Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 engine build from type 1 case
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

I have picked up a type 1 case from 1972. It is torn down completely and I am going to rebuild it as my first engine build (just for fun since I got it so cheap and have no winter car projects).

Seems biggest challenge in using this for a type 3 is the oil fill setup. This case does not have the opening down low in the case for the type 3 oil filler I'm familiar with in my fastback. It has the type 1 dipstick tube. Beyond that, from my research, it seems feasible to build this for type 3.

What say you? Is it worth the trouble to try to do this type 3 build? That oil fill has me stumped.
T-roy
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

Quite simply, it will not be compatible. You need a universal case or a Type 3 case.
While you can build this long block from this case. You will not be able to have a normal oil filler (Which is also the where the Type 3 dipstick goes. You will have to create a filler and breather which can be done, although clumsy. Then create a modified dipstick as the Type 1 dipstick will be obscured by the cooling shroud.
I have seen a person do it. But their way of filling and checking the oill was really messy.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I'll scrap the type 3 build plans and just build the type 1 out.

Cheers!
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

post a pic of the front of the case. You can make it work, I've done it
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:

Unfortunately it's missing the 3rd mounting boss/lug for the late engine hanger bar. According to some on here you could use the bolt on (oil pump cover?) that adapts to the engine hanger bar (like a late bus uses too). According to Tram, he doesn't like them, as they cause oil leaks, and you're basically holding the engine up by the oil pump studs.
Getting around the dipstick is easy using a long handle chrome one, but the oil fill does become a problem. What I did was modify a bug breather box (with screw on cap) and welded the type 3 road draft tube onto it. I used a 73 type 1 engine with the 3 lugs/bosses and type 3 cooling tin. I keep it under my welding table as a spare engine, that's ready to run. The draw back to running it, is that you have to remove the engine cover to check/add oil to the engine. Otherwise it works just fine.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

I don't think I would go with that case for any kind of "good" engine. Have you checked to see what size mains will fit. At a minimum you will need a align bore and have the case decked, plus one hell of a cleaning.

If you have a stash of used parts and just want to play / learn, go for it though.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

I have yet to give it a clean. I do have all the parts. So, we'll go through the motions.

Maybe not a type 3, however.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

Agree with what bob said, and that's why I was asking for a pic of the front. No holes for the rear hanger.

I personally have used the oil pump adapter and it's really a last resort option, the case may be fine for something earlier, but I wouldn't use it on an IRS type 3 if you don't have to
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

Bob and others using a type 1 block can use one of these for the oil fill

there's a more stockish looking one in the classifieds :

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2659310
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Bob and others using a type 1 block can use one of these for the oil fill

there's a more stockish looking one in the classifieds :

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2659310

In my case I used a type 3 stand, as I wanted to get that extra bolt (for the "grab handle") in it to support the fan shroud. I do like how that cap screws on though, but it eliminates the breather box.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

Trying to build this engine on the cheap. Want to know if these jugs are usable with the broken fins. They need to be cleaned up, but beyond that, not sure if those broken fins are a show stopper?

Thanks

71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:
Trying to build this engine on the cheap. Want to know if these jugs are usable with the broken fins. They need to be cleaned up, but beyond that, not sure if those broken fins are a show stopper?

Thanks

So here's my question: Are you trying to prove you can build an engine, or are you trying to have an engine once built will be able to run smoothly and without issues for more than 3 hours. (Preferably 100,000 miles)
If the just to prove you can build it, go for it. There are more to jugs than just fins. The cylinders and pistons should be balanced and with clean walls.
The four cylinders and pistons when sold are sold as a generally balanced set. If you are just picking cylinders and pistons at random, the car may seemingly run OK, but not really. The walls as seen in that pictures will be a real pain to hone well for the rings to not pass oil.
But that is just been my experience.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

I appreciate the reply. I know there is tons to know to build a good engine and that I know none of that. So, I guess I am just trying to go through the motions of the build. I'll do my best to clean all things up real good because I am still going to fire the engine when all done.

Thus, any questions i have going forward are with this understanding, I hope, and I can still get some good advise from all of you as I learn how to assemble the engine, and find I have questions. I'm getting close to retirement and I want to learn more on the engine side of VW builds so I can have some fun with future vw projects.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

just saw the irs/bar adapter that reminded me of this thread... I wouldn't start with this case for a couple of reasons.
1) it's going to take more machine work than the case is worth and finding reputable machine shop locally unless you are in socal is becoming pretty tough.
2) besides already pointed out issues for using it in irs t3 i also see a big gaping hole in the front, where is that plug? I don't think there is replacement for this.

Here is my experience with rebuilding a complete t3 engine with tins and everything. Almost every single component has given some sort of grief, crank, rods and bearings. At this point the only original part that's left in the long block is the case.

If you want to learn, like really learn what it takes to put an engine together, read bob hoover's blog. That is by far the biggest trove of knowledge and detail that you will not get from any manuals. Like what it takes to prep the case, cylinders and etc.

Anton
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

Thanks for that input. That hole must be for a oil temp sending unit. There must be a plug or a vdo temp sending unit to put in there. This engine came from a guy who built experimental aircraft. Maybe he had a need for that sensor. I've moved on from the idea of buidling a t3 engine, due to this case not a universal. I have a guy with a vw shop that just did my auto trannsmission work. I;ll bring this engine by him to see what he thinks of the case.. It cleaned up nice, as did the pistons, jugs, rods, crank and cam. measured cylinders and they are round and at stock diameter. case has not been line bored prior. Nor has the crank been machined.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

Looks to be missing the normal internal hex machining plug.

t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 engine build from type 1 case Reply with quote

71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: