Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [SOLVED]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Thanks Kamz, Whoops. Embarassed

But can you say, fer sher, that I was addressing *the same* Flapjack?
(Asking for the second cousin of a friend’s friend) Laughing

Flapjack, that’s a normal position. We’ve rarely run below straight up except for a short drive, and/or a cool day, and/or other low heat-producing variables. If any air’s left, you might see it drop a little lower once the air’s all gone.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flapjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

Well, I guess I THOUGHT things were fixed... but now I'm back with a mysterious leak. Sad

After driving about 15 minutes with my sparkly brand new cap, (okay, I've actually been driving around a few days with my new cap, but this is from stone cold after not driving a few days) I pulled into the parking lot of harbor freight (yep, to buy auto tools) and upon my return to the car I noticed a tiny leak under and a small pool of coolant. Neutral

Here's where things get strange: the REFILL tank which I had previously filled was now empty. But where was all the coolant? The small pool under the car was not even close to the amount that was in the refill tank... I opened the deck lid, set it down, and lo and behold about an inch air gap at the top of my PRESSURE tank.I could see coolant had leaked under the pressurized tank on the metal bracket. Here's what was weird:

Hoses? Bone dry. Tank? Bone dry (as far as I could feel, anywhere around, that being said I could not feel all the way under). And especially the TOP of the tank was super-dry. No liquid on the cap, hoses, etc. The WEIRDEST part?

The FOAM on the underside of the deck lid, right above the pressurized tank was SOAKED with coolant, so much that when turned on it's side it was dripping coolant out of the foam. Now, how does that make any sense? The top of the tank BONE DRY but the foam practically in contact with the top of the tank soaked in coolant?!?! :')
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

Were it mine, I would be testing the coolant for combustion products (i.e. checking for a head leak into the coolant).

A leak that forces 'air' into the coolant will push coolant into the fill tank until it overflows out of the top (as you drive). As the engine cools down it will suck coolant back from the fill tank until it is empty and then suck air leaving a pocket of air in the pressurized tank.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

flapjack wrote:

The FOAM on the underside of the deck lid, right above the pressurized tank was SOAKED with coolant, so much that when turned on it's side it was dripping coolant out of the foam. Now, how does that make any sense? The top of the tank BONE DRY but the foam practically in contact with the top of the tank soaked in coolant?!?! :')

This is how it makes sense to me:

The pressure tank has a leak, a crack, a leaky sensor, a leaky cap. You drive, heat the engine up, the pressure tank spews coolant into the decklid foam. While you're shopping the coolant evaporates off of the hot tank, etc. and they appear dry when you inspect them but the cool and absorbent foam stay wet.

Things leak like crazy when hot and pressurized and then look all "who me?" when cool and static.

FWIW.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

Have you tried using a coolant system pressure tester to locate the leak?

I consider these to be a required tool when owning any older vehicle: https://www.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-63862.html

I have used this so often, on many different cars, and it has saved me many times the initial $90 purchase price finding and fixing coolant leaks over the years.

The nice thing is you are working with a cool, rather than a hot, engine.

And you'll smile every time you break it out and use it because you know you've become the next level of steely-eyed Vanagon mechanic for whom coolant systems no longer hold any mysteries.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can also use it for pressure bleeding brake systems solo.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

Flapjack, that’s a normal position. We’ve rarely run below straight up except for a short drive, and/or a cool day, and/or other low heat-producing variables. If any air’s left, you might see it drop a little lower once the air’s all gone.

Just an FYI....... not everyones temperature gauge runs left to right, many go down to up.
So the straight up reference only applies to select units depending upon year and dash gauge options.
As an example, my 1990 GL with a tach has the gauge on the left side of the tach cluster. To have my needle pointing straight up spells overheating tragedy!
Mine runs at or just slightly above the LED.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flapjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
E1 wrote:

Just an FYI....... not everyones temperature gauge runs left to right, many go down to up.
So the straight up reference only applies to select units depending upon year and dash gauge options.
As an example, my 1990 GL with a tach has the gauge on the left side of the tach cluster. To have my needle pointing straight up spells overheating tragedy!
Mine runs at or just slightly above the LED.

Thanks dave, this is good to know. Mine is also a 1990 left side guage, currently running just above the LED like yours.
flapjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Have you tried using a coolant system pressure tester to locate the leak?

I consider these to be a required tool when owning any older vehicle: https://www.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-63862.html

I have used this so often, on many different cars, and it has saved me many times the initial $90 purchase price finding and fixing coolant leaks over the years.

The nice thing is you are working with a cool, rather than a hot, engine.

And you'll smile every time you break it out and use it because you know you've become the next level of steely-eyed Vanagon mechanic for whom coolant systems no longer hold any mysteries.

[pic]

You can also use it for pressure bleeding brake systems solo.

[pic]

Hey sanchus, thanks for this reccomendation. I was actually looking at this exact kit since I am a harbor freight loyalist (lol). I was wondering if any of the caps fit the vanagon, since the gowesty pump has a rubber fitting that goes over the blau cap to pressure test... I assume this tests the blau cap at the same time?

It's worth picking up that harbor freight kit over the gowesty pump? Would love your thoughts. Thanks
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

Sounds like leak is in engine bay somewhere but if rear heater is present, check for leaks, coolant smell at rear heater.

If leak is at expansion tank and coolant pools at an area, after tank heat causes some of that fluid to evaporate off, mystery ensues. Wink

x2 on getting an analysis of coolant.

Neil.

coolant fluid level sensor, was on my '88. You can see remnants left after coolant burned off. I don't recall if tank had cracks or seal at sensor or sensor was at fault.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

flapjack wrote:
Hey sanchus, thanks for this reccomendation. I was actually looking at this exact kit since I am a harbor freight loyalist (lol). I was wondering if any of the caps fit the vanagon, since the gowesty pump has a rubber fitting that goes over the blau cap to pressure test... I assume this tests the blau cap at the same time?

It's worth picking up that harbor freight kit over the gowesty pump? Would love your thoughts. Thanks

GoWesty makes fine gear, so either should be fine. It's just that HF is near my commute route, whereas GW is not. This is one of those purchases that I've never regretted and has had great ROI.

I don't know anything about the blau cap test

One of the black caps, perhaps #7, from the HF kit fits the Vanagon.
flapjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
flapjack wrote:

GoWesty makes fine gear, so either should be fine. It's just that HF is near my commute route, whereas GW is not. This is one of those purchases that I've never regretted and has had great ROI.

I don't know anything about the blau cap test

One of the black caps, perhaps #7, from the HF kit fits the Vanagon.

Right on the money. Picked up the HF kit. #7 fits like a glove. I sprayed down the outside of the tank with soap/water so I could hear/see any escaping bubbles / fluid. The culprit? Hairline cracks in the top of the tank... (see crack and bubbles where the flashlight is pointing)... now, I'm currently calculating the risk/reward ratio for spreading the crack with some jb weld... Very Happy

Thanks again everyone for the help / advice. I'm sure this topic and exact problem has been beaten to death on the forum but having step-by-step help and advice has helped a million.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

Thanks for following up to act on and pictorially document the outcome of our guesses.

Perhaps JBWeld will work, but given that the bottle both flexes and is under pressure, I wouldn't trust it at all. This is one of those items that will put you on the roadside in seconds when it goes, so it's worth renewing. There are lots of $10-$35 replacement plastic bottles available. If you are in this for the long game, aluminum is the way to go: https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum+vanagon+overflow+bottle

After a few years, one comes to learn that renewing/upgrading every bit of any Vanagon system is the best way to increase your reliability. Then you realize that also applies to all the other systems: fuel, electrical, drivetrain, engine, etc.

I'm getting there, but it can take awhile. See my spreadsheet below.

The biggest help is to become very skilled using TheSamba's advanced search. I've found info and how-tos on everything I've worked on somewhere in the TheSamba archives, with the exception of one or two things that I subsequently documented.

Finally, if you find the advice and info you are getting here valuable, click that gold star membership link below to throw in a little $$$ help keep all this going.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

Agree! ^^^

If you buy one cheapy plastic tank, get two because you will most likely be needing it sooner rather than later.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

there is not an adhesive that will stick to expanding and contracting polypropylene... the tank material. only emergency temporary fix is to 'weld' the cracks with a stick of polypropylene base material and a torch. but that is folly because if you are showing *any* cracks at all, your tank has failed and needs replacement. new ones are made of poorer material than VW used back in the day and can blow out with a goiter when hot and under pressure. or the threads soften and the cap or level sender blows out.

if you have your van for the long run, cry once and buy the aluminum tank and move on hardening your other systems, like the coolant tower. the reliable operation of the overflow tank is worth it alone. on my recent 4,400 mile trip, i didn't check the pressure tank level once, because i KNEW the overflow tank level was reliable.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

The advice to buy two tanks is good, and maybe two sensors. I was able to JB Weld a damaged nipple on the overflow tank, but there’s no pressure on that.

If your intention is to keep the van for a long time, you might just shoot the wad and get the metal one. I’ve read they can leak, too but cannot say how common that is — or which tank has from time to time.

One thing I do like about the plastic tank is it being the weak point and first to fail in an extreme-pressure situation — instead of hoses or head gaskets.

On the coolant pressure test kit, we recently bought one sight-unseen and there’s like 15-20 pieces. We only need the one attachment, plus one for the master cylinder I’ll likely never use. If having several cars, and/or a garage or space, then it makes more sense to me. For the few times it's needed, it just takes space.

I’ve never bled a master that way, but it does make sense — and is necessary if doing it alone. I presume you need almost no pressure and that too much is dangerous to the reservoir.

Honestly, after buying the kit I miss the stupid-simple of the Go Westy pump — and may buy another if we never go the metal tank route (the pump leaks but lasted a full decade). What I don’t know is if the GW one is only usable on a blue cap.

Hope the tank crack is your only issue until 2037. Wink

— Colin Chapman
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

While I don't think gluing/epoxying the pressure tank is a valid option,, IF I were to attempt such a stunt,, I'd use something like "Mr Sticky's" under-water or vibra-bond epoxy, or at the very least, a plastic focused epoxy, NOT JB Weld.

No epoxy is gonna get you moving again as fast as replacing the tank, after all, you hafta let the epoxy set up for at least a day, even the 5 minute stuff.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

Why the other brands, are they more flexible, or bite better, or?

JB working or not greatly depends on where a crack is, and if it experiences any flex. On the OP’s tank, there’s no flex there and should work long enough to get another tank, if not forever.

— Colin Chapman
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

In my experience JBWeld doesn't adhere to plastic. It needs some 'tooth' but even roughing up the plastic doesn't seem to help much.

As noted, a weld can often work (for awhile). Strips of milk bottle plastic can be used in an emergency, but this isn't an emergency.

OP needs a new tank.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank?? Reply with quote

3 weeks ago 4Gears4Tires wrote:
Everyone should replace their coolant tank with a metal tank.

Wink
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help! BOILING Coolant Expansion Tank? + leak [UN-SOLVEDish] Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
OP needs a new tank.

Yes, and plural if staying with plastic. Very Happy

Shame one’s not enough with repros, our plastic original recently turned 40!
(and looked great with the cone party cap)

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: