Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This is the year
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Got the engine home safely.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Look at that thing... its got all the goodies. Im assuming this a 2110 the traditional way vs mine which is 76x94

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Interior progress under way.

Square weave from SewFine. After reading various posts I ordered the carpet kit without cutouts for heater vents, shifter, ... Good move. The cutout locations marked on the back of the carpet did not line up correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Looks good Jim. Cool Engine looks sweet, and should run good, and the interior is coming together nicely.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Fasty69Jester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Stellar work cant wait to get to that point. Keep spreading the motivation.

!!RCVDUBS!!
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

How tight should the engine hanger tube fit into the engine hanger? I assume this is not good and should be replaced:

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

I think you're 1 shim short (you have 6, not 7). Keep in mind that it's not supposed to be tight, as it's really just a snubber to keep the engine from moving too much under acceleration.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

When I replaced mine with an nos one - I could barley get 2 in. Point of reference.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

I'm looking for input on mounting my MSD 6AL CDI. I want to keep it out from under the deck lid and close to the battery. I'm considering under the rear seat or in the trunk. Anyone care to share their experience? How/where did you mount? Where did you run wires?

I'll have a small stereo system, use a bluetooth to retain the original radio

A pair of old school Rockford Fosgate amps driving one shallow 10" subwoofer and a pair of 6.5" coaxial's in the rear tray. Will address some rust cleanup in the process.

I'm planning a mounting panel on the trunk divide for the amps, might include the CDI there as well.

GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Getting close, a few details then install the interior.

Fasty69Jester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

!!RCVDUBS!!
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Looking for input on the gap I have between my steering wheel adapter and the turn signal. The adapter is bottoming out on the shaft before the gap closes. Could it be as simple as the loosening the steering column hosing and sliding it up?

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Yes. There is an up and down adjustment to the column.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

GearheadJim wrote:
Looking for input on the gap I have between my steering wheel adapter and the turn signal. The adapter is bottoming out on the shaft before the gap closes. Could it be as simple as the loosening the steering column hosing and sliding it up?

If I remember right it should be 2 to 3mm gap. If your horn starts going off during turns, you might want to increase it just a little more. That's why there are slots in the column head to mount to the dash. Just make sure you loosen the clamp bolt first.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I have the column adjusted as far as the slots will allow but still have a considerable gap.

I think I'm missing something simple. @Bob, you may have hit upon the key with regards to the clamp bolt but not sure I follow. What clamp bolt are you referencing, #13?

With the slot in the flange (#34) to lock in the clamp bolt (#13) does the steering shaft (#35) actually have any adjustment or does that slot for the clamp bolt essentially set the location of the shaft (maybe just a micro adjustment)?

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

GearheadJim wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I have the column adjusted as far as the slots will allow but still have a considerable gap.

I think I'm missing something simple. @Bob, you may have hit upon the key with regards to the clamp bolt but not sure I follow. What clamp bolt are you referencing, #13?

With the slot in the flange (#34) to lock in the clamp bolt (#13) does the steering shaft (#35) actually have any adjustment or does that slot for the clamp bolt essentially set the location of the shaft (maybe just a micro adjustment)?

The clamp bolt I'm referencing to is at the base/bottom of the column head where it attaches to the column tube. But it could also be how deep you have the column shaft into the upper coupler (34), as that adjusts the length of the steering shaft. Does turning the wheel cancel the turn signal? Just asking as the "blade" (your 2nd pic attached to the steering wheel adapter) should sit inside the turn signal mechanism to cancel the turn signal operation (left or right turn). It makes me wonder if you have the right adapter, as there are 2 different ones that I know of.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Yes, turn signal cancel works. My first check was to the manufacturer to see if they may have sent the wrong adapter, they only have one and noted previous success with other Type 3 customers. The mystery continues.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Is it possible to just loosen the clamp and wiggle the steering column back a bit to meet the wheel? (If the wheel can't meet the column, make the column meet the wheel!)

Quick! Quick! Your window for having it back on the road this summer is closing!

Heinz Nordhoff
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Problem solved, shaved down the back side of the adapter.
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the year Reply with quote

Working to wrap up some interior details before the seats and door panels are done. Stereo is a bluetooth receiver into a crossover then out to two Rockford Fosgate amps I've had since the late 80's. A Punch 100 into a 10" sub and a Punch 40 into a pair of 6.5" coaxials. The mounting panel holding the stereo components and the MSD will get covered in vinyl. A frame on the perimeter of the parcel tray covered in speaker grill material will hide the speakers.

I just picked up one of the newly available BBT early grey parking brake boots (about 3 days after I purchased a black one because it was the only thing available at the time). I'm on the search for coat hooks and assist straps, need to figure out early vs late so I get the right set once I find them. The arm rests will be a future project. Neither of those will stop me from driving at the end of this month, maybe the first week into October. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: