Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

As for Schwimmers, I recall the one that Geoff Sumpter restored, originally came from Austria, and we were told that the door openings cut into the sides, along with a huge square of metal removed from the underside, about 1m x 1m, was done as a requirement by the authorities, so that it couldn't be used as a military vehicle again, and certainly not for it's originally intended purpose. He had a mobile blacksmith, with an interest in military vehicles, fabricate suitable repair panels, and weld them in place, to bring back to original.

Looking at the one in the photo, this would have filled a similar requirement, finished off in an Italian styled way. Certainly different!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

finster wrote:
here's another 47 on display at cambell's vw in edmons washington

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think that is the '47 that was in HotVWs in the 80s. He bought it as just the body shell with the doors, hood and decklid for $50 or $75 back in the 70s and collected all the parts to put it back together.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

this is the blurb for it

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

That can't be the chassis number, but body number.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

Nice car, but the blurb cotains a strange mixture of incorrect facts. The chassis number provided is wrong, as 13536 is meaningless. Anything from this period would have a 6 in front, and so if we assume the 1 should really be a 6, making it 63536, this would make it a '46 car. However, the blurb says the build date was 14th May 1947.

My own car was built on 22nd May, 1947, and so very close to the build date of this car, mine having a chassis number of 1-065918, and the origianl engine, still with the car, being 1-93108. So, we would expect this vehicle to be somewhere close. The engine for the car in the blurb is very slightly early for the said build date, but pretty close, and as it says, the engine was provided by VW (never heard of such a thing before), so we know it's not original.

As for believing that it's the most original 47 known, I would challenge that assertion, as for starters, it doesn't even have its original engine! Often these 'history' plaques are embellished by someone other than the owner. I know that this happened to me once in a press article, where my car was said to be the oldest in the UK, which is not true, and not something I said, even if it is one of the oldest in the UK. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?!!!

Mika beat me by getting his reply in 1st, and I would confer with what he says as a distinct possibility, as the body number on mine is 14834. I difference of 1300 bodies in a week is possible, as many of the bodies sat around for long periods, before cars were actually assembled.

Last edited by Martin Southwell on Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

yes, I understand that the chassis number is 1-064705

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

OK. So, from the Samba list, for the chassis number 1-064705 provided, we can see that build date is 21st April 1947, and not 14th May 1947 as stated in the blurb. I believe that the latter is the delivery date.

To put things in perspective, looking at a letter I received from Bernard Wiersch of VW in 1979, in answer to questions regarding chassis number 1-064229, the engine number was given as 1-91248, the build date 14th April 1947, and delivery date of 30th April, 1947.

The Samba list gives an engine number of 95771 for the provided chassis number 1-064705, at that earlier time, which is slightly later than the car, whilst the engine number in the blurb is now fractionally earlier.

Nevertheless, a fine looking car, even if not correctly coloured, that would grace any garage.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know how anyone would say it is the most original '47. When he bought it, it had no pan and as I said, it was just a body shell, hood and doors for $75. Back when it was in HotVWs (May 1985, page 44) it had '61 and later front and rear aprons, '59 - early '63 front hood, oval decklid and a few other minor details, besides the color that were incorrect. Still a really nice car, and quite an accomplishment given there was no internet to help find parts. Just some club newsletters and word of mouth. About the only thing he had going for him was that parts were dirt cheap compared to today.

Maybe all of those incorrect parts have been corrected, but it certainly could never be the most original. The best it could be would be the most correct because it was put together from parts that didn't come together from the factory.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

a (late?) 42 kubel that has been restored by the jersey war tunnels museum in the channel islands.

sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

finster wrote:
there is a mid march kdf on the register that has a barrel tank and cheek plates. there are about four other cars listed made late march and april. unfortunately I am not finding photos of the relevant area to see if they have the square tank...

I've never seen a 44 type 60 or 82e with the square tank. I assumed when the British fired up the beetle again in 45, they had no access to the barrel tanks, either due to bombing or supplier issues. And like in the case of the standard height spindles, they just went with what they had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
finster wrote:
there is a mid march kdf on the register that has a barrel tank and cheek plates. there are about four other cars listed made late march and april. unfortunately I am not finding photos of the relevant area to see if they have the square tank...

I've never seen a 44 type 60 or 82e with the square tank. I assumed when the British fired up the beetle again in 45, they had no access to the barrel tanks, either due to bombing or supplier issues. And like in the case of the standard height spindles, they just went with what they had.

I think that's what I'd assumed also, so we really need to find some 'late' 44's to confirm.

56' Oval
71' Westy
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

might be best to start a new thread on kdf petrol tanks more people in the know might see it then...

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

finster wrote:
a (late?) 42 kubel that has been restored by the jersey war tunnels museum in the channel islands.

What on earth has happened to the visble front wing? It seems to have been cut too short on the front by a considerable margin, so as not to be level with the bottom of the adjoining bodywork, plus the headlight is situated in some random, high up position. Rolling Eyes
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

I used the term restored loosely. I think it was mainly a de-rust and repaint, although that wing would be relatively easy to sort. here's a couple of before photos

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

It would appear to be a good basis for a half decent resto. Maybe museum funds are limited? Those tyres if I'm not mistaken, are 15" Firestone M&S, as I still have some somewhere. If the engine lid is original, then the vehicle is mid 43 onwards, but obviously these things can be changed.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

1946 with kubel headlamps

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

Great photos!! Awesome looking car.

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

full article here https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/ivan-hirst-beetle/

cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

I love that restoration, it looks just how you'd imagine it to look if it had just survived in tact and just parked in a lock up for years.

Also I've been to the Jersey tunnels and saw that kubel, need to find the pictures of it, possibly on my previous phone.

56' Oval
71' Westy
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Present Day Photos of KDFs, Kubels and Schwimmers Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
kdf38 wrote:
Brezelmeister wrote:
Regardless they are clearly not KdF cars.

1946 and 1947 are definitely KdF. Any Std. VW thru about mid 49 with a solid metal passenger dash with a VW emblem is a KdF. Why; because Ferdinand Porsche was still living at the time.

Even though the very first cars made after the war were essentially identical to the prewar cars, the fact that the nazi party had ceased to exist is was signifies which cars are KDF-wagens, and which not. Not any technical specifications.

Agree. Even if the cars produced after the allied take-over were identical, at first, to the cars produced under Nazi regime, they should not be called KdF-wagens. The British never used that designation, it died in the bunker on April 30, 1945. A handful of Volkswagen were produced before the production ramped up during Christmas 1945, but they were Volkswagens, not KdF. The Volkswagen trademark was actually secured by the regime in 1935, it was always planned used for a trademark for the car, but AH had this whim to rename it KdF wagen on May 26, 1938, for propaganda purposes. The factory was always named Volkswagenwerk.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: