Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! Keep this situation in mind when the next hurdle comes up. Just take it one step at a time, you will get there....
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

I'm ecstatic to report that the motor is back in and the bug is shifting perfectly! To everyone who responded to this thread with advice, suggestions, etc., I cannot thank you enough! Couldn't have done it without you!
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

It's motor install day (if I can find a helping hand...otherwise it'll be Sunday)! Dancing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Well, then 253 ft lbs it is!

Tried a different method for measuring the end play and I'm feeling much more confident in the original shims that were used. I watched a Chris Vallone video where he was rebuilding a 36hp motor and noticed that he measured the end play like this:

1. Install metal and paper shims.
    2. Install flywheel (torque to 75 ft lbs)
    3. Measure end play (using the same EMPI tool I'm using)

Link

Using this method, I found that I have approximately .004-.005 inches of end play, which is within the allowable limit. With that out of the way, I think I have everything else buttoned up and ready for the motor to go back in.

The only lingering question, which happens to be the most critical question, is how this all happened in the first place. Best guess is that the PO didn't install the pressure plate correctly (tightened the bolts incorrectly, didn't torque them, etc.). I know he left out the paper shim on the flywheel, but I highly doubt that would've caused all of this.

Anyhoo, I'm just going to move forward and hope that I've corrected his mistake(s). Hope to report good news soon!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:
Sort of a mini-sidebar, but still on the current subject of this thread...

Why does "everyone" suggest torqueing well beyond the recommended torque limit for the flywheel gland nut? I've done a lot of research (probably way too much) on this subject and I've found that ~99% of the resources I've found recommend torqueing the gland nut to 250-300+ ft lbs, which is significantly more than the Bentley manual states (217 ft lbs).

Today, I finally found one more resource that suggests 217, but that's it. My gut tells me to stick with 217, but I'm curious as to why anyone would suggest more torque.

Well, my last 36 horse engine had the flywheel get a little loose and started knocking. Drove it 3 miles home, parked it, and put it up for sale -- I need less cars not more. Sold it that way and the buyer towed it home. I have no idea if the crank was saveable. That is a rebuild level tear down.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:

Today, I finally found one more resource that suggests 217, but that's it. My gut tells me to stick with 217, but I'm curious as to why anyone would suggest more torque.

VW thru Bentley upped the torque to 253 Ft Lbs. sometime in the 1970s.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Sort of a mini-sidebar, but still on the current subject of this thread...

Why does "everyone" suggest torqueing well beyond the recommended torque limit for the flywheel gland nut? I've done a lot of research (probably way too much) on this subject and I've found that ~99% of the resources I've found recommend torqueing the gland nut to 250-300+ ft lbs, which is significantly more than the Bentley manual states (217 ft lbs).

RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
And don't forget the paper gasket should be installed also during measurement. It will be compressed about 0,05mm, so it adds 0,15mm to the calculation.

Appreciate the reminder! 👍
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

And don't forget the paper gasket should be installed also during measurement. It will be compressed about 0,05mm, so it adds 0,15mm to the calculation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Yes, that should do if the quality is not too bad. If you look on Ebay you can find vintage made in USA dial gauges and use that cheap foreign set just for the mounting parts.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw...mp;_sop=15

Awesome. Thank you!
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
As far as the tool goes, I think you have the lock nut on the wrong side.

I also think the lock nut is normally much thinner than that. I had a look at pics I took of such from long ago, It was a much better quality SP brand tool and it did have slightly thinner lock nut, but while it was a feeler gauge tool. I had found I could fit an SP dial indicator onto it.

Oh geez, you're right. That's weird because that's how it was straight out of the package. But yeah, you're right. I'll flip it around tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:

Something like this?]

Yes, that should do if the quality is not too bad. If you look on Ebay you can find vintage made in USA dial gauges and use that cheap foreign set just for the mounting parts.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw...mp;_sop=15
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

As far as the tool goes, I think you have the lock nut on the wrong side.

I also think the lock nut is normally much thinner than that. I had a look at pics I took of such from long ago, It was a much better quality SP brand tool and it did have slightly thinner lock nut, but while it was a feeler gauge tool. I had found I could fit an SP dial indicator onto it.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If the .88mm shims did not lock the engine up before, then yes your measurement is incorrect. Get a good quality dial indicator (not a junk digital one) and a clamp setup to get a good reading. Then drop the EMPI tool in the scrap pile.

Something like this?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

If the .88mm shims did not lock the engine up before, then yes your measurement is incorrect. Get a good quality dial indicator (not a junk digital one) and a clamp setup to get a good reading. Then drop the EMPI tool in the scrap pile.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Something isn't right. They don't even offer shims under 0.24mm (x3 = 0.72mm), so my end play measurement can't be right. Argh. I'm stumped.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Trying to determine the end play and I'm running into some weirdness.

I removed the old rear main seal and shims and installed the flywheel (torqued to 225 ft lbs). I did see an old page that said to NOT torque the flywheel, but everything else I've seen says to torque it, so I did. Hope that's correct.

First issue: Using an EMPI end play tool from JBugs, best I can tell, it doesn't fit my flywheel (see pic). I had to modify my setup to get it to work (see pic). Is this the wrong tool for my 36hp motor and flywheel, or am I doing something wrong?

Second issue: I'm getting an end play measurement of 0.030 (.75mm). The shims that were in place when I took the flywheel off are 0.035 (.88mm) in thickness.

Could this have been the root cause of my problems? If I've measured the end play correctly, the shims should've been somewhere around 0.65mm (plus the 0.15mm compressed paper shim), correct? So essentially, the PO allowed for no end play at all, and actually overcompensated.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Who noticed? Eric or Barb ???

Mrs. Cusser wouldn't notice if she backed into a moose, and poor Bullwinkle was stuck in the engine....

Both actually, did not mention to her about the vibration and she voiced the same findings.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
We definitely have noticed a big difference with how the flywheel and pressure plate orientation balancing made for less engine vibration.

Who noticed? Eric or Barb ???

Mrs. Cusser wouldn't notice if she backed into a moose, and poor Bullwinkle was stuck in the engine....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Plus does it hurt to try??

Correct!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: