Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Type 3 wiring diagram
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: 72 Type 3 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Hi Folks, does anyone have or know where I can find an individual/single wiring diagram for the starter system and one for the charging system suitable for my 72 fastback ?

Cheers
Don
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Trekker182 wrote:
Hi Folks, does anyone have or know where I can find an individual/single wiring diagram for the starter system and one for the charging system suitable for my 72 fastback ?

Cheers
Don

Honestly I don't know if there is just a partial wiring diagram posted anywhere. You could look in the wiring diagrams posted under the "technical tab" (upper right of the page). Keep in mind it defaults to type 2, so so'll have to click on type 3 to bring up those wiring diagrams. Just so you know, most of the wiring in the type 3 from 68 thru 71 is mostly the same as the 73. Where it differs is the 72 & 73 got a "computer diagnostic" system that works only at the dealership of old, and the cars came with extra wires just for it. Tram could explain it better than I can, as I don't have any type 3s with that system still in it or that had it. Sorry that's the best I can do.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Trekker182 wrote:

Cheers
Don

Honestly I don't know if there is just a partial wiring diagram posted anywhere. You could look in the wiring diagrams posted under the "technical tab" (upper right of the page). Keep in mind it defaults to type 2, so so'll have to click on type 3 to bring up those wiring diagrams. Just so you know, most of the wiring in the type 3 from 68 thru 71 is mostly the same as the 73. Where it differs is the 72 & 73 got a "computer diagnostic" system that works only at the dealership of old, and the cars came with extra wires just for it. Tram could explain it better than I can, as I don't have any type 3s with that system still in it or that had it. Sorry that's the best I can do.

Thanks for that. My fastback has the diagnostic socket with all the extra 52 year old wires and many of them don't seem to match the wiring diagram.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Type 3 wiring diagram Reply with quote

Trekker182 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Trekker182 wrote:

Cheers
Don

Thanks for that. My fastback has the diagnostic socket with all the extra 52 year old wires and many of them don't seem to match the wiring diagram.

If you have or can get a Brown Bentley manual (for North American models) I believe the extra wires are located in it (in it's own section). It's partly called out in the wiring diagrams with a circle around a number with it called out. Most of those wires go back to that socket plug in the engine bay.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: