last 200 years.

If we can make our filthy internal combustion engines run clean and we've done that already... we can make coal fired generating plants run clean, too.

If I tried suicide by the classic running car in a closed garage trick my Prius wouldn't even give me a headache.

Coal ash doesn't pose anywhere near the hazard of spent uranium.

heimlich wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Can we just have the AI google it for us? Maybe they can drive our EV too.

When the AI decides we're a nuisance it will hog all the electricity for itself. It will wait for us to get into our autonomous cars. It will have itself a big ol' demo derby.

Then again, AI will be so busy hoarding BitCoin it won't even know we're here.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Xevin wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

That's interesting.
I had not thought about data centers using water. I figured it was just massive amounts of AC.
But yeah it makes sense because systems that big will need heat exchangers and cooling towers like big buildings. However, I figured it would just be big banks of power gobbling heat pumps.

A couple of articles:
https://gizmodo.com/microsoft-water-usage-ai-iowa-data-center-1850826419#:~:text=That's%20almost%201.7%20billion%20gallons,those%20computers%20can%20shut%20down.

https://dgtlinfra.com/data-center-water-usage/#:~:...intenance.

The interesting thing is that with a little more investment when they build a data center, a water treatment facility "should" be able to make them largely closed loop.

Relevant to EV'S? Yes I think so because it goes toward the question of where the charging EV'S will get all that power once they become seriously mandated and also because as stated and as I have recently seen....I have been in Phoenix for 3 weeks.....we already see movement/R&D toward making a portion....if not a large portion....of EV'S, self driving.

I have seen quite a few of the "Waymo" cars around here. If perfected.....they will replace virtually all Ubers and cabs ....and next will be short haul delivery vehicles....not to mention those who will use their EV'S in self drive while they bang the maid in the back seat. All of that will use AI (lots of power hungry computing) as well as needing to charge.

As I keep saying.....the range is a problem. That's one thing. But the biggest thing with EV'S is going to be power generation and distribution. Ray

Thanks for posting those articles Ray. My paper comment is sarcasm. Paper bag or plastic bag? EV or ICE? Reusable bag or Mass transit?

I don’t have a problem with EV cars in moderation. I actually recommended an EV to my sister when her 7 year old Mercedes needed $25,000 of work. It’s perfect for her driving habits.

I do have a problem with government mandates and special interest groups outlawing the sale of ICE cars half-cocked.

I understand the pro EV car guy bragging about the cost to run his car. I also understand history. Hopefully the cost of electricity remains the same for ever. But then “Hope” is not a strategy Brick wall Brick wall

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236  Next
Jump to:
Page 232 of 236

Jump to: