Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Install with Perko - Aux. Battery+Auxiliary Battery
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As aeromech said, you want to keep the thick cables to the switch in the engine bay as short as possible. Two quick reasons for this are that these cables are not fused so you want to minmize the chance of them shorting against bodywork somewhere. Also, having the switch in a locked engine bay is a handy security feature should you need it.

I put my fusebox for the aux battery up front behind the kick panel, fed by a single thickish (can't remember exact gauge) wire that has a big (35A) fuse near the aux battery, one of those gold plated big-stereo jobs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At the aux battery end you can see the fuse for the wire that feeds the second fuse box, behind that is the isolator relay that switches on and off depending on whether the engines running or not. on the battery positive terminal there is 'key' operated switch that I can use to link the two batteries if the starting batt is flat for any reason, basically an el-cheapo version of the marine switches seen in the posts above, there is a thick cable going from this across the top of the engine bay to the starter battery to carry the current needed to 'jump' the starting battery, but like I say, that cable is only live when I insert the plastic 'key' (not shown)

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Add-A-Battery Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5521711#5521711]Blue Sea "Add-A-Battery" Dual Circuit System[/url]

Link

You need adobe 10.3 to play video. If you want to watch it without the download interruptions after you start the video click on stop. Let it complete the download then click on play. FYI

Last edited by Tcash on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Circuit Wizard and Panel Wiizard Reply with quote

Hi in discussions with Blue Sea's tech, he directed me to their Circuit Wizard and Panel Wizard. Which can be found on the provided link in the middle of the page. He said that consumers need to calculate the size and heat rating of the cable so there is not a voltage drop across the cable. This will cause your Aux. battery to not receive a full charge. He also mentioned it is best to attach the ACR as close to the starting battery as possible.
If you are not going to combine batteries for starting install fuses at both ends of the cable at the batteries. This set up will reduce the size of the cables required. But if you are going to combine batteries for staring use no fuses. Fuses will not take the initial amps the starter draws If you go to the (Fuse Block and Fuses) there is a battery fuse block and fuses to choose from based on the Circuit Wizard calculations. If you need help call there 800 number and talk to technical. They seem to really support there products.
Good Luck Edits in Blue

BlueSea

Last edited by Tcash on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
- Battery Grounds to Chassis
- Alt Positive to Mid Line
- Battery Positives to 1 and 2
- Run on both when driving
- Never flip the switch with the engine on

Alt positive can just go to the starter lug like usual. The switch should only control like this:

Start Battery on for start
Both batteries on for start
Off

Charging should be automatically controlled by the ACR (automatic charging relay). The ACR senses 13+ volts which means the charging system is active (engine running) and then connects BOTH batteries to be charged. When you shut the engine off it senses the low voltage and opens which separates the two batteries so you don't run down the start battery.

The aux battery feeds the aux fuse block which powers all ancillary devices like stereo, dome lights, power plugs, etc.

Got a link to those battery box's???
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

west marine sells a non metalic battery box $13.99
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Batteries Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5535433#5535433]Batteries[/url]

While researching adding an Aux battery. I kept running into this. (use batteries of the same) kind, chemical makeup, size). With no explanation of why. On Optima batteries which is a division of Interstate batteries by the way. In the installation instructions Suggestions for connecting batteries in parallel. Say, Use batteries of identical make, model, and age. Again no explanation. Use cables of adequate size for the added CCA.
So I called there Customer Service Center and talked with a technician. This is what I was told. The reason they make this Suggestion. Is the absorption rate of the two batteries needs to be the same. Electricity follows the path of least resistance. In test they found that the battery with a higher absorption rate can be overcharged.
This being said, if you are going to run an Aux. battery without a A.C.R.
(automatic charging relay) your best bet is two buy two of the same batteries. In the past you only had two choices a Deep Cycle or a Starting Battery. Presently we can get the best of two worlds. Its called a dual purpose battery.(be aware optima sells a blue top battery that is only a starting battery make sure you get the dual purpose blue top)They are both a deep cycle and a starting battery in one. I love technology! The other factor is cable size. If you do not have the correct size cable running to your Aux. it will act as a resister and not carry enough current to charge your Aux. battery. (why isn't my Aux. battery charging up all the way?)
You may have also noticed that manufacturers of campers offered a battery meter. On these, there was usually a red zone. Why you might ask? Let me give you a scenario. Your pull up to your favorite campsite. Your solenoid does its job and isolates the batteries. Your running off the Aux. no problem right. Well you get up in the morning and go to start the Bus. The solenoid does its job connects the two batteries. Well there's the Aux battery path of least resistance and it's hungry. It fires right up. Immediately the batteries start equalizing. You drive a short distance and shut the vehicle down. You get back in and go to start it. Slow or no crank what's going on. The Aux. battery pulled down your starting battery. I said it was hungry! If you are running dual batteries without an ACR it is very important to monitor your Aux. battery voltage. A fully charged battery sits at about 12.6V a discharged battery sits at 11.6V. I do not know were the red zone sits. When I find out I will edit post. Hope this helps.
Well I have concluded my research on Aux. batteries. I love my job, I get paid to have fun. Back to the red zone. In more discussions with Optima's tech. This is what he told me. The optimal range to discharge your battery is 1v. An Optima deep cycle battery discharged by 1v and charged. Can take this cycling 800,000 times. He said were they experience problems is with RV,s running the batteries down to the weeds. If the battery is cycled this way it significantly reduces the life of the battery. The other thing he mentioned is that Gel cell batteries sit at a higher voltage when fully charged. How much depends on the battery design. Let me give you an example, a lead acid battery is considered fully charged at 12.6v. in the vehicle. Optima D31M is fully charged at 13.1v. So when calculating your 1v discharge keep this in mind. So to conclude, lead acid battery (fully charged 12.6v)(discharged 11.6)(100% discharged 10.5v) To recharge a battery that is 100% 10.5v drained to 90% charged. It takes 112 minutes at a charge rate of 50 amps. That's 50 amps going to the battery not including what the vehicle is drawing. Hope this helps

Last edited by Tcash on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Priority Start Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5552545#5552545]Priority Start[/url]

Hi, Another approach to add a battery is to install a Priority Start on your starter battery. This approach allows you to use the vehicles Accessories with the Priority Start acting as the isolator.
Let me explain how the Priority Start functions. Connected to your starter battery it monitors battery voltage. When the batteries drop to 11.7v it mechanically disconnects the starter battery. It has a sensing wire that goes to ground for reconnection. This wire can be wired to a momentary switch on the dash. By momentarily switching this the Priority Start reconnects the starting battery.
So add a Aux battery with the right sized cables using the Blue Sea circuit wizard. Connect Priority Start to your starting battery. Read and follow the direction. All connections go to the priority start from the starter battery. If you connect anything to the starter battery you are bypassing the Priority Start and it will cause a drain on your starter battery. Connect the black sensing wire to a momentary switch to ground on your dash.
So here is the scenario you pull up to your favorite camp ground. You shut the vehicle off. Your accessories are running off both batteries. Battery voltage drops to 11.7v the Priority Start disconnects your starting battery and saves it for starting. Your running off your Aux. battery. This is a good time to hit the switch and connect the starting battery, start the vehicle and charge your batteries. But if your forgetful like I am. When you get up in the morning the Priority Start will have done its job and you will be able to start the vehicle. Be aware though in this case as soon as the Priority Start reconnects the two batteries. The batteries start to equalize and by design it will not disconnect while you are driving. But if you do not run the vehicle long enough to charge the batteries the next time you shut it off you will not be able to restart.
The Good and Bad compared to the Blue Sea Add A Battery.
Good, less wiring to isolate Acc. circuits your using what is there.
Good, Priority Start saves your starting battery.
Bad, it is highly suggested that you replace both batteries with the exact same battery for equalization.
Bad, You can pull down your starting battery while running. Blue Seas ACR will automatically disconnect until your charging battery is charged. Then reconnect to charge your Aux.
Bad, combines batteries when starting. This can be a problem if you have sensitive electronic equipment hooked up. Like a computer. Blue Seas ACR combined with the battery switch isolates your Aux battery during starting. And with the added Switch you can combine batteries if you need to.

Link

Link Provided PriorityStart

Hope this helps

Last edited by Tcash on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugbane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a diode placed in line from starter to aux battery do the same. I understand that you would have to have the separate fuse panel for cab lighting and accesories. The short drive issue and draining your start battery is concerning, but if you are on the road it would seem you could overcome that issue. All this technology has room for gremlins
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a battery isolator on the alternator cable and a factory fuse box (with a slight twealing of a single support tab) in the mirror location to the existing fuse box. I found that there is not allot of factory wiring that needs to be re-routed to the new secondary fuse box (interior lights, 4-way flashers, gas heater). Most of the other items I added myself and went directly to the the secondary fuse box (additional interior lights, 12v power outlets, radio, clock).

The primary battery powers only the items which requires the ignition key to be on (apart from the parking lights). There is no draw on the primary battery when the ignition is off, no switches to switch and most importantly the two batteries are never connected together so I don't have to match up batteries or that one battery will draw down the other. I have a high cranking amps battery as my primary battery and I picked up a Powertech AGM 31 series deep cycle battery as my secondary system battery which out performs an Optima by a long shot.

After installation the only thing I do as a preventative measure is to toss on a slow charger once a month or after a camping weekend to ensure the batteries are recharged to their peak and thats it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small solar panel placed on the dash board and plugged into the cigarette lighter works well for keeping the batteries topped off between trips.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Diodes and Battery Isolators Reply with quote

Hi All, Isolators that have been in use for quite some time use diodes, the only drawback with this approach is it takes 7 amps to go passed the diode. So your Aux. battery never receives a full charge it is always 7 amps short.
Solar panels work great, back in college we bought some cheap radio shack one's and threw them on the dash on the cars that had parasitic draws. The only problem was when a student would park the vehicle facing north. Best to park the vehicle facing a southern exposure. I think they were like 1.5amps.

Provided link for anyone interested in solar, thank you Emmitt2222 . VW Bus and Solar
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the original poster, I run mine the same way, and have for about 6 years now, without it causing me any trouble.

from a day to day basis I just run it on the starting battery only. when I know im going to camp, I switch it to both and drive to my campsite. when I get there I toggle the switch over to position 2 (deep cycle) and use whatever electronics I want.

when it's time to leave the campsite I toggle it back over to the starting battery and im on my way. if I didn't totally drain the deep cycle ill just toggle it to 'both' and start it up and drive away to re-charge them both fully.

back home and with both fully charged up again, I toggle it back to position 1 for the regular starting battery.

it eliminates the need for all of the extra fuse boxes and separate wiring, and so you don't have to rely on one battery or the other for a particular function/device since all power is relayed via the switch.

walking to the back of the bus on the random days when you need to switch it and just turning the switch isn't really so difficult. I just can't justify all the added expense of the isolators and the rest of that stuff that people usually run. my only concern initially was over-taxing the alternator by charging both batteries while running in 'both' mode, but no issues yet with this setup. YMMV

I don't doubt there's better and more clever ways to do the same thing, but this way also works.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Aux. Battery Relay Reply with quote

Low Voltage Control Relay
Note: connect voltages are different. Battery fully charged voltage will determine which one to use.

Tcash
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a total thread hijack...title is easy to search.

Aeromech, what is the minimum amount of watts a solar panel could have to charge the deep cell battery? I've heard 45w, could it be as low as 15w?

Let's say 4 days camping in the desert with no engine running. What size panel would keep the leasure battery topped off? In my case I doubt I'll ever totally drain it, mostly used for interior lights and charging devises.

Edit: are those high end inverters I see installed in the other theads hard wired to the leasure battery in the ciriut?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
what is the minimum amount of watts a solar panel could have to charge the deep cell battery? I've heard 45w,could it be as low as 15w?

Let's say 4 days camping in the desert with no engine running. What size panel would keep the leasure battery topped off? In my case I doubt I'll ever totally drain it, mostly used for interior lights and charging devises.

With just a little lighting and device charging you can probably get by with a very low output panel. I have the espar, engle, lights, camera, action, etc. 2 X 80w panels here.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find 80 watt panels that just fit into the fiberglass well over the front cab. seems like a good place to start.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
I'll ask an electronical genius in the morning and try to get you an informed answer.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpstewart19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly that. Don't know what the minimum is, but put mine in the fiberglass overhead..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567844&highlight=
1980 Vanagon Westfalia “Rusty” (Sold)
1982 Vanagon Westfalia “Rusty II” (Sold)
1977 Smurf Blue Campmobile (Sold)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rich, but I completely forgot to ask. I sent myself an email at work so I'll be able to get an answer in the morning (Tuesday).
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Rich,
Here's the poop from my guru. He says that 15w would be the minimum to keep the deep cell "topped up" but it would never charge up the battery if it was discharged. 45W would be great if it had a regulator to prevent over charging the battery.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: