Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Went and got a notchback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what are your plans for carbs on the new motor? To try to save you some headache, the early cars have a narrower engine bay and fitting duals is a pain.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742183&highlight=early

I tried as many carbs as I could get my hands on, and recently tried some DCNF's as well. If you run the LHS backwards and notch the tin around the oil cooler, they might work.

I’m running the original style single side draft and intake manifold with stock exhaust.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I’m running the original style single side draft and intake manifold with stock exhaust.

Awesome. I was going to go the same route when I built the 1.8 but in the end decided to go to ICT’s for a little more power. I will be watching with interest as I need to rebuild my stock motor and was going to bump it a bit. If you haven’t had any work done to the heads, user Brian_e has an excellent write up in the performance section on improving singleport heads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

This may or may not be an issue for you yet. But something to consider. I was talking to a friend who had the Solex side draft and 64 single port manifold. He told me he had to de-carbon the heat riser twice while he owned it. And the impact of the clogged heat riser was readily apparent with rough running and power loss until it was really warmed up.
I asked him what he did. He tried different manifold and did his best to remove the carbon buildup, and polish the riser, but it would just clog with normal use. Said this was the biggest issue while using the side draft. This issue might be even more noticeable with a larger displacement.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
This may or may not be an issue for you yet. But something to consider. I was talking to a friend who had the Solex side draft and 64 single port manifold. He told me he had to de-carbon the heat riser twice while he owned it. And the impact of the clogged heat riser was readily apparent with rough running and power loss until it was really warmed up.
I asked him what he did. He tried different manifold and did his best to remove the carbon buildup, and polish the riser, but it would just clog with normal use. Said this was the biggest issue while using the side draft. This issue might be even more noticeable with a larger displacement.

I have a NOS intake, but maybe he was running too rich?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Raining cats and dogs today so went into the gorge and finished building the long block for the Notch.
New Autolinea Aluminum case
69mm German crank, one over.
90.5 pistons and cylinders
New rods
Engle 90 cam and lifters
6v flywheel
New AA single port heads, stock springs, stainless valves.
All original German hardware except the rod ARP bolts.
7.8 compression with an 040 deck, tight but should run nice and cool.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

I’ve got my heater channel in, still acting on the outer rocker. What’s the deal with the wiring tube? Does the tube go in the actual heater tube or alongside it covered by the outer rocker?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I’ve got my heater channel in, still acting on the outer rocker. What’s the deal with the wiring tube? Does the tube go in the actual heater tube or alongside it covered by the outer rocker?

Along side it. There should also be a "heat shield" between the heater tube and the wiring tube. The heat shield acts as an insulator for the heat tube, keeping the cool outer air from cooling the heated air.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Along side it. There should also be a "heat shield" between the heater tube and the wiring tube. The heat shield acts as an insulator for the heat tube, keeping the cool outer air from cooling the heated air.

Thanks for the response Bob.
Does the heat shield attach to the lower inner rocker flange along with the outer rocker cover?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Thanks for the response Bob.
Does the heat shield attach to the lower inner rocker flange along with the outer rocker cover?

Yes, it attaches to the heat tube top and bottom via tabs that are tack welded in place.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Been thinking for quite a few weeks how to alter the late model heater channel to look more like an early one and came up with this.
I installed the late channel, fully welding the section in behind the kick panel and tacking the front section in after I cut the forward heater vent section out.
I used a vent piece ISP sells that looks like the early one more or less.
Luckily whoever hacked out the old one left a fragment of the original so I was able to locate the new vent, which is important as the carpet kit has openings in it that much match up.
I had to make some bends in the vent piece to allow for the cover to slide on and fab a piece to receive the cover attached to the top of the heater channel. I then had to cut out the stepped section to make a flat angled inset for the cover to retract on when open.
I then was ready to attack the rest of the channel to make it look more correct. I used a tool to get the proper angle and then cut down the length of the channel on the top step. I then bent in the step so when I pushed the panel in to the proper angle it would but up against the top of the channel which I also had to bend out using at slapped and a hammer. I then got in a few tack welds before it got too late. Tomorrow I will finish the welding. With carpet in it it should look correct.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Good work. As a heads up, since you mentioned it, the carpet always has the wrong vent placement the first 3 times you order it, so you may want to order now so it's in the correct place a few tries down the line. BTDT
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Pretty much finished up the pan. Have a few more items to adjust, hook up, but the bulk of it is done. I chose a stock look, but am going with the 12 volt alternator and 12 volt with six volt pinion gear high torque starter. I plan on driving this thing long distance, so want reliability.
Discovered that I am missing a thermostat type device that goes between the heat riser on the box and the intake manifold. Of anyone has one let me know. I’m in the market!

Finished up the heater channel, tried to get a better picture so you can see the new angle of the ISP heater channel. Did some more patching on the outer quarter wall. Have to wait for the rocker to finish it off so I will keep moving on.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I chose a stock look, but am going with the 12 volt alternator and 12 volt with six volt pinion gear high torque starter. I plan on driving this thing long distance, so want reliability.

Please report how the starter works. I bought a starter with the same specification (not sure if same brand) and it us unusable....

The problem is that te starter is not machined the same way as a stock starter and does not get locked into position by the gearbox. Before I tighten the two nut I can move the starter a few milimeters. This is enough to make the starter gear out of position and bang on the flywheel instead of engage.

When the starter spin the engine it is great (very powerful), but when you only get a "bang" on the flywheel it is not so fun.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

HenrikL wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I chose a stock look, but am going with the 12 volt alternator and 12 volt with six volt pinion gear high torque starter. I plan on driving this thing long distance, so want reliability.

Please report how the starter works. I bought a starter with the same specification (not sure if same brand) and it us unusable....

The problem is that te starter is not machined the same way as a stock starter and does not get locked into position by the gearbox. Before I tighten the two nut I can move the starter a few milimeters. This is enough to make the starter gear out of position and bang on the flywheel instead of engage.

When the starter spin the engine it is great (very powerful), but when you only get a "bang" on the flywheel it is not so fun.

It is a WOSP brand unit. I have one in my 59 Bus. It works fine. I know a lot of Porsche 356 guys use these on 12v conversions, I will check out there and see if they have had issues.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Great progress Dan!
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
Great progress Dan!

Thanks Jack.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Finished most of the welding. What a PITA. But the body is solid as a tank now. I double walled welded it like original, so it feels all nice and stiff.
Finished modifying the other rocker so once carpeted it will look correct. Fixed a hole in the inner fender too. Later I used kitty hair over the welds to seal them.
Moving on to stripping the body starting with the roof which just had surface rust. The drivers side rocker remains unfinished until ISP mails me my outerrocker.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

You're really going gangbusters on this project. I thought it was a "fill in project" while working on your bus. It looks like it's taken on a life of it's own now to be completed. I know how that goes though. Wink
It's coming along nicely, and you're making great progress on it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You're really going gangbusters on this project. I thought it was a "fill in project" while working on your bus. It looks like it's taken on a life of it's own now to be completed. I know how that goes though. Wink

Dan is an "all in" type a guy like us Bob. Glad he's found fun and excitement with restoring type 3's.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

The bus has stalled because I got sidetracked on the Notch. I’ve built plenty of buses but never a Notch so the novelty of it I guess is drawing me in.
Yeah Jack I’m all in for sure, I think some people think I should be in the nuthouse due to my obsession.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: