Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Nice work on the rocker!
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s some nice bead work there.the Creator laughs at me by creating talented people like you.

Laughing

Thanks, I try to make it look good, I don’t know if it’s talent quite yet Laughing

Shonandb wrote:
Nice work on the rocker!

Thanks, I’m just happy it’s done, it makes the rest of the metal work seem a lot closer to done when there’s not a gaping hole in the side. I got it ground down and it still looked good
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also had made some floor sections and I was able to take them into work and bend them on the bender there.

Then I got to the wheel wells. They are the prettiest but are strong and should hold up good. I’m just happy seeing everything get closed back up.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Today I worked on patching the floors, it’s a little ugly but I just need floors that are solid enough and don’t let water through. I got pretty far and then ran out of shield gas so I won’t be able to finish floors this weekend Mad I still have plenty to do though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Today I worked on getting a good 72 transmission setup from the spare 71 transmission so I can put that in the 72 and take out the 091. I started by cleaning the one that I’m using and then tore both down. I put the 72 transmission together and put the 71 parts on it that is didn’t want, the shorter input shaft, bell housing and the differential. The 71 transmission is getting all the parts to make it work with the type 4. I didn’t mind the gearing it had when I first started driving it but the 72 trans was popping out of fourth. I discovered today the pinion shaft had axial play and the nut for the pinion bearing was loose and only stopped by the peening for it. So that transmission is definitely shot. I have all the gaskets and seals on order so I should be able to build it out later in the week. I also will get more shield gas tomorrow so I’ll be able to finish up the welding.

yugo42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Great work! I love this thread because I have almost all of these same repairs in my future, and since you aren't as easily distracted as me it's fun to watch the progress. My frame is more solid but your panels are generally not as crunchy as mine. I opted to take out the whole cargo floor so we'll see if that was the right choice.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Axial play in the pinion shaft... I have a trans sitting here, and if I grab both output cv flanges and try to rotate back and forth, I can hear slop towards the nose cone end of the trans. Not a lot of radial movement is allowed when moving the cv flanges back and forth, but you can hear a click or clunk up towards the nosecone end. I suspect some slop there in that bearing area. Would I have to pull the bell housing off to get a visual on that pinion nut area?

Is that where you noticed slop?

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

yugo42 wrote:
Great work! I love this thread because I have almost all of these same repairs in my future, and since you aren't as easily distracted as me it's fun to watch the progress. My frame is more solid but your panels are generally not as crunchy as mine. I opted to take out the whole cargo floor so we'll see if that was the right choice.

Thanks! Hopefully this can help a bit with the idea of work needed. I also have a deadline of end of April to get it ready for non-stop driving so I can’t get too distracted Laughing

Also, buying the cargo floors is definitely the best idea, I wish I would have done that now, but then again the cost would have been a lot. It’s definitely the way to go though

soissisc wrote:
Axial play in the pinion shaft... I have a trans sitting here, and if I grab both output cv flanges and try to rotate back and forth, I can hear slop towards the nose cone end of the trans. Not a lot of radial movement is allowed when moving the cv flanges back and forth, but you can hear a click or clunk up towards the nosecone end. I suspect some slop there in that bearing area. Would I have to pull the bell housing off to get a visual on that pinion nut area?

Is that where you noticed slop?

You could see the slop at both ends of mine, you could see the bearing on the nose cone side moving in and out as I moved it back and forth. You could do either end to inspect, nosecone side may be easier though. Hopefully that helps and makes some sense.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

That makes sense, I may check it out before I throw the trans back in there. I could have a look at everything else in there. Thanks.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

soissisc wrote:
That makes sense, I may check it out before I throw the trans back in there. I could have a look at everything else in there. Thanks.

No problem! Also if the bearing has pounded out the nosecone, you can buy a steel thrust plate and machine/ sand down the nosecone and put that in to save that nosecone and stop bearing movement, but it can only fix so much, it didn’t help on the 72 transmission. A decent amount of places sell it.

After work today I picked up some more shield gas and got to work. I got a lot more pieces done and they turned out good all things considered. The rear tubes for the heater that go through the body were rotted out around them. I just got rid of the tubes entirely since I didn’t need them and they were rotted. Replaced it with flat steel, it honestly turned out really nice for what I expected.

Then the less pretty floor, but it’s functional

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Didn’t get much metal work done today, all I did was one patch in the wheel well. The inner dog leg is shot on the left side sadly. That’ll be a long off project though.

But I did get the front end in, new shocks in after having to remove and old seized collar. I got steering connected and calipers on but I still have to hook everything else up but it looks good with the fresh paint. I also sprayed some fluid film into the beam and frame to stop them from rusting.

And then wheels on the ground again. I have to take the rear wheels off tomorrow to finish the rear wheel wells. I also did a bug cleanup after this picture.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Get your self a little safety stand for your coverage gas, Luke

Those are kind of bad when they fall over and clip off the valve.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Get your self a little safety stand for your coverage gas, Luke

Those are kind of bad when they fall over and clip off the valve.

I should, I’ve thought about it but never did yet. I’ll probably just strap it to the wall later today.

Wednesday I finished patching the floor, I only got a picture of one patch since my phone died when I went to take the picture of the other parts of the floor. I also got new shocks on the rear and finished the rear wheel wells up. I also got off the home-made coil-over shock, that thing puzzles me.

Yesterday I got nothing done on the bus, decided to take a little break and do some other stuff.

Today I’m hoping to get the last out rigger replaced since it showed up yesterday.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Yesterday? Slacker!

I have seen a full tank at 2000 psi go off. It leaves quite an impression, both figuratively and literally.

Early in my youth a group of us decided it would be cool to see what would happen if you knocked a valve off on a tank at a riverfront, with a sledge.

Chaos ensued
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Yesterday? Slacker!

I have seen a full tank at 2000 psi go off. It leaves quite an impression, both figuratively and literally.

Early in my youth a group of us decided it would be cool to see what would happen if you knocked a valve off on a tank at a riverfront, with a sledge.

Chaos ensued

I know, I sat on the beach while some Grateful Dead was playing in the bus, starting to bum around too much Laughing

I could imagine Laughing I saw a work safety video on it or maybe just a video and I’ll pass on setting it off. Though that does seem like something my friends would do. We still have our fun with magnesium cases Laughing

I got the tank secured to the wall, it’s on there Laughing

Then I installed a new clutch cable, took the pedal assembly apart and greaser it, and put it back in with a new clevis pin so I should be good for a while.

Then I wire wheeled the entire top side of the floor and it’s now ready for primer. I also got the bottom most of the way done. But the bottom side is miserable, so much rust and dust and wire bristles come off the wheel, land on the floor and then poke into my back when I move Mad
But some goodies have been showing up recently Very Happy I ended up going with a speedway radiator, same dimensions as the AFCO one but a little cheaper, it’s furnace brazed whereas the AFCO is completely TIG for the coolant passes. I looked it up and is still fine to weld on and it was half the price. I may still upgrade eventually but I wanted to see where this got me to start and how long it takes before I ruin a radiator doing something a bus shouldn’t Laughing

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Today I got the last outrigger installed. Then finished wire wheeling the underside, roughed up some of the new panels, and got everything primed. It all turned out decent, it’s nice to see it all looking nice and uniform. It was cold and took forever to get the underside painted. All the nooks and crannies to get in are a pain.

Then I got to work on the transmission. I grabbed my new seals for the transmission, the input and output shaft seals were from rock auto, and the output shaft seals are nowhere close to right, they have the wrong ones shown as right, so that was frustrating. They almost look like stub axle seals Question I at least got the nose cone back on with a new gasket.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Today I started on the rear brakes to switch it up a bit. All the adjusters were seized up, the ebrake cables were shot and seized up, and all the associated hardware was rusty. I started by unscrewing the part of the adjuster the shoe sits in. Then in took a long bolt and drove it in to ouch the adjusters out.

After I got everything out, I wire wheeled it all down. I used some pipe brushes to clean the threads inside the start part of the adjuster and the part the adjuster sits in, and wire wheeled the outside of everything else. I cleaned everything really well and then brushed on anti seize and reassembled. I put that stuff on any spot that would have some movement or could seize. It worked great though, all the adjusters turned smooth as butter. I also put a good amount of grease on the ebrake cables.

After that I painted the cargo floors, but then I ran out of paint

After that I fiddled with the Subaru engine and took the flywheel off. Cleaned up a bit because everything was everywhere Laughing then I fiddled with the wiring on the bus. Only the headlights/driving lights worked and the front hazards, no brake lights or turn signals. Turned out one connector was broken on the rear left to the bulb and the rear right just needed the bulb wiggled. I got the right turn signal to work but only the rear left attempts to light for left, the front doesn’t light up, but it does on hazards. Think I’ll have to look at the wiring diagrams. I was just really happy I got the rear working because the wires in back are badly butchered from trailer wiring.

On another note, I found this green shoe tucked into the cavity under the front left seat. It was shoved between the wheel well and the cable for the walk through heater vent, the heel was tucked into the front of the shoe so it was folded in half, it was shoved in there though, you had to be at the right angle to see it. Super strange. Any superstitious reasons someone would put a green vinyl show tucked up there? Laughing

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Too bad. If it was an old brown shoe George Harrison would have wept to get his Bus guitar back ….
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Who ever it was I hope they take this shoe back Laughing it really kinda creeps me out

Yesterday I got the underside of the floor painted and that was about it, I was tired so I called it after that.

Today was a bunch of random work. First, doing another clean of the garage, attempting to get all the wire wheel wires off the floor so they stop getting in my clothes and poking me. After that, I cut the old Bowden tube off, it was shot and seized in place. I got a new one in but I think it needs adjusting as I couldn’t adjust the clutch cable enough before I ran out of threads. I thought it looked good but it must not have enough sag.

Next up we’re finishing up the brakes, I had to run a new long section of line between the proportioning valve and rear T as I accidentally had nicked the line while replacing that frame. One of the bolts had also broken on the proportioning valve that holds it to the frame. It seized on the bolt shank, no threads, it was so rusted that the slip fit part of the bolt into the proportioning valve that I couldn’t get it to move, I tried to drill it out but the didn’t work. I tried welding a piece of metal to the broken bolt, no luck. It was just super seized so I decided to just stick it on with one bolt and line the other one up properly. It was annoying. I also had to install the power brake booster, then the master cylinder and hook up the line to the reservoir. Now I just need to bleed the brakes and it should be good.

I also got the shifter cleaned up, wire wheeled off all the rust, regreased and put it back together. The front bushing is definitely shot for the front shift rod section.

I decided to start the bus up and run it for a bit. It ran good but then I realized it was leaking badly of gas Rolling Eyes I also got the subie engine on the engine stand and test fit the adapter parts.

Now it’s snowing again and supposed to be a big snow storm tonight

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Yesterday I attempted to blend the paint into patina. I first sanded the primer a bit to get it smooth. Then I used two reds to try to match the color, it didn’t turn out well. I’m leaving it for now as I need to finish mechanical things. I’ll probably do the filler and everything else later on.

Then yesterday I started tearing down the Subaru engine. I had to get some parts and tools from the store so that ate up a lot of time as well as ordering some of the last parts. I got the heads off and got it cleaned up a bit.

Today, the yellow bus didn’t want to start after work and that delayed me leaving and hour and a half and getting work done. I think it was a combo of a bad TS2 and a ripped vacuum boot (replaced less than a year ago Rolling Eyes ) then the battery died trying to start it and I couldn’t get it push started.

After all that, I cleaned the subie block up at the mating surfaces, put the rebuilt heads on, torqued them down, got the timing belt back on and associated parts, and got the air oil separator in. I also spent some time cleaning the garage.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

See your Doctor and get a Tetnus booster if you aren’t up to date , with all that scrap metal pieces.

Dr Abscate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: