Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GMRS Radio
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: GMRS Radio Reply with quote

Thinking about adding a GMRS radio to the van for van to van communications when out and about. Was hoping to get some insights from folks that might run a set up. Where are you mounting the antenna? Have you had to go No Ground Plane antennas? If I go with a gutter mount do I need to make sure the screws go through the paint for grounding?

I have an 1984 Westy with a poptop.

Thanks!
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GMRS Radio Reply with quote

Not GMRS specifically, but I run an unlocked ham radio that can hit ham, CB, and GMRS bands all at once.

I have my antenna mounted on the back hatch, ham antenna on one side, cell booster on the other. It extends above the top and is a lot tighter of a mounting point than the gutter mounts are which is good as sometimes I run fairly large antennas on it.

No the screws do not need to go through the paint, the ground plane can couple magnetically. In fact that's how mag-mounts work. HOWEVER, you'll get a lot better ground plane if it does connect electrically as well. Your SWR will be much lower that way.
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GMRS Radio Reply with quote

I've been installing Midland GMRS radios in my fleet of busses this year and I'm very happy. In the spring we did a road trip with everyone in our crew using hand held gmrs radios- and communication between the rear most vehicle and the front vehicle, out of only 5 vehicles, was sometimes unclear.

Now we're using 50 watt systems and external antennas- its WILDLY better. 10 mile range, easily.
We're currently just running the small 6'' magnetic antennas on the nose of the bus like a unicorn horn, and it's been fine. I am hoping to mount the short, modern, low profile antenna on the side of the pop top- but it won't have a ground plane..... : /

The MXT575 is AWESOME, I mounted it under the dash above the glove box, completely hidden, with just a Cat 5 plug going through the ashtray elimination kit. If I disconnect the hand unit (which has all the controls) you'd never know there was a system installed! It's sooooooooooooooo nice.
I hang the mic on a Ram mount arm coming off the ash tray elimination kit- one arm holds my phone the other holds the mic. Easy to reach and out of the way.

I love this setup.
We'll be installing the MXT275 units in a few of our local club vehicles this winter, in hopes of better communication in the spring. 15 watts should be plenty.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GMRS Radio Reply with quote

Our van group frequently caravans to camping sites, which necessitates on the fly convos. Our van has a Midland GMRS base unit, but the hand held units leave a lot to be desired. We're frequently in easy eyesight, but cannot send/receive decent messages. It's maddening. Very frustrating.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GMRS Radio Reply with quote

The Midland MXT575 GMRS radio squeezes perfectly into the ashtray hole! Solid installation! Even has a USB-C charging port on the front:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GMRS Radio Reply with quote

On the Midland website it states that the MXT575 is "Compatible with Midland FRS/GMRS walkie talkies." Does anyone know if they are compatible with other FRS radios. We have some Back Country Access ones for winter tours and powder days. I'd love to be able to use them all together. https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/p/bc-link-two-way-radio-2-0-2024
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: GMRS Radio Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
On the Midland website it states that the MXT575 is "Compatible with Midland FRS/GMRS walkie talkies." Does anyone know if they are compatible with other FRS radios. We have some Back Country Access ones for winter tours and powder days. I'd love to be able to use them all together. https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/p/bc-link-two-way-radio-2-0-2024
Thanks

They use the same frequencies but there are independent limitations for each.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GMRS Radio Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. Very informative. Much appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: