Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

Looking for some guidance / dos and don'ts for extracting exhaust fumes, so I can run the engine in the garage.

I've found a bunch of suppliers of tubes and fans designed for exhaust temperatures, but the proximity of my garage to our house and to our neighbours means that I need to consider smells as well as CO, so I figure I'll need some sort of filtration too.

Any recommendations for filters? (Carbon/charcoal?) Do I need mechanical extraction if I'm going to use a filter to avoid back-pressure due to the restriction, or is that not an issue?

I reckon I'll need to run the outlet 12 - 15 feet from the tailpipe to vent to clear air.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

I just open the garage door for the duration.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

3 inch pvc under door and rags stuffed in to seal. Minimal back pressure , no smell, no temperature worries.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I just open the garage door for the duration.

Thanks. That's not a viable option in my case (adjacency to neighbour and I'd only be doing this during very cold weather, when I want to keep what little heat there is in the garage in there).

Abscate wrote:
3 inch pvc under door and rags stuffed in to seal. Minimal back pressure , no smell, no temperature worries.

OK, thanks for confirming on the backpressure.

It'll be nice to be able to do diagnostics without freezing.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

I've been watching Doc Martin since the beginning and they have never shown a winter scene so I made the assumption that it never gets that cold there.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

it doesn't they're just soft, they even have palm trees there! it's still t shirt weather up north until your beer freezes over Cool

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

They make a exhaust port,for garage doors.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

maybe checkout a cannibis growing set for a filter.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
it doesn't they're just soft, they even have palm trees there! it's still t shirt weather up north until your beer freezes over Cool

Laughing Laughing -6 here last night.

steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

That's centigrade. What is that kelvin?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction? Reply with quote

It’s about 0F in the Kelivinator

Thanks for not saying “Kelvins”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: