Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

People who don't weld
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Ever notice people who don't weld will go to extraordinary lengths to mend things without resorting to welding?

Ever notice people who own mig welders sometimes do bodywork like Jeffrey Dahmer? Rolling Eyes

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Me - I'd like to learn how to weld. But I wouldn't know where to start with MIG, TIG, wire feed, etc. I know one would need to practice. But I think welding would be great for simple jobs.

Can anyone provide any guidance, thanks !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Ever notice people who don't weld will go to extraordinary lengths to mend things without resorting to welding?

Ever notice people who own mig welders sometimes do bodywork like Jeffrey Dahmer? Rolling Eyes .

Ever see the back of a twenty dollar bill Laughing

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

I could put down a decent bead in my day, but when I downsized to LI I gave my stuff to some young guys starting out who can make money with it.

About a decade agp, coming back from a trip to VietNam, Ukraine - after seeing welding there, I wanted to throw my stuff into the lake with the EZOuts and cheap hose clamps

I gave up welding for judging - hopefully wont be called out for it.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I could put down a decent bead in my day, but when I downsized to LI I gave my stuff to some young guys starting out who can make money with it.

About a decade agp, coming back from a trip to VietNam, Ukraine - after seeing welding there, I wanted to throw my stuff into the lake with the EZOuts and cheap hose clamps

I gave up welding for judging - hopefully wont be called out for it.

Laughing I love this guy. And I actually know him. A real good dude.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

As others have said, my welding hasn't improved much but my grinding skills have become pretty damn good.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Me - I'd like to learn how to weld. But I wouldn't know where to start with MIG, TIG, wire feed, etc. I know one would need to practice. But I think welding would be great for simple jobs.

Can anyone provide any guidance, thanks !

Try a "wire feed" mig welder first. It's pretty much point and shoot. Your welds won't be as pretty as tig but you will soon be able to stick just about anything together.

Couple tips:

I bought one of the first Lincoln SP100 mig welders when they came out decades ago. Best purchase I ever made. I have since welded a bead around the equator something like eight times.

My old Lincoln needs a new gun assembly, now.

I can't say enough for Lincoln welders. Mine is now an old school welder with its heavy copper wound transformer. The new ones use new fangled high frequency circuits instead of transformers. They're a lot lighter.

Still...

If you see an old SP100 at an affordable price, grab it! $200 is a good deal although the cheap ones are often beat to shit.

THE go- to setting is G 6.

If the gun assembly has been beat, has crap in the liner or a kinked liner... there is no way it will feed properly and no way it will weld properly.

Don't cheap out and use flux core. The resulting welds are harder than the hinges of hell. Bear in mind mig stands for "metal, inert gas" which is not the same process without the inert gas.

The welding wire is as important as the welder itself. I bought a big roll of L-Tec Easy Grind decades ago. While I have a little bit left it's slightly rusty. Best get another roll. Good old L-Tec is now ESAB Easy Grind. It will be the second best investment you ever made.

There seems to be a proliferation of Lincoln Weld Pak 100s out there. Near as I can tell they're stripped down SP100s.

They will have to pry my SP100 out of my cold dead hands when I die. Come to think of it I should leave specific instructions for it in my will.

Last edited by Dusty1 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:

Ever notice people who own mig welders sometimes do bodywork like Jeffrey Dahmer? Rolling Eyes

My welds may suck, but they hold together better than JBWeld & rivets.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:

My welds may suck, but they hold together better than JBWeld & rivets.

We ought to put together The JB Weld Hall of Shame.

Or maybe a museum dedicated to the world's most wonderful sculpture medium. I'm thinkin' a Degas made entire of Bondo.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

I appreciate good craftsmanship. Show us your handy work Dusty1.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

My pet peeve and biggest deal breaker:

"Send pictures."

Come on over. You can take all the pictures you want.

Been at this long enough we didn't have the means to expediently send pics. Horse trading is getting so weird lately I can't even pry an address or a phone number out of some sellers.

Hell, I started out rotary dial on a party line. There were years at the farm we didn't even have a phone.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Best thing I ever did when I was a young man in my early 20's was take an evening class in welding at the local Vo-Tech.

The secret to welding is learning about setting up the machine voltages & amperages and which filler rod to use.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Best thing I ever did when I was a young man in my early 20's was take an evening class in welding at the local Vo-Tech.

The secret to welding is learning about setting up the machine voltages & amperages and which filler rod to use.

Pardon me, Dave I'm a wise- ass. I might have been born that way, I don't know.

Good advice.

The secret to welding is to never let the barber trim my eyebows. Think I'm joking? That keeps any sparks that make it over the top of the helmet from getting into my eyes. Very Happy

Don't wear polyester, either. Sounds like another joke until you find out it isn't.

It might be 1/3 choosing the correct process and filler, 1/3 choosing the correct settings, 1/3 technique. For example I haven't stick welded anything for a while. Too much stick might mess up my mig and tig. For example I figure a big part of mig technique is not welding the tip to the workpiece all day long.

Last edited by Dusty1 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

I suggest finding a used Hobart Handler 135/140 (120v) mig welder. Solid, simple, and reliable units. They have four fixed positions for the voltage setting and fully adjustable wire speed. There's a guide under the lid that will give base settings based on your metal thickness, wire size and sheilding gas. Not perfect, but much easier to learn on than fully adjustable units and will weld most anything you want; 22 gauge sheet metal to 1/4" plate.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Used to be able to lay down a decent bead but I shake too much now. Still make things stick though...
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

JB weld is amazing. But, it’s always weird to something bonded or attempted with some other goop of unknown origin. Or JB weld, epoxy or Bo do that looks like a pine cone.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

My pet peeve and biggest deal breaker:

"Send pictures."

Come on over. You can take all the pictures you want.

Been at this long enough we didn't have the means to expediently send pics. Horse trading is getting so weird lately I can't even pry an address or a phone number out of some sellers.

Hell, I started out rotary dial on a party line. There were years at the farm we didn't even have a phone.

You had it easy------I had to walk 5 miles to school, and it was uphill both ways. And snow. Imma tellin' you it was up to my navel----in the summer. Evil or Very Mad
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Here’s some nice work by a guy 1/3 my age. He was 1/4 my age when JP he started … Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10201378#10201378
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Learning how to mig weld is easy. Learning how to master it and be a welder takes a lot of practice. Most important learn how to set up your machine.

And remember: bondo and paint make it what it ain't. Works on women to.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: People who don't weld Reply with quote

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: