Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake line rubber grommets
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swmoboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: brake line rubber grommets Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestions how to install the rubber grommets on a 64 bus. I do not recall where I bought the grommets but the rubber seems to be too firm to want to install. I've destroyed a couple trying to force them in. I've tried lubrication with no luck. Interesting the ones I have the groove that would fit in the frame does not seem to be very wide. The rubber is also very firm. Any suggestions where to purchase better grommets and hints to install are appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line rubber grommets Reply with quote

Funny I just purchased some myself as I am doing brakes on the rear and it seemed odd where the brake lines go through the metal holes, mine had no rubber grommets it seemed weird so I found grommets to be used after reading up about it.

Past times I did grommets I used a small blade screw driver to help push them into place after starting it on none edge by hand so will be reading any posts made here to offer me tips as well.

The grommets I purchased have a split on them and they seem bendable so though starting one corner and then use a small flat blade to tuck them in would work?

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: brake line rubber grommets Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
Funny I just purchased some myself as I am doing brakes on the rear and it seemed odd where the brake lines go through the metal holes, mine had no rubber grommets it seemed weird so I found grommets to be used after reading up about it.

Past times I did grommets I used a small blade screw driver to help push them into place after starting it on none edge by hand so will be reading any posts made here to offer me tips as well.

The grommets I purchased have a split on them and they seem bendable so though starting one corner and then use a small flat blade to tuck them in would work?

TJ

That's what i do. Works every time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: brake line rubber grommets Reply with quote

i just got the last one on my bug...

those things were miserable. hard to get to. hard to move. easy to tear.

patience it the best thing i can advise. i got mine eventually. i probably tried the last one 20 times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: