Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Jesus that’s horrible! Scary thing is a lot of the underside work could’ve been hidden by grinding down the mess, bit of sealer and say raptor bed lining coating and you’d have been none the wiser, get the new shop to take step by step photos so you can see the welding standard before it’s covered up-it looks like they are on this already.
I’ll be following this one it’s got a great history and hope it goes to plan this time!

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Work continues today, re-doing the important structural repairs underneath that were badly botched in 2019-2020.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1967 Dodge A-108 CampWagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

That’s more like it, I think these guys will see you right Thumbs Up

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Update as work continues:

We can now see that old metal structure behind the new metal was not prepared at all by shop no 1. Shop no. 2 damaged this and other panels with unskilled media blasting.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

that must be both satisfying to get it fixed properly and disheartening to see how crap a job the first place did. Are they gonna glue/panel bond on the long panel?
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

The "before" looked pretty good to me, but what do I know.

volksbus wrote:
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

DanM wrote:
Looked pretty good to me, but what do I know.

volksbus wrote:

When you get a chance, give it a read. It looks good here at the beginning because of the work we were able to do for it in the 90s. It got a good paint job and some ad-hoc patches underneath. At that time, replacement frame and body panel parts were not so easily available. So, it always looked good a block or more away.

What we saved for -- for years -- was a restoration that fixed the problems underneath. In not doing so, the severly botched restoration did a lot of bad fabrication/fitment/ welding and added thick primer and thick dirty, sloppy and hairy paint...therefore, yes, we were forced to start over.

The bus looked good but needed work. It was getting such that we were having to be careful and creative about putting it on a lift. We were promised a careful restoration to keep the best of what we had and to replace what was rusted beyond repair. What we got was a five-year long nightmare.
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

volksbus wrote:
When you get a chance, give it a read.

I've been reading since your first post. Not sure what to tell you - you got F'd, but you walked into the lion's den for a "full restoration", and now that whole bus has to be saved from the brink. From your pics and description, the bus could have been down for a month or three of underside work and paint blending, but hindsight is 20/20. I sincerely hope you see it through - it's a great bus with cool history and obviously means a lot to you.
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

DanM wrote:
volksbus wrote:
When you get a chance, give it a read.

I've been reading since your first post. Not sure what to tell you - you got F'd, but you walked into the lion's den for a "full restoration", and now that whole bus has to be saved from the brink. From your pics and description, the bus could have been down for a month or three of underside work and paint blending, but hindsight is 20/20...

You're correct. First scope with first shop...it was supposed to be done, May to December 2019. They finished the botched job in the fall of 2020. 2nd shop had it from July of 2022 through April 2023. 3rd shop had it April through September 2023, promising to start on it in two weeks and be finished by October 2023.
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

I feel for ya. Something I was told long ago and am now almost old(er) and wise(er) enough to follow: "Keep all the receipts, but NEVER add them up". Looking forward to continued (good!) work on this one.
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

In this van's history, the first owners, Mr. and Mrs. Fuller, of Richmond, Ind., drove it as far south as Guatemala on more than one occasion. This sticker is the souvenir from having broken down in Mexico at some point and being helped by the state-supported roadside assistants.

It was original and faded but still in good condition when it went to Shop No. 1 in 2019. The rear window rubber was new -- we had replaced it not long ago, without destroying the sticker.

We had a conversation about the sticker and its importance, and I marked it with a piece of painter's tape "keep." Nevertheless, it was nearly wiped off entirely.

So, we have had it recreated and we will print it for the finished project when the time comes. Here is the art to admire!

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

This is what we look like inside...removing all rust that was hidden and fabricating the pieces that are not available:

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Finding a place that does good metal work is tough these days. Lots of hacks out there and the good ones are always busy and take time to get in to. Hopefully this latest guy you found is the final stop.
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

How I Lost Another Year Trusting Another VW BS'er

I am sorry to share a very disappointing experience with Adam Kottke (Seward Speed Shop) Rockford, Illinois. [email protected]

AKA Shop No. 3.

I was introduced to Adam in March 2023, and we began talking about my bus restoration, which was a restoration gone wrong through two shops prior. Adam said he would go look at the bus and consider it. We met in person and talked about the scope. We have friends and experiences in common and his skills and accomplishments seem comprehensive and well known. There was no indication he would do me wrong. He seemed to be and talked like a solid guy.

While he didn't make it to the previous shop (Rockford to Woodstock) to see the bus in advance, he decided to take on the job and my bus was towed there in April 2023. We were off on the right track and Adam promised he would start in two weeks.

By July, he was still promising to start in two weeks, and said I had a place in line with a good restoration body shop -- P.A.B. Collision Repair Center of Kenosha, Wis. (which turned out to not be true). "Next week we should be throwing sparks on your beauty!" he wrote on July 14, 2023. And he wrote that it would be finished and ready for paint in October.

Over the next weeks and months, Adam had me order $5K in new metal and updated me with his evaluation of the condition of the bus. He said the media blasting by Das Kaferhaus (Randy Sheridan in Woodstock, IL, who damaged multiple panels significantly.) "Wavy gravy," Adam said, time and again. He reinforced this when I visited in person again in September and we again talked about the scope of the project. I told him I heard him loud and clear and that I would follow up with Randy about this damage that both he and his partner told me so much about.

Well, on Sept. 21, I got a "Dear John" email from Adam, stating that he was quitting the job.

"The fact that you are still trying to get money back from Randy because of the warped panels (knowing that the blasting had nothing to do with the warping) gives me very cold feet. I am not comfortable moving forward with this project. I am quite sure I will not be able to please you or meet up to your expectations and I do not want to be held liable for any adverse issues this bus may encounter years after its completion."

I reached out to him by phone, email and text. He never responded. I even signed and sent him a hold-harmless agreement. I told him I trusted his work and that I wanted the job done. I know for a fact that racers trust him with their lives. No response. My expectations, which we had discussed in person twice, were that he would start the job and do his best.

Adam prides himself on an unusual "I never take photos of anything" way of doing business. I think this is emblematic of how he doesn't hold himself accountable for his work. And, I don't understand how he is so wishy-washy when it comes to evaluating a job. It seems as though he just repeats the last thing he heard from the last guy he talked to. I don't know how talking about panels warped by media blasting for months turns into the exact opposite thing a few days later. It seems flippant and unprofessional to me.

While he may still be good as a supplier of parts, and routine maintenance, his reliability for bigger projects has clearly diminished. It hurts to write this because I did trust him and I did lose another year to yet another BS'er. I was not able to finish or enjoy my bus because Adam strung me along, two weeks at a time and then quit without doing a single thing to move the project forward.

I wanted to believe that there was this great guy, a VW mechanical genius with a hoard of parts who was friendly, reliable and trustworthy. It turns out that it is just talk and ego more than anything else.

During my last visit with him, he was servicing the Vanagon of a deep-pocketed client. Adam said he hated doing that kind of work but would still do it for loyal customers. He said he preferred building motors and bigger projects. After sitting on my project for six months and then turning it away, I am not sure what he wants or what he will actually take on and finish.

I share this as a warning. If you are going to do a bigger project with Adam, get it in writing somehow and don't fall for the "two weeks" trap.

Last edited by volksbus on Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Much progress this week as body work continued and primer was applied!

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Re-found a larger piece of the original floor covering today and cleaned it. I'll get a high resolution image of it this week and begin the process to have it reproduced.

JonnySO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

No shame, just curious. Why did you not have it media blasted or acid dipped during the first go at a restoration?
volksbus wrote:
Update as work continues:

We can now see that old metal structure behind the new metal was not prepared at all by shop no 1. Shop no. 2 damaged this and other panels with unskilled media blasting.

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

JonnySO42 wrote:
No shame, just curious. Why did you not have it media blasted or acid dipped during the first go at a restoration?

I trusted the professional restoration shop which said it was not needed, and that all rust had been removed or treated. They promised a sensitive restoration to preserve as much of the original bus as possible. This driver's side is the best example where they said it was all treated before the new panel went on. I did ask for pics for proof.

Short answer is that the project scope grew in direct proportion to lack of skill level, attention to detail and honest work. That continued with Shop. No. 2, as well, which goofed up panels and doors with media blasting (sand).
volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Work continues at a brisk pace! It is inspiring to see what one honest person can do when he clocks many hours, puts in the work and takes pride in his craft.

volksbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 SO-42 Campmobile "Klaus" Restoration 2019 thru 2024 Reply with quote

Work continues at a good pace. This week, the passenger side panel was placed!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: