Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sun-bug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

Hello:

I have a 1978 bay window bus with an air cooled 80's Vanagon engine. Out of the blue, I started to get a moderate oil leak. I drained the case and pulled the filter since I thought maybe the filter seal became misaligned or something (oil was running down the filter). In the picture below, the arrow points to a bolt where oil appears to be coming out around. Can you tell me what this is, whether I should just tighten it or replace its seal and then tighten it and whether it is a common issue? The bus is new to me (second season) and I have not fooled with that bolt. I can tell you that this is not a static leak and there is not a single drop when parked and not running. The leak occurs only under operating pressure. Also, when I do install a new filter, do you recommend just hand-tight? Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

The oil pressure switch it located above there and they are a known source of oil leakage.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

I can’t comment on the leak itself but suspect a new washer might solve it.

But, await more specific advice from those who know. (Edit: like him ^^^)

Mostly wanted to relay a tale about your other question. The first car I bought was a 1976 Fiat 131, in late 1979. I bought it with about 39,000 miles, loved it to death, and within days of buying loaded up my then-recent girlfriend (wife now) and a cousin, and properly debuted it by driving to a wonderful, Autumn sports car race in Georgia.

One of our own here — Mark Ward — has raced at this event many times, and certainly at that track, and is sure to smile with the reference should he see this.

Four months later, my girl and I packed up all our backpacking stuff, our 350 LPs and our stereo, and moved 1,050 miles west to Colorado. Our priorities were, Ahem, sound, and the rest was trucked out six weeks later. Forty-some days sleeping on the floor of our first place felt like utter royalty.

About five months on, it was time for its first oil change. I had no tools yet, and took it to a Firestone store. A month later, I properly drifted the Italian through a right-hander, the oil light came on, and the engine sounded like a concrete grinder.

I shut it off, oil was pouring out, and I realized the oil filter had loosened enough to finally shed its last right out with the g-forces of the turn. The oil changer hadn’t tightened the filter, apparently. It took over ten weeks to have the engine rebuilt, during which I serviced my many, new racecar shop and car dealer sign and pinstriping clients out of city buses.

Finally we left the shop with a fresh engine, Firestone had screwed us blind and covered less than half the tab (I’ve known better since), and we drove straight back to the 1980 version of that same race in Georgia.

So No, hand tight is not tight enough. I use a filter wrench, and while you don’t want to crank so tight as to unnecessarily strain or damage threads nor filter, good and snug is the least it gets. I also clean and oil both contacting surfaces whether it needs that or not.

Don’t be Me — nor that oil change expert I could have knocked right on his ass, almost did, and have since wished I had. Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

I only hand tighten. Do what you are comfortable with. Here is a page from a 1982 and 1983 Vanagon owners manual.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

Oil filters tighten with time and heat cycles.
Never tighten with a wrench, I have encountered oil filters on so tight that it was a major messy project to get them off!

Hand tight. Screw it on until the oil filter touches the seating surface and then 1/4 turn more...... maybe 1/2 if you are a worry wart.

Tighten with a wrench? No no no NO! ..... unless you hate yourself and want to punish yourself.

It isn't a bad idea to check the filter and drain plug after running a few miles. Not unlike checking the CV Bolts after a hundred or two miles.

Some oil filter wrenches are DESIGNED to only function counter clockwise.
It is impossible to use them to tighten a filter.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

I don’t hate myself or have a thingie for self-masochism, nor torque it like an idiot, but I do tighten enough that it neither comes off nor destroys anything.

The book agrees with you guys, and I can handle being corrected even if grossly misinterpreted. Laughing

Anyone know how to stop his leak?

— Colin Chapman
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

Take the bolt out. Coat it in sealant. My new favorite is reinsil. Put it back.

Or just ignore it. I leak more than that.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Take the bolt out. Coat it in sealant. My new favorite is reinsil. Put it back.

Or just ignore it. I leak more than that.

And if you can’t find the “reinsil” mentioned above try REINZOSIL

https://www.victorreinz.com/functions/csdownload3....298322367d

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

Thanks for that, the other spelling brought up a funeral home.

Considering the topic, that scared me even more than loose oil filters. Shocked

— Colin Chapman
sun-bug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info on filter tightening.

Wildthings, or anyone, do we actually know what that bolt that appears to have leakage around it is called?

Wildthings, you commented that the oil pressure switch is located near there. I take it that bolt is some other part. Can you help me find the oil pressure switch on an air-cooled vanagon engine? Maybe someone has a pic? I would like to check that while I am working in this area with the crankcase already drained.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

The good news is the area looks pretty clean. A challenge with leaks is finding where it actually starts. It could be that bolt or, as mentioned, it could be higher up.

I give this recommendation a 60% chance of helping. Clean all the oil from the area including above it, dust it with flour, run the motor and see where the seep begins. The flour will be obviously wet at the leak. This may be tough given how crowded the area is.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

Yeah a little bit of casket sealant does the trick.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

You can’t trust six feet of earth, always use casket sealant while you are in there.
Some people call him Maurice...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

Casket sealant sounds like something used on abused dead engines. YMMV.

Also consider using an oil dye to follow a mysterious leak. Many techniques on YouTube and other internet automotive websites, including The Samba.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
You can’t trust six feet of earth, always use casket sealant while you are in there.

“This sort of smart ass really chaps my hide,” he says to the mirror, half-expecting to hear a reply in a different voice. Wink

No offense meant Steve, I dis’ myself in same cases. Wink

— Colin Chapman
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

sun-bug74 wrote:
Thanks for all of the info on filter tightening.

Wildthings, or anyone, do we actually know what that bolt that appears to have leakage around it is called?

Wildthings, you commented that the oil pressure switch is located near there. I take it that bolt is some other part. Can you help me find the oil pressure switch on an air-cooled vanagon engine? Maybe someone has a pic? I would like to check that while I am working in this area with the crankcase already drained.

The oil pressure switch sits just forward of the distributor, down in a hole in the cooling tin. There should be a rubber boot that closes the hole off, so all you might be able to see initially is the wire running to it. They only leak while the engine is running and since the oil gets in the cooling air flow it tends to end up on the rear sheet metal and bumper.
sun-bug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

Thanks folks. Will be away for a bit but will report back when I find it.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can You Tell Me What is Leaking Here? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Also consider using an oil dye to follow a mysterious leak. Many techniques on YouTube and other internet automotive websites, including The Samba.

An oil dye that glows in the dark or with UV, etc. light sounds like a modern winner. Although it may be more fun to wait for a full moon and ask the crickets.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: