Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 513, 514, 515
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Schofeild stuff is good, that one peice with the faux seam works alright.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Blazman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Schofeild stuff is good, that one peice with the faux seam works alright.

Great! I'll order it tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

anyone have the correct location for the Westy roof supports?
i have 6 holes on each side of the steel roof where the PO has tried to screw them down in the past. i'd like to put a couple nutserts in the right spot so it doesn't happen again

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

I can measure a '71 if that helps.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
W1K1 wrote:

I can measure a '71 if that helps.

I'm good, one of the early bay guys sent me a picture.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What is the maximum rim ET in a 15" rim that can be mounted on the Bay?

Or, if there is a link to info, that will be helpful.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can a transporter middle seat be securely bolted in backwards using stock hardware?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Can a transporter middle seat be securely bolted in backwards using stock hardware?

I don't see why not, although there won't be much legroom between it and the back seat.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
TRN9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Where on a bottle of oil does one find the "S" rating?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

On the back label?, it used to be on the top of the can. Confused

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

TRN9 wrote:
Where on a bottle of oil does one find the "S" rating?

It may be on the "starburst" or other round emblem on the bottle or it may be in the ratings given on the back of the bottle.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:

Or, if there is a link to info, that will be helpful.

Thanks

Without using adapters, an ET of between ET42 to ET30 should fit a Late Bay Window Bus with regular sized tires on 5.5" to 6" wide 14, 15, 16, or 17" rims. If the rims are wider than 6" (7" or 8") then you'll have a smaller range maybe ET39 to ET33 ish.

A 6" wide ET42 rim and tire will barely clear the inside of the wheelwell/torsion plate and a 6" wide ET30 rim and tire will barely clear the inside of the fender.

Stock 14" Bus and Vanagon rims are 5.5" wide and ET38 for reference.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

seems like the armrest would get in the way when you try to push it up against the non sliding door, unless you mount it closer to the slider using the spots where a full length would have gone.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
AndyBees wrote:

Or, if there is a link to info, that will be helpful. Thanks

Without using adapters, an ET of between ET42 to ET30 should fit a Late Bay Window Bus with regular sized tires on 5.5" to 6" wide 14, 15, 16, or 17" rims. If the rims are wider than 6" (7" or 8") then you'll have a smaller range maybe ET39 to ET33 ish.

A 6" wide ET42 rim and tire will barely clear the inside of the wheelwell/torsion plate and a 6" wide ET30 rim and tire will barely clear the inside of the fender.

Stock 14" Bus and Vanagon rims are 5.5" wide and ET38 for reference

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I recently had new tires mounted on the OE 14" rims on my 89 Vanagon. Ironically, the edge of the rim is so close to the end edge of the top A-arm that the thick weights used by the shop actually were scrubbing. I had to go with the stick-on weights.

Anyway, was thinking about installing those OE 14" rims & tires on my Bay. But, I also have a set of 15" Vision rims which also have a 38 ET. However, the centers are only slightly over 58mm. They need to be opened up to a smidgen over 66mm.

I'm a bit confused on how the spacer will work. Do they self-center? I've found 5X112 5mm spacers with 66.56mm center hole that are called Hubcentric which I assume means they are self-centering.

Thoughts?
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Shonandb wrote:
AndyBees wrote:

Or, if there is a link to info, that will be helpful. Thanks

Stock 14" Bus and Vanagon rims are 5.5" wide and ET38 for reference

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I recently had new tires mounted on the OE 14" rims on my 89 Vanagon. Ironically, the edge of the rim is so close to the end edge of the top A-arm that the thick weights used by the shop actually were scrubbing. I had to go with the stick-on weights.

Anyway, was thinking about installing those OE 14" rims & tires on my Bay. But, I also have a set of 15" Vision rims which also have a 38 ET. However, the centers are only slightly over 58mm. They need to be opened up to a smidgen over 66mm.

I'm a bit confused on how the spacer will work. Do they self-center? I've found 5X112 5mm spacers with 66.56mm center hole that are called Hubcentric which I assume means they are self-centering.

Thoughts?

The spacer you mentioned is hub centric so it should center itself around the center hub. Put the spacer on and then the wheel and tighten as you normally would. Even if the spacer doesn't center perfectly, you shouldn't notice any vibration. A small strip of thin weather stripping works well around the hub to center the spacer if there is a small gap with the spacer on the hub.

I use an adapter for a non 5x112 set of rims that is bolt hole centric and centers via the bolt holes. It's 5/8" thick and converts from 5x112 to 5x114.3 and allows me to use 6" wide rims from ET47 to ET55.

With your spacers on, your rims with the 58 mm center hole may fit without modifying the center hole as the hubs taper to a smaller diameter towards the axle nut.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Shonandb, thank you very much. The info is helpful and encouraging.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 513, 514, 515
Jump to:
Page 515 of 515

Jump to: