Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel in vacuum canister
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

The vacuum advance canister in my 67 wasn't holding vacuum, so I took it apart to see what was up since I was going to replace it anyway.

There was evidence of fuel (varnish) over half way up the inside.

The engine has the proper metal bent tube designed to help stop this from happening, so my questions are: 1. Whether there is anything else that can be done? 2. Is this a sign of some other carb issue? 3. Is it just par for the course?

Now, I have never driven this car, I am currently putting it together, so I have no idea of it's history, or whether there are any drivability symptoms. The engine idles and revs without issue as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

Since you don't know the history of the engine or distributor I would guess that the vacuum line was added sometime after the damage was already being done. if you had the correct distributor for a 1967 VW you would not have a properly revving engine. The stock distributors for 1967 were SVA's. The only means of spark advance is through your non working vacuum canister. You probably have a SVDA distributor installed that has both vacuum and mechanical advance. The mechanical advance will make you think you have good spark advance. VW's started getting SVDA's in 1968 with the advent of the semi-automatic transmission cars. What part numbers are on the distributor and carburetor?

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

The carb is a 30pict1, the distributor number looks like 113 905 205K (of course it faces where you can't see)

I should clarify that the vacuum advance would pull, but not hold for long, so I would guess that for brief revving it was operating.

I tend to agree with your thought that the pipe may have been deleted at some point and then put back in later.

Being new to VW's I just want to make sure that there isn't anything else I should be looking into.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

I agree with tasb, who knows what history that distributor had.

I bought a distributor a while back that I thought would be parts... and it was, but like you the vacuum canister did "sort of" work the first time I put a hose on it and sucked (another vacuum-only distributor, just slightly older than yours) but very badly. I pried mine open and found much as you described, only worse... I guess you can say it really sucked.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

In 1967 the systems on a VW were still fairly simple. You have a correct carburetor to distributor match with a leaky vacuum canister. You will need to locate a core 113 K that still has a good vacuum canister. I have probably 50 113 K's but maybe only 20 good vacuum canisters-that's how it goes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

internet search finds several places that claim they can replace a failed vacuum diaphram, such as...

http://www.qualityrebuilds.com/services.aspx

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

Their in New Zealand, if that matters. There are several companies here in the states that do repairs and when they are contacted they state that they cannot repair the Bosch units found on VW distributors.

tasb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I agree with tasb, who knows what history that distributor had.

I bought a distributor a while back that I thought would be parts... and it was, but like you the vacuum canister did "sort of" work the first time I put a hose on it and sucked (another vacuum-only distributor, just slightly older than yours) but very badly. I pried mine open and found much as you described, only worse... I guess you can say it really sucked.

Andy, was that canister you opened up from a 111 series distributor? Was the diaphragm composed of a speaker cone like material? More like paper than rubber.

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Their in New Zealand, if that matters. There are several companies here in the states that do repairs and when they are contacted they state that they cannot repair the Bosch units found on VW distributors.

I emailed two rebuilders about a DVDA can a year or so back. One of them never responded. The other said he had never messed with that type of vacuum unit and asked me to send a cadaver can with the one I wanted rebuilt, so he could pull it apart first. Apparently there's just not enough interest or money changing hands to make our cans worth the hassle..
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

Tim, I thought I talked to you about that one at the time.

Yeah that's a 1965 era 111-M canister and it was so saturated with gunk I'm not sure what it was made out of. If you click on the picture to zoom in, you can sort of see how it was cracking - what was left of it was very thin so it might be as you say - it pretty much disintegrated as I removed it from the inner half. I threw out all the remnants though after taking the arm all the way apart.

And then I actually started to fix it myself, getting some neoprene sheeting that I thought might work. I cut out a disc of the stuff and attched it to the pieces of the arm, put the arm back together, using some two-part adhesive designed for rubber and plastic, and then set it aside to cure. And forgot about it. That was over half a year ago. I recently thought I'd finish putting it back together to see if it worked at all, and for life of me I cannot find the outer half of the canister, the dome with the vacuum fitting on it. It should be in the box I keep by my kitchen table full of misc parts, that's where the rest of it was. Maybe someday it'll turn up, but I did look quite a bit for it.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

I think it's more a case of how the canister is put together. Once you've taken it apart it doesn't look very nice when re-assembled.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

I've experimented with disassembling several Bosch vacuum canisters to see what's involved with rebuilding them w/new diaphragms. Each diaphragm that had failed reeked of old fuel or varnish. Clearly people were not using the shepherds hooks and looping the retard line vacuum hoses.

I went and installed new diaphragms into a DVDA vacuum canister and got it back together. It looks ok but was a lot of work to open it, fix the crimp seal and then reseal it back together. Sadly, it didn't hold vacuum and I know now what I did wrong in reassembling it.

There are a few fixtures and some tooling I many or may not make for the process to be much faster and cleaner.

However, I know for sure there is no money to be made doing it. It's simply too time consuming to rebuild the DVDA canister as most VW owners wouldn't pay the prices for a nicely rebuilt DVDA canister.

Clearly this is why the companies that do restore vacuum canisters don't do the DVDA's.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

Bill - is this caused by the 009 phenomenon setting a price floor on a rebuilt DVDA distributors?

Never mind you then have to whine about a flat spot.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

I used to see this when I worked for VW. It most often is caused by someone installing a rubber vacuum line straight from the distributor to the carburetor or for some unknown reason they straightened out the hardline vacuum tube. The factory put a loop or sometimes a bend to keep fluid out of there.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/img/wwpn/211129493.jpg
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

I think I saw someone else that put a back flow preventer in line. I am still curious about this. It would be quite nice if we with vacuum canisters could find one for the ultimate protection.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

On late model cars they looped the vacuum hose through the air cleaner clip which is well above the height of the carb.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
On late model cars they looped the vacuum hose through the air cleaner clip which is well above the height of the carb.

I've also seen many factory photo's where the vacuum hoses going to the DVDA's were simply a thin, plastic piece of hose w/no loops or steel shephard's hook w/the loop by the carb.

I bought a bunch of used DVDA's from two old timers who stripped VW's for decades. All the vacuum can's were blown on these cores. However, taking the distributors apart showed they were low mileage distributors from the lack of wear on the internal parts. I'd bet money they suffered early vacuum can failures from fuel vapors and were removed from the engines. Then 009's were plugged in.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in vacuum canister Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

That's true, however we should address the owners car which is in the 58-67 category.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_66bug/32.jpg

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/img/wwpn/211129493.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: