Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles Reply with quote

Nice work Seth, wish you were my neighbor Laughing
My vert has the same under coating in the engine compartment so I think it came from the Karmann factory.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles Reply with quote

Yup my vert too. It looks like the same stuff they shoot into the quarters and doors.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, I'm glad that is factory sound deadening, as the idea of cleaning it off is NFG.
Still fussing with all the little details. The Bowden tube wanted 7 shims to fit correctly, so instead I modified the bracket a bit and used 3 shims.
Replacing the heater cables and heater tubes to the body. The hard brake line that goes over the trans is rusty so I'll replace it.
A few aspects of my engine rebuild are probably going to drag on, mainly the cylinder head rebuilding. My zwitter is at the paint shop, and the motor is just sitting here stripped down, so I've decided to run it for the summer. It's a 36hp with a cam and higher compression, so it should do just fine..
The car had a later 36hp shroud, with holes for wire clips, and the only correct shroud I had was this one, but it was very rusty in and out. This is after many hours of blasting and ospho

Then last weekend I started working on the rear accident damage in the engine bay

The rear quarter was pushed forward and up, resulting in the bend, and the entire side tray was high by an inch. The bumper was high on that side too.
Many hours with a porta power and hammers and I managed to get it so much better.

At one point, I bolted a ring to the concrete floor, and chained the bumper mount to it. Then by jacking the passenger side torsion bar, the whole rear quarter was pulled back down. But it was cold and I had gloves on and neglected to take pics..
Anyway, new rubber in, and repair complete!

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles Reply with quote

Here's something I didn't expect: the car was in the Sept 21 issue of Hot VW!
Dan and Kari took it and their 67 Westy to a show, and I guess it made the cut

Guess I'll be on the lookout for this issue, to keep with the car

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles Reply with quote

I try to put a few hours into the engine every week, even if I'm tired or swamped with other stuff. And I've considered a dozen or more combinations, before finally settling on the following
77mm bore x 69.5 stroke
stock head castings, larger 33mm intake valves installed, ported and polished
single Zenith NDIX carburetor
010 or 019 distributor
Late doghouse oil cooler (because cooling a vert is hard)
The cam choice is still up in the air. I have a stage 2 cam from aircooled research, but Matt never sent me the specs on it. I "think" it's similar to an Isky 2j. I may have a custom cam done. Not sure. Compression is prob 8.5-9 to 1
I have some nice OG high compression pistons that I'll be running too
Nobody local would give me the time of day when I was asking about the heads, so I tooled up and am doing them myself. Shocked
guide removal: seems like there are ten ways to remove the guides, I did the best I could with what I had. I core drilled the guides 3/4 of the way through, leaving a step at the end, and just a very thin wall holding it in the head. Then I used a punch against the step and drove them out. That worked fine for most, but I did break a few and had to remove the leftover chunks from in the head. Not fun. And every head had different guides, even a few cast iron.

Then removing the intake seats.
Cut down some old exhaust valves, and weld them right to the existing seats.

Tap out the whole thing, repeat

This is Tom Thumb. He's a recent stray I adopted. Not much help but he is enthusiastic when I spend time out in the barn (where he lives)

New seats from CB

That's where I've left those, while waiting on some stuff to make the seat counterbore. Exciting!
And then, right in time for my birthday, Jose from DPR sent my stuff!

The crank is standard rod journals, .10 mains
The flywheel is 14lbs, 3.5lbs lighter than stock. The crank is 3 lbs heavier than stock. So the whole assembly weighs about the same, but the weight is now on the crank throws which is the weakest part of a stock 36 crank.
I'm going to get started on fitting stuff in the case this weekend, but first I need to thoroughly clean the barn....
SD
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles Reply with quote

NICE UPDATE!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles Reply with quote

Seth your skillset and determination are amazing not to mention your toolset.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles Reply with quote

Hi, Seth. After first seeing 'Sprinkles at New Jersey's Dubs in the Shrubs VW meet last May, and again along with finally meeting you at the Aircooled Gathering in September; it's very interesting to see the car up close and partially "dissected".

Have you thought about giving it a nickname "jayes" from the original owner's initials similarly like your Samba name per your initials?

We rarely see such detailed (and very good quality) photos and explanations of a VW transmission regardless of the year. I've always regarded a transmission as a "black box" that would be replaced as a unit, instead of opening one up and looking inside. A VW friend George F in northern NJ was skilled with rebuilding them as a hobby about 30+ years ago, and would sometimes have one apart when I'd stop by his backyard workshed. I paid him to rebuild a later trans at that time. He, just like you, was careful with the tolerances of measuring and knew about the special jigs needed for some of the assemblies.

Your cat could be the younger twin brother to mine!

Trivia: The bearings- "SKF" stands for the Swedish-based Svenska Kullagerfabriken based in Gothenburg. "FAG" stands for Fischer's Automatische Gussstahlkugelfabrik (Fischer's automatic steel ball factory) named after the founder Friedrich Fischer and his machine to grind steel balls perfectly spherical. SKF had many factories and subsidiaries worldwide; in Germany it was based in Schweinfurt which is why many people think that the S in its name stands for that city. The K and F also translate directly with the German words Kugellager Fabrik. Coincidentally FAG is also based in Schweinfurt.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 vert Jimmy Sprinkles Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Hi, Seth. After first seeing 'Sprinkles at New Jersey's Dubs in the Shrubs VW meet last May, and again along with finally meeting you at the Aircooled Gathering in September; it's very interesting to see the car up close and partially "dissected".

Have you thought about giving it a nickname "jayes" from the original owner's initials similarly like your Samba name per your initials?

We rarely see such detailed (and very good quality) photos and explanations of a VW transmission regardless of the year. I've always regarded a transmission as a "black box" that would be replaced as a unit, instead of opening one up and looking inside. A VW friend George F in northern NJ was skilled with rebuilding them as a hobby about 30+ years ago, and would sometimes have one apart when I'd stop by his backyard workshed. I paid him to rebuild a later trans at that time. He, just like you, was careful with the tolerances of measuring and knew about the special jigs needed for some of the assemblies.

It was good to meet you at Flanders too, I always love to put faces to names.
We call the car Jimmy Sprinkles, or sometimes Mr Sprinkles because that's how it is known. It's deeper than just myself; the last owners and many of the local VW heads know the car by name. It's ridiculous and endearing, and I'm imagining that if James Sprinkles was alive he would be amused.
There is also a personal joke between my daughter and I, where the name is key. It's actually one of the deciding factors when I bought the car. here's the short version:
In Philadelphia, the long colored ice cream topping is referred to as "Jimmies"
Everywhere else in the world incorrectly refers to them as "sprinkles". And even though she was born and raised in Philly, my daughter insists on calling them sprinkles, just so that she can argue with me about it. So when I had the chance to buy a car named Jimmy Sprinkles, how could I turn it down?
And about the pictures and transmission, and everything I document... there are many thoughts behind it all. From a self-help standpoint sometimes (often) I refer to my own threads to help recall everything about a repair. And where I feel there isn't a concise thread showing how a thing goes together or falls apart, I try to fill the gap. Like with the trans, there are hundreds of engine rebuild threads, and very few showing the split case transmission. Personally, I think the transmission is easier to rebuild than the engine. But finding all the parts sure is more difficult..
And then, the way I see it we are only curators of these things. Someday someone else will probably own Jimmy Sprinkles and maybe they will find this and see everything that has been done over the years.

Rome wrote:
Your cat could be the younger twin brother to mine!

Sure does! My Tom is an amazingly calm barn cat. Last night he was fast asleep while the compressor was running hard to keep up with the blast cabinet. Didn't even flinch! And very cool trivia about the bearings. I've come to learn that SKF now rebrands many lesser quality bearings, but supposedly FAG is still all good quality
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: