Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck king pin
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Stuck king pin Reply with quote

Got mah trusty 12-ton floor press. On one side it came out after an ungodly amount of persuasion, the other seems it likes it there and refuses to move. I figured I would ask before just letting the press go at it full force.

These came out of a sandrail I'm redoing. Chances are they have never been serviced. The links themselves were extremely worn with pretty much oval holes.

On a related note, is there a fairly priced 18mm reamer out there suitable for this job? For what I recall the correct reamer has the cutting are towards the middle of the reamer so it can align itself between the top and bottom. I see inexpensive 18mm reamers but the cutters are at the end. I was planning on taking these to the shop to have them reamed but if I can find a reamer close enough to what that would cost me...
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck king pin Reply with quote

An automotive machine shop with a wrist pin hone/rod machine should be able to ream them at minimal cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck king pin Reply with quote

Here in Alaska everything seems to be more expensive so I'm hoping it is. Meaning it will give me an excuse to buy yet another tool Laughing

It finally came out. What was funny is that it took about 4 tries: It would CA-CLUNK! loudly, move a quarter inch or so, and get stuck again. Oh the joys of working with ancient neglected stuff Very Happy
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck king pin Reply with quote

Ive had to boil the tough ones in a pot of hot oil. I think the manual has the recommended temp. Evenly expanding the carrier and letting oil get into the pin really helps in removal.

Carcraft had a a cheap reamer for this, I picked up some core spindles/carriers and rebuilt and sold them to pay for the reamer plus a bit extra

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1797191
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck king pin Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Ive had to boil the tough ones in a pot of hot oil. I think the manual has the recommended temp. Evenly expanding the carrier and letting oil get into the pin really helps in removal.

Carcraft had a a cheap reamer for this, I picked up some core spindles/carriers and rebuilt and sold them to pay for the reamer plus a bit extra

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1797191

Yes, heat the spindle, and let the heat draw some oil in.
And you need a dedicated reamer that can pilot off the other king pin bushing. If you mess it up then you did all the work for nothing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: