Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Humvee 3-point seatbelts
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Humvee 3-point seatbelts Reply with quote

I read the threads from 2017 where these were a low cost recommendation for ghias.

Being a slouch reader, I mistakenly bought these listed as REAR and the company doesn't seem to have any listed as FRONT in stock. Before I return them I'm wondering if they could work for front seats, as they don't look a lot different from other offbrand similar front belt rigging?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Humvee 3-point seatbelts Reply with quote

If they are long enough, just make yourself an L shaped bracket and mount them!
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Humvee 3-point seatbelts Reply with quote

I run those in the front seats of my Ghia, they will work.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Humvee 3-point seatbelts Reply with quote

toddb_67 wrote:
I run those in the front seats of my Ghia, they will work.

I'm not very familiar with retractable seatbelts and this may belong in the dumb question area:

For some reason, on both units, I can't pull any belting out of the part they roll up in. Is there some hidden release? I can pull out about an inch and then it locks. And I'm pulling slowly.

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Humvee 3-point seatbelts Reply with quote

In the photo you hold the belt in horizontal position. You need to hold the belt in perfect vertical position, like installed in the car to work properly. That is just in case of accident and your car roll over - you'll still be firmly held to the seat - hence the need of an L shaped bracket.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Humvee 3-point seatbelts Reply with quote

Disc wrote:
In the photo you hold the belt in horizontal position. You need to hold the belt in perfect vertical position, like installed in the car to work properly. That is just in case of accident and your car roll over - you'll still be firmly held to the seat - hence the need of an L shaped bracket.

I agree. To test the mechanism, you could clamp it so that it sits vertically in the vise (using that part under your index finger in the photo) and then pull on the belt.

Most retractible seat belts won't function unless the unit is stable and in the correct vertical position. Hence the vise trick.

Last edited by kiwighia68 on Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Humvee 3-point seatbelts Reply with quote

Ah! Thank you so much. Samba folks save me yet again. I'll keep these and see if I can make them work for the front seats, using L brackets I ordered from cip1.com.

mg50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Humvee 3-point seatbelts Reply with quote

I was able to mount these in a Ghia but mounted the reel/belt holder up on the back side shelf which places it a little high across the lap, and the location of the chest strap bolt sits a little low below the window; requiring some fiddling to get it in place and to retract. If I mounted the reel lower it would block access to the back seat. Soooooo. . . will live with it for now. But who needs backseat access for these cars so maybe I'll lower the reel. or maybe consider 3 point non-retractables in the future.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: