Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time capsule Sage Green, Pastel White, '76 Standard
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule Sage Green, Pastel White, '76 Standard Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
I'm so envious of you PNW guys. I have no idea what it is about the PNW, but you guys leave cars in the back yard, and they grow 2" of moss, but never rust.

Here in Ohio, my Bus sat outside for 5-10 years in similar conditions, grew no moss, but rusted like crazy. Just from siting.

All jokes aside, this is my absolute favorite paint scheme of bay, and I will be enjoying this thread a lot. Good luck, I think you've got a great starting point.

Same here n PA. I see cars parked for 5 years on the grass and the undercarriage is garbage. The worst are brake lines and any fastener. We even had in a 4Runner that was a 2010. Old guy died and the kids got it. They brought it in just for a check over and inspection as they were going to let some other family member use it. We told them to just go trade it in as the bottom side was a disaster when it came to rust. Let it be someone elses problem. They did and got something else. Yet the upside looked great.
Bad Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule Sage Green, Pastel White, '76 Standard Reply with quote

Been a while since I've posted anything progress wise on this Bus. Good reason for that, as there really hasn't been much of any progress. I'm hopeful that will change here soon.

So unfortunately when I got this vehicle, I didn't get the title right away. My buddy told me he knew where it was, he just had to dig it out. Well, it turns out it wasn't where he thought it was. On top of that, he had never transferred it into his name. As time went by, the title had yet to show itself. Obviously, not having a clear title to the vehicle slowed progress to a standstill. Why put work into something if you don't even legally own it.

It was really looking like I was going to have to go the long route to get the title. In this state there are a few ways. Do a records request from the Department of Licensing through the Freedom of Information Act, to get the name and address of the last registered owner. Then attempt to contact him in hopes he's still there, or even alive. Then hope he's willing to sign the car over with a notarized declaration of lost title and release of interest. Or get an appointment to tow the car to the State Patrol inspection station in the next country. Have them inspect it and hope it passes so that they will give you a temporary title. Then they try to contact the last registered owner. If there is no response in 3 years, I could then get an actual title.

I was just getting the ball rolling on trying to get contact info for the last registered owner when the title was finally found. I went and picked it up the next day. Now I actually have the title for the Bus!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Time capsule Sage Green, Pastel White, '76 Standard Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you. I can’t believe no one has cued the Bears for you, but we will fix that soon.

Laughing
Bad Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule Sage Green, Pastel White, '76 Standard Reply with quote

Ok an actual work update.

When I got the Bus, most of the doors were stuck shut. I managed to get them all open a while ago, but that was far from the end of the issues with them.

The last day or so I've been concentrated on getting the drivers door operational. I had managed to get it open, but from there, it refused to latch shut again. On top of that, the drivers side window has been stuck partly open for the last 20 years, I'm guessing.

I finally got around to opening it up to see what the situation is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As far as the window goes, I found that the spot welds on the metal bracket that attaches the window to the regulator had faild.

I looked into taking the window out and getting the part re welded. However I'm not in a good position right now to tear the door down that far. I'm not exactly proud of my solution, but I consider it a temporary fix until I can get back in there and do a full door and seal rebuild. I mixed up some JB weld, and glued it back together. At least for now it works, and I was able to open and close the window finally. Again, not really proud of that "fix."

On the latching end, I had a bit more success. I pulled out the latch and really couldn't see anything broken, so I dumped it in the solvent tank to soak.

After a good cleaning, I was able to get things moving again. It's still pretty corroded, but seems to work fine.

I greased up the moving bits and re installed. It works like butter now.

So I put back the original vapor barrier.

Cleaned up the door panel with 409. Right half is clean in this photo, left is not.

Then replaced the panel.

This panel is a bit wavy, but still looks pretty dang good considering that it's original, and it sat outside in Washington with the window partly open for 10 or so years.

I still need to look around for a replacement window winder. I'm sure the other one broke due to people trying to force the window.

More updates coming.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Time capsule Sage Green, Pastel White, '76 Standard Reply with quote

Good progress brother! That OEM grease just goes solid over time, I had to do the same thing with most of my latches as well.

Before the time of ultrasonic cleaners, I used an old crock pot on high setting with some degreaser and it worked really well.

Try to save those door panels, those are the deluxe with the air vents and ductwork so they are more rare and harder to find. A little glue and some heat and you could get them back into proper shape I would bet.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Bad Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Time capsule Sage Green, Pastel White, '76 Standard Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
Good progress brother! That OEM grease just goes solid over time, I had to do the same thing with most of my latches as well.

Before the time of ultrasonic cleaners, I used an old crock pot on high setting with some degreaser and it worked really well.

Try to save those door panels, those are the deluxe with the air vents and ductwork so they are more rare and harder to find. A little glue and some heat and you could get them back into proper shape I would bet.

The door panels are in pretty spectacular condition. There's really no reason to replace them. The few little issues there are should be easy to fix. Keeping them from getting worse, was the main reason I did the window as I did. The reason I put it back was to keep it safe. My shops a wreck, and it's better to have these safely installed on the bus, than to have panels kicking around the shop where they can easily get damaged and warped.

The passenger side panel is in even better shape. Even though the door latch on that side could probably benefit from the same treatment, it works right now, so I want to save wear and tear on the panel from unnecessarily pulling it off and on.

I'm still wrestling with the fact that I don't know if I'm keeping this Bus. Life right now is indicating that I probably won't. To that end, I'm trying to take the less is more approach to getting it cleaned up.
Bad Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Time capsule Sage Green, Pastel White, '76 Standard Reply with quote

A little more progress recently.

I spent the day scrubbing the heck out of the roof. It's amazing how difficult it can be to clean something that hasn't been washed in probably two decades. No photos of that yet, maybe tomorrow.

I'm also moving forward with the "get doors and windows to open and close," project. The last major obstacle now, is the slider.

The cable is frozen, and pretty badly rusted. I started seriously looking into getting a replacement a few days ago. Today I pulled the rear latch to see what I'm dealing with.

Before I took it apart and put it in the solvent tank.

I thought the part number on the foam for the spring was pretty awesome. This will all go back as found.

My problem cable. I will save the foam and replace it as found.

Outer guide is rusted through in this spot. The shielding is now two pieces.

This is actually where I'm frozen up. The front end.

I ended up dumping the cable and the latch in the solvent tank. I'll let them soak overnight. Maybe the cable will break free? If it does, I may lube it up. If it works, I may run it.

However im still looking at replacements until then. I found some on ebay. Guy says in his ads that the cable for up to '73 is 83." '74 and up is 39.5" among other differences.

My cable looks like the shorter version, and measured out to 38." I'm doubtful that it's ever been changed.

Anyone have advice on this before I buy one?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: