Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro front cv axle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveM2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

Just started digging into a Vanagon syncro have run into an issue. I ordered some cv joints to start rebuilding the front end and have ran into a wall. The cv shafts have a different spline pattern than what the Bentley is calling for. Was hoping someone might be able to identify this so I can order the correct parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The outer cv didn’t have the usual clip and the inners had proper snaps rings that were much thinner than the expected syncro clips.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

That's some Chinese garbage, sold prolly as a whole shaft replacement, but when you take them apart, nothing is compatible.
The clip shouldn't be like that, neither should the CV joint be.

I've had the exact same issue on a cheap whole shaft for an Audi 5000....

Straight to the recycling bin...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
DaveM2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

That’s what I thought. Time to order new parts. Best answer I could find is they are 944 25 spline but they are definitely not quality. Thanks for the help
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

VW and Audi early 80 sedans went to an inner clip arrangement like you picture. They worked fine and were actually quicker to service as long as you reused the clip. The joint and shaft of course were a pair. Yours appear to match. As long as the outer stub is machined correctly and overall length is correct, fully greased they could work if the van is down.

If you have the original shafts, best would be to buy just new CVs and install them on your original shafts. Hopefully you still have them. I’ve had terrible luck with reman axles for anything.
DaveM2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

I dug through the stack of paperwork that I received with the van and it’s been riddled with cv replacements. The outer seems to be in great shape. Both outers were failing and I went to install the new Loebro joints to be met with this. I couldn’t find a market equivalent of the cvs. Went ahead and bought new shafts and joints to get back on the road. I may keep these around as a backup in case I end up finding the correct replacement.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

Same experience reading through the old paperwork...rather depressing to find repair invoices for CV joints from 1990, yes? On my own watch I've spent thousands on CV's and axles. The last time I had a mechanic do the fronts with whatever they sourced. They lasted a few weeks before making noise and I sourced better ones, at my expense, from Buslab. It's just part of the deal.

My conclusion is that there's an obvious design flaw and no real solution. These are maintenance items that last a couple years. Just keep replacing, like spark plug wires.
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

My 1986 and 1987 Syncro t3s still have the original front outer and inner CV joints. I think that Lobro/GKN outer joints are NLA now. You can still get complete front axles from GKN. They come with rubber outer boots now, not the original style soft plastic ones. The boot kits are still available in GKN. I have gotten black plastic and rubber before. If you keep grease in them and intact boots on them they will last.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

My front CVs have lasted me over 100,000km. I've cleaned and repacked them twice and they are going great. Now I have a syncro 16 with the front locker so the outer joints are larger (and crazy expensive). Something is definitely wrong since you've had so many die on you.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

The question I have (same as OP) is why were they going bad in 1990? That was the golden age of OEM parts, too.
DaveM2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

I appreciate all the help. As this vehicle has been having cv problems in the front every couple of years I went ahead and bought the complete front axle. I’ll end up rebuilding that and installing. I’ll make sure to keep up on boot health and grease as well. What future plans do you all have? I seriously considered the 930 Porsche axles but I’m not ready to invest that kind of dough until I get this engine squared up. I also have no plans on lifting this vehicle or installing an engine with higher hp so it might be overkill.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

If you buy from FCPEuro they warrant all their parts for life. Even brake pads and oil.....

If you are burning through them at least you only have to buy once.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-cv-axle-shaft-vanagon-251407271j

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

I am 96% sure I have chinese front axles. One of them lasted me a whopping 3 miles. I ordered another set and now I have a spare. I think they've been going strong 10k+ miles now. The splines/cv cages are definitely not compatible with OEM, but that does not matter as long as you use the entire axle. They bolt in just fine. Make sure you have the 3 or 5 mm front cv spacer, I was missing mine on both sides.

My rears are GKN from FCPeuro. They're heavy and they're expensive, but I have no worries about their quality.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front cv axle Reply with quote

Funny, I have been around VW, Audi, Porsche CV joints most of my life. That last word I would use to describe them is unreliable. No doubt a torn boot needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Raising or lowering ride height, could aftect CV angles and so used joints may not appreciate the new operating angles. But that aside a properly greased CV joint with a good boot should give years of troublefree miles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: