Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unable to remove upper front shock nut
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 3:35 pm    Post subject: Unable to remove upper front shock nut Reply with quote

First supension job. I've got the control arm off, and bottom bolt out of the shock, but the top nut simply won't budge.

The protective cap was still in place so there's no rust or obvious seizure. The issue is clearly how I'm going about this. When I jack up the lower control arm, I turn the nut counter clockwise, and it rotates the shaft it sits on as well as the rubber and flange below.

I've seen some threads here that note a hex hole in the top of the shaft you can use to keep it from turning but I have no such thing.

Any direction on how I can turn the nut without turning the shaft? Thanks a ton for your help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to remove upper front shock nut Reply with quote

Hi

1/ Put WD40 or Seafoam or PB Blaster, or whatever you use, on these threads, and wait a few minutes
2/ Use a vise-grip to hold the shaft from turning, while unscrewing the bolt.

Do you have a torch? Heat would help.

if you have a Dremel or similar, just cut the nut off (make sure you don't damage the big washer underneath.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to remove upper front shock nut Reply with quote

I would be tempted to get in there with a dremel and cut a deep slot wide enough for a piece of metal that won't twist when you crank on that nut.
But that's me, and I'm not always that sharp.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to remove upper front shock nut Reply with quote

I ran into a similar problem when i replaced my front suspension. I went though everything to try to remove it, but just couldn't get it. I didnt want to wreck the shock so I didnt want to just cut it. I solved my problem with a nut splitter. It was super simple and cheap and took only a couple of minutes. Just need to buy a replacement nut.

https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Hawk-Tools-AZNS3P-Split...mp;sr=8-55
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: