Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

I did the swap on our 71, I followed the VDub nut radiator install last summer , I had the local radiator shop move the inlet & outlet tubes
still have to build a scoop, and cover grate for the radiator

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lowest point is the engine hanger on mine

clearance

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Superman73, I think I’m going to go for the swap Cool

Shonandb, thanks for posting the cost! I was wondering and was about to shoot you a PM about it. That’s not too bad of a cost for the swap either, and Id take a guess a decent amount of that cost was AC and rebuilding the transmission. I’m also thinking if I build my own engine hanger and oil pan that should save a decent amount, though the aluminum one looks nice and that may be one upgrade I’d want.

Also thank you for those radiator pictures! Help give me and idea for location. The lift spindles are nice, I’d like to get some eventually and that’d help clearance too.

DocNexil, that bus looks nice on there and looks well tucked up and stealthy. I may bring the scoop up to the front beam.

W1K1, beautiful bus you have! I looked through most of your Subaru planning thread and the build thread. It turned out great, the engine compartment is very cleanly done! Thank you for the additional radiator photos too!

So a few questions for you, it looked like you trimmed the edges of the engine compartment, was that needed to be done to fit the engine or could I squeeze it in?

On another note for the swap, I’m currently looking at late 90s, 2000 manual Imprezas for the swap. Reason being since my friend that’s helped me build the 1600 for that’s in the bus and helped me pull the engines at the junkyard has a 96 Impreza wagon 5 speed that he’s launched a bit much and second gear isn’t doing hot Laughing so if we can find a decent one we are splitting the car and he get a transmission and a bunch of parts he needs and I get the engine swap stuff. We have our eyes on one with 160K miles that’s rotted to death that runs and shifts well. Time will tell on that one

Then today I felt way better and got back to the garage and burnt in the middle rocker, I think the track may be a smidge low but I’m happy with it. I got the door opening and closing amazing, it doesn’t fall out, shuts easy, opens with two fingers now and pops open instead of prying it open with screwdrivers. I can gently push it open instead of putting my weight into the door to shove it open and not let it fall out Laughing my harbor freight vice grips make nice welding clamps Laughing I also threw the outer skin on, I need to do a good amount of work before it goes on.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

I know y’all were dying to see more rocker pictures Wink Laughing

Today I got the welds finished up on the upper track. I had a few through holes for alignment I had to weld. I made a copper backer by smashing a welding tip flat. I bought the harbor freight welding tip pack that comes with 4 sizes and I’ll never use the one for welding so it works out welll. After that I got all the welds ground down on that, added a bit more to spots that needed it, and now it looks nice and smooth. I also finished up some other welds on the middle rocker. I got the rest ground down.

Then I went to replacing the bad chunk of frame rail, I could have probably got by with patching it but it was pitted all over and it was going to be easier to replace it all. That went surprisingly easy.

After that I got the lower C pillar welded back in and prepped the area. I started trimming everything for the rear patch panel and the final rocker. Hopefully I can get that all done tomorrow.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Very impressive work!! Keep it up, you’ll have a great camper in no time. As you know 71 is a great year & that red color fits perfectly.
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:

What a weekend! Long story short the bus made the 250 mile drive to Manitowoc Wisconsin from Houghton. Very Happy .....
...... So I started on it Saturday morning with a -3 degree Fahrenheit wind chill and snow blowing down. I spent all day working on it and then got it driving and it started to run really well. I decided I’d try to drive it to Wisconsin by some insanity. .....
.............I made it two hours into the drive and was freezing, no heat and it was 9F outside. I stopped and filled up and warmed up for a bit and got some hand and foot warmers.
....I finally made it home at 8:30 Central time and I was happy to be done with the drive and I’m still unthawing from it.

Sounds very familiar.... I also had a '71 in college ohhhh, about 35 years ago. I remember putting a used engine in it in my parents garage. Bus was too tall to drive in, so had it backed up to the garage door. Over Christmas break (same time frame) in southeast Michigan (similar cold weather). I distinctly remember driving it home in the cold back to MSU with no heat; in fact major wind chill, as the slider didn't fit right. fun times!

Thanks for bringing back some nostalgic memories.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
Very impressive work!! Keep it up, you’ll have a great camper in no time. As you know 71 is a great year & that red color fits perfectly.

Thank you! It should be done just in time for summer, I’m excited to use it, and actually enjoy driving it vs a the 250 miles death mission with it Laughing
TrollFromDownBelow wrote:

Sounds very familiar.... I also had a '71 in college ohhhh, about 35 years ago. I remember putting a used engine in it in my parents garage. Bus was too tall to drive in, so had it backed up to the garage door. Over Christmas break (same time frame) in southeast Michigan (similar cold weather). I distinctly remember driving it home in the cold back to MSU with no heat; in fact major wind chill, as the slider didn't fit right. fun times!

Thanks for bringing back some nostalgic memories.

I’m happy my misery could make someone’s day Laughing but it’s definitely a story I’ll never forget. It’s always great to drive VWs in Michigan with no heat Laughing At the end of the day it’s always a good memory. Nothing like all the food freezing into bricks in the car Laughing

Today the rocker repair wrapped up finally. I got the outer skin on and the rear 1/4 panel piece on. I was able to get very little warpage and it turned out very nice. The rocker outer skin isn’t perfect but one I off road it a few times the mud will hide it Laughing

Then I got a patch pieces added to the walkthrough, that went easy. I had to trim the top hat a bit to fit in place but that turned out good too. I got the jack point cleaned up and I should be able to finish the right side up tomorrow.

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Superman73, I think I’m going to go for the swap Cool

W1K1, beautiful bus you have! I looked through most of your Subaru planning thread and the build thread. It turned out great, the engine compartment is very cleanly done! Thank you for the additional radiator photos too!

So a few questions for you, it looked like you trimmed the edges of the engine compartment, was that needed to be done to fit the engine or could I squeeze it in?

On another note for the swap, I’m currently looking at late 90s, 2000 manual Imprezas for the swap. Reason being since my friend that’s helped me build the 1600 for that’s in the bus and helped me pull the engines at the junkyard has a 96 Impreza wagon 5 speed that he’s launched a bit much and second gear isn’t doing hot Laughing so if we can find a decent one we are splitting the car and he get a transmission and a bunch of parts he needs and I get the engine swap stuff. We have our eyes on one with 160K miles that’s rotted to death that runs and shifts well. Time will tell on that one
]

I trimmed the edges because when i test fitted I was real close, and I couldn't see going back to a type 1 motor ever. I kept the sheet metal I cut off anyways.

busaru has some good info on engine choices, and general swap info
https://www.busaru.com/services/162-enginechoice

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Thanks W1K1! If I can I’m going to try to keep the stock edges then, but we’ll see, if they are being a pain they’ll go. Maybe I’ll keep the wood beater tray too Laughing it seems like nice wood and lasted 35+ years…

Anyways, yesterday I did just a little work, I got the Jack point installed and outrigger. I used a factory Jack an it held and worked good

Today me and a friend took the bus around the block a few times, it’s been a few weeks since it moved and it need to be flipped around in the garage anyways. I had to reconnect a gas line and refil the tank since I drained it because it was leaking. Turned out the fuel outlet but just needed to be tightened. It wasn’t too bad to fire up and ran decent. It kept dying if you didn’t give it gas and has a flat spot but it was fun to drive it. People just smile at it as we do laps with it and it’s loud exhaust. It may have a few holes in it.

I also cleaned the garage a bit and it’s ready for the next phase of work

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

I finished cutting out the old rocker and got the new inner one tacked in today. Hopefully done with the rockers and frame by next weekend.

superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

man, you are moving fast on this one.

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

various other parts cars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

superman73 wrote:
man, you are moving fast on this one.

I have a little practice now Laughing it also helped it was most of the way prepped before I started on it and now I know how to do it. Half the work is just removing the old rocker. I will have a lot of work fixing the floor on this side though.

Today I got the middles rocker in. It turned out really nice. I will say these are Wolfsburg West rockers and the seemed nicer than the UK made rockers from bus depot. Just fit a bit better and more detailed.

I also got the frame rail prepped. I had two sections and welded those together. Then I line it up and cut slits where the frame bends and matched the bend and welded it up. I wanted to get as much welding done not under the bus Laughing

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Nice work! I don't (didn't) have a proper welding jacket so I now have a few thick trainers/sweaters with a lot of holes in them from welding under the Bus. Good idea to do as much as you can before crawling underneath.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Nice work! I don't (didn't) have a proper welding jacket so I now have a few thick trainers/sweaters with a lot of holes in them from welding under the Bus. Good idea to do as much as you can before crawling underneath.

Yeah, it just sucks doing metal work under a bus, I haven’t lit myself on fire yet at least working under it Laughing

Didn’t get a ton done over the weekend, I got busy doing some other things, but I got the frame most of the way done. I got a bit more to do and I have to do outriggers but the main part is replaced. I also have to patch the frame around the front axel beam. I have some patch pieces from the Franken bus donor bus.

I also got the C-pillar bottom replaced/ patched. It’s ugly but it works. I got that done and then started chipping out the frame.

Then I took it out for a test drive and I had to take a picture in the sunset. I was doing laps around the block and then I ran out of gas as I was taking the picture and had to walk back and get some. d'oh!

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Got busy in the last week but was chipping away at a few things.

I still have a small section of frame to replace by where I repaired it. I thought it was solid but it was on the thin side.

I got the walkthrough/ heater outlet area patched up. I forgot to get good pictures of it but I basically made a cardboard template and cut out a section for it. I welded it in and then worked on getting the cross member in. I also got the outrigger and Jack point in. I still have some welding left on them though.

Also I think my welder is on its last leg Crying or Very sad it stopped feeding and giving power when I pulled the trigger. I figured out it was the main board. I found slightly bending the board made it work consistently again. Otherwise it won’t work. Hopefully it can last till I’m done with this at least.

In other news, I got a Subaru engine lined up. It’s a 2.2L from a 96 Impreza. It’s my friends that helped with the bus, same engine that pulled the engine that’s in the bus now Laughing it has 130K miles and blew a spark plug out of the head last week. Then he decided he would just swap in a factory turbo engine. I also have a donor Subaru I should be able to get a wiring harness from.

Here’s a video of that engine running, to be fair when we pulled this I though it was going to be a scrap engine since it didn’t turn over and the oil was solid Laughing Little did I know it’d take me hundreds of miles Laughing

Link
[/url]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Before you need to pull that engine you need the YouTube

‘ How to remove snow from a 1972 Bus” and my $69.99 adapter package which adapts the video from 1972 to 1971. Buy now and get $9.99 off and free shipping!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Before you need to pull that engine you need the YouTube

‘ How to remove snow from a 1972 Bus” and my $69.99 adapter package which adapts the video from 1972 to 1971. Buy now and get $9.99 off and free shipping!

Ah true! I probably would have got 50 more hp out of that 1600 if I had done so. Always those stinkin one year only 72 stuff! Razz
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

I got that small section of the rear frame rail fixed today, it wasn’t too bad, I also worked on fitting up the outer rockers skins along with finishing up some welds in random places.

Tomorrow I think will be pulling the front axle beam. What fun that will be Rolling Eyes more rotted frame to fix, but this should be the last. It’s worse than it looks in the picture too. I’ve never see this front part rotted so badly on other busses, maybe just sitting close to ground Think

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
I got that small section of the rear frame rail fixed today, it wasn’t too bad, I also worked on fitting up the outer rockers skins along with finishing up some welds in random places.
Tomorrow I think will be pulling the front axle beam. What fun that will be Rolling Eyes more rotted frame to fix, but this should be the last. It’s worse than it looks in the picture too. I’ve never see this front part rotted so badly on other busses, maybe just sitting close to ground Think

Nice work on the rear frame but damn, that front part of the frame is nasty! I'm sure that you'll sort it out and I look forward to seeing how you patch it up.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

The metal glue gun will make short work of that
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia “Fitz” saved from the scrapper Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:

Nice work on the rear frame but damn, that front part of the frame is nasty! I'm sure that you'll sort it out and I look forward to seeing how you patch it up.

Thanks! I’ve been going one step at a time. Trying not to get too much stuff apart at once. But I do have one trick up my sleeve for the front frame…

If you remember the short lived Franken bus and the donor I cut up in South Carolina, I saved part of the front frame piece of the SC parts bus when I sold the Franken bus knowing this needed to be fixed. Wish I would have saved more chunks from that instead of selling them with the Franken bus. Oh well
Abscate wrote:
The metal glue gun will make short work of that

Just as long as the glue gun keeps working Laughing

Stuff came up yesterday but I got the beam pulled today. I had to cut the collar of the shift rod since it was seized on. I can not get the speedometer cable out. The outer sheath is stuck in the hub and I was kicking the cable and it would budge. Right now it’s like an umbilical cord attaching the beam to the bus Laughing I also had to cut a front beam bolt off. It got halfway off and then it would come out further but it kept spinning. Turns out the threaded sections was shot

But other discoveries…
Other side frame is lovely too

I also found a shim between the body and front axle, only one piece of the front left side.

My clutch cable pin is doing well too

And brake fluid is all over the floor Brick wall d'oh! I’m done for today

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: