Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Berg 5 Speed Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Failer wrote:
I mean, do the shift coupler or rod need to be moved or modified as well?

No, no mod needed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Failer wrote:

No, no mod needed.

That all depends on your application. I have a 58 Ghia with a Berg 5 Speed with a Dave Folts early nose cone so it slides right into the car in stock location. For some reason, my hockey stick had to be lengthened 8mm or 5/16". When I say lengthened, I mean the grub screw hole had to be redrilled 5/16" forward. Dave just cut the end off the hocky stick, tig welded it on the other end and redrilled the hockey stick. You just need to make sure the socket end of the shift rod is in the center of the hole for the shifter and go from there. You can use an adjustable shift rod too. The newer your car is the easier it is to fit a 5 speed. Gene only cared if they slipped into a 67 sedan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Failer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn & Mikey. So it's just...
clearance the body under the luggage area, and between the frame horns around the front, and have the supports for the mid mount welded in?
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

VeloMikey wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Failer wrote:

No, no mod needed.

That all depends on your application. I have a 58 Ghia with a Berg 5 Speed with a Dave Folts early nose cone so it slides right into the car in stock location. For some reason, my hockey stick had to be lengthened 8mm or 5/16". When I say lengthened, I mean the grub screw hole had to be redrilled 5/16" forward. Dave just cut the end off the hocky stick, tig welded it on the other end and redrilled the hockey stick. You just need to make sure the socket end of the shift rod is in the center of the hole for the shifter and go from there. You can use an adjustable shift rod too. The newer your car is the easier it is to fit a 5 speed. Gene only cared if they slipped into a 67 sedan.

I like your trans breather setup. Seems every old VW trans I've had my hands on has a plugged vent port and telltale leaks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Since this is seems all inclusive thread on the B5, I'll submit a note on case differences. The Rhino and early cases use a smaller, and subjectively inferior, pinion bearing. Which is why I opted for the later case that uses the beefier late pinion bearing. Real world experience with a smaller bearing, IDK.

Just thought I'd throw it into the mix.

This is something I've heard as well. However, if you are going to build a swing axle, you don't have the option of using a later, big pinion bearing case, because those cases have one open side on the ring side. The other side is closed and ribbed (also adding to the strength) and are made/machined for IRS. So, in the case of a swing axle it seems to me the best choice is a Rhino case.
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

croSSeduP wrote:
Brent wrote:
Since this is seems all inclusive thread on the B5, I'll submit a note on case differences. The Rhino and early cases use a smaller, and subjectively inferior, pinion bearing. Which is why I opted for the later case that uses the beefier late pinion bearing. Real world experience with a smaller bearing, IDK.

This is something I've heard as well. However, if you are going to build a swing axle, you don't have the option of using a later, big pinion bearing case, because those cases have one open side on the ring side. The other side is closed and ribbed (also adding to the strength) and are made/machined for IRS. So, in the case of a swing axle it seems to me the best choice is a Rhino case.

That's a good point, I was only thinking IRS.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
croSSeduP wrote:
Brent wrote:

Unless you use a Rhino case like I did. - Dan
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Brent wrote:
croSSeduP wrote:
Brent wrote:

Unless you use a Rhino case like I did. - Dan

That was my point. You can use a Rhino case for IRS or S/A, but that case has the early pinion bearing. The only IRS cases that use the later/bigger pinion bearing are all used.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Berg 5 Speed Thread Reply with quote

IIRC.. Some of the early big pinion cases were dual-side-cover?
Think
I could be wrong.

And, the early DSC cases aren’t as strong as a rhino otherwise….

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: