Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Bus - Sound Deadening Engine Compartment
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:19 pm    Post subject: 74 Bus - Sound Deadening Engine Compartment Reply with quote

About 2 years ago I had an engine fire that destroyed everything in the engine compartment. I've finally gotten almost everything put back together again, but I'm wondering what to do about the sound deadening material on the roof of the engine compartment. There is no trace of it left, but my recollection is that there was a masonite type material with holes in it. I'm assuming there must have been some insulation between that material and the roof of the engine compartment. I'm assuming this is not something I could find to replace the original.
Any thoughts on how to do a bit of sound deadening in the engine compartment? It's pretty loud in the bus now.
I did use some modern sound deadening material on the upper inside. It's the type with an adhesive side. My one concern is that one of the pieces has already fallen off while driving even though the adhesive side is very sticky.
Looking for suggestions of what I might do to reduce the engine noise inside the bus.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus - Sound Deadening Engine Compartment Reply with quote

There’s a guy in Prescott Az that makes replacement ceiling panels for various years. They cost about $80. Buy those and go to Home Depot and buy some sort of 1 inch thick material you can cut and place above your new panels. A little spray glue helps. Best to do this with the engine removed. Look up Werksberg. He advertises both here and on eBay. Gruff old bastard but he makes a great product that I’ve used numerous times.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus - Sound Deadening Engine Compartment Reply with quote

This might help
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731250
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus - Sound Deadening Engine Compartment Reply with quote

Use stick on sound deadening on the inside of the gas tank partition and cut strips and stick them on the ribs above gas tank. The partition is like a drum.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: