Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Berg 5 Speed Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Rancho gear and Fulcrums should arrive today. I should get my box off to my builder next week.

I did pull off the nose cone, but that's as far as I'll go. I'm not a Engine or Tranny builder.

Here's a couple of pics (fuzzy, sorry) of the .82 screaming 5th. Screams under load, quiet no load. Until the gears are removed, not sure there's anything to be seen. I can see shinny areas where the gears mesh.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

The other issue I'm running into is hearing/feeling the axles/fulcrums after driving anything over 70mph for 15+ minutes. It's like there isn't enough oil getting to them?

Yes, the trans oil was filled properly.

Right side never made noise, Left side did. Last freeway drive I pulled off and was freaked out a little when I could hear the left side making noise. Quieted right down once off the freeway. Way home, kept under 65mph and it was fine/quiet.

Check out the fulcrums though, yikes. Right side had a .005" gap between axle and fulcrum. Left was .010", maybe too much gap?

Super Diff has oil mod holes.

Thoughts anyone? Going to put all this back together and would love to drive 75+ mph.

-Dan

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Your side covers need to be modified to allow oil to go around the diff to the axle side. Good thing you posted those pics while you have it apart so you can fix the side covers.
Every trans with a superdiff needs this modification done.

Here's what VW did for cars that had a limited slip diff:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Those side cover mods shown by Bruce are necessary for swingaxle LSDs and TBDs, as well. Regarding the SD body itself, I'd go the extra mile as shown by Ray Vallero (RIP). https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622360
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Wow, thanks guys! I'll pull the side covers off and check for the mod. I have a scope camera, but don't think I could bend it up enough to see if the mod has been done or not. My builder did the oil holes on the SD I know for sure, but don't know if anyone modified the side covers.

-Dan
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

The modifications are visible from the outside. Since you already have the axle tubes off, you should be able to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Popped a cover off just to be certain. No mod. Sure explains things.

Well, feel like I've got a plan at least.

Not 5spd specific, but figure anyone building a Berg5 swing will probably lave either a SD or LSD.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Don't want to turn this into a build thread, but thought this is a good picture of 5th gear removed and nose cone off.

New GT .82 going on in place of the unknown (no markings) .82 gear set that really screamed under load. Since everything checked out, we're hoping/assuming it was a miss-matched set.

Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Here's one that can go totally sideways...

What oil are you using in yours?

I'm planning on Swepco 201.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Here's one that can go totally sideways...

What oil are you using in yours?

I'm planning on Swepco 201.

Currently use Valvoline GL-5, GL-4 75-90W non-synthetic. I buy quarts, believe the part number is 820.

I used 201 years back in some 901 gear boxes and liked it. Thought about using it in the Berg5. Heard from some the only advantage of 201 these days is it's blue.

Confused

Dan
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Since I pulled the Berg5 out again, wanted to show another minor mod I had to make to the mid mount.

Berg5's require the mid-mount be used. I'm on a 1966 frame so this mod may/may not apply to other year frames. The mid mount didn't touch, but it was very close to the Right frame horn. I didn't notice until after everything was installed and used a sawsall to cut a small notch out. Hard contact of drivetrain to frame or body transfers a lot of noise and this was a definite possible contact point.

Picture shows I cleaned up the cut a little and were it was cut. The mid mount metal is so thick, seriously doubt this compromises any structural function of the mount:

Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

I bought Penngrade 1 GL-4. for my Berg5 . Trans builder gave his approval.

https://penngrade1.com/products/gear-lubricants/penngrade-1-classic-gl-4-gear-oil-sae-80w-90/

Olli
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Since I pulled the Berg5 out again, wanted to show another minor mod I had to make to the mid mount.

Berg5's require the mid-mount be used. I'm on a 1966 frame so this mod may/may not apply to other year frames. The mid mount didn't touch, but it was very close to the Right frame horn. I didn't notice until after everything was installed and used a sawsall to cut a small notch out. Hard contact of drivetrain to frame or body transfers a lot of noise and this was a definite possible contact point.

Picture shows I cleaned up the cut a little and were it was cut. The mid mount metal is so thick, seriously doubt this compromises any structural function of the mount:

I'm curious how you mount these to the studs. Do you sandwich it between 2 nuts? Seems like if you didn't, you'd have a mess if you had to remove it.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

You're right Brent. If you remove the mid mount, you've got a big leak that you'll never be able to seal. That's why I require the mid mount when I do the initial build. Then it's on the trans when it's picked up.

I've never heard of anyone putting nuts on the gear carrier then adding the mid mount. The studs aren't long enough to take an extra nut.
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
You're right Brent. If you remove the mid mount, you've got a big leak that you'll never be able to seal. That's why I require the mid mount when I do the initial build. Then it's on the trans when it's picked up.

I've never heard of anyone putting nuts on the gear carrier then adding the mid mount. The studs aren't long enough to take an extra nut.

Thanks. I was hoping I could add it later with longer studs... Looks like I'll be opening up the wallet again.

I do like the one you made, but don't have the time, so I'll buy the 'boat anchor' from Berg.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
. I was hoping I could add it later with longer studs... Looks like I'll be opening up the wallet again.

I do like the one you made, but don't have the time, so I'll buy the 'boat anchor' from Berg.

The Berg mid mount's plate is either 5/16 or 3/8" thick. It is that thick so that if you replace the 4 bottom short studs with longer upper studs, it all works out. Structurally, you don't need the plate to be that thick. If it was 1/8", it would never break. I made mine from ¼" Al.

My car is already really heavy, so when I did the 5 speed, I knew I didn't want to add to it by using the Berg heavyweight mount. I believe it's around 12lbs with the rubber bumpers. Mine is under 3 lbs. If I was to do it again, I know how to make it lighter. Plus, I think I saved a couple hundred by not buying the Berg mount.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

I wouldn't install a Berg 5spd without the mid mount. Berg's blue bible states it's a requirement. When I get my Berg5 back, I'll snap a pic of the mid mount on the trans.

Fitting the Berg5 to the Bug took some time. The mod's in the blue bible can't be ignored.

-Dan
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Here's a good shot of the mid mount on the trans. Just 4 studs need to be about a 1/4" longer:

Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

"Rancho" hybrid fine tooth .82 installed and much quieter than the generic .82 I was running. You'll be very happy with it.

-Dan
Failer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

I know from this thread that the B5 conversion lengthens the nosecone a bit and requires some clearancing of the body. Is that the only obstacle to it being a straight bolt-in thing? Does the nose cone keep the mount and the length of the gear selector the same? I mean, do the shift coupler or rod need to be moved or modified as well?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: