Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Info on this Heater?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Info on this Heater? Reply with quote

A very, very similar version of that heater was available on the Bay window Buses from 1975-1979. I bought a setup and installed it in my '73 Bus.

There are a few differences between your diesel version as installed on a Vanagon and the Bay BA6 but they are overall very similar. So you can find some info in the Bay forum if you look around. Here's my install thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690730&highlight=ba6

It is really nice for pre-warming the Bus before driving, and also as auxiliary heat in very cold weather driving.

As stated, they can draw down your battery pretty quick if you run it more than about two cycles, so one of the modern diesel parking heaters are probably a better bet if you want to have it run overnight for winter camping. I installed on of those on my '78 Westy. Plenty of threads on those here in the Vangon forum.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on this Heater? Reply with quote

just pray you dont have a D1L heater model...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Info on this Heater? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I added a diesel heater to our camper. It sips fuel and will keep the van warm all night long. Ed, knowing you from your posts, attempting to get this heater working is in your wheelhouse. The plan is to use the van as a cabin when visiting. That heater on cool nights will be a godsend. I vote to go for getting it running if you can.

Does this heater also "sip" electricity from the battery? Or does it function without electricty.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Info on this Heater? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
that first pic you can see the relay that operates the fuel metering device, and the fuel filter is diesel. its t 'd into your gas tank, then the little white box you posted a picture of with teh wire running to it has the fan /blower that pushes the heat. so your heater uses both electricity and diesel fuel to run. the switch has to go to a temperature regulator of some sort that turn the blower motor on and off accordingly to maintain a certain temp...look for a box with lots of stuff in it Smile youll get it going, i would. these heaters are great when running.

oops.... now I'm getting confused. I have been assuming that the DIESEL HEATER and the ELECTRIC HEATER are 2 difference and separate things.... are you saying that they are working together? When I turn on the knob on the dash that says "HEAT" then there is heat, but I assumed that this was the aftermarket electric heater, and that the factory diesel heater is inactive??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: