Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.5 audi conversion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: 2.5 audi conversion Reply with quote

So I have been looking around at different conversions and this one keeps coming up in my mind but there is not a lot of talk about it. Eurospec and Overland offer this conversion. My question is: Has anyone done this on Samba or viewed one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the Audi 2.5 TDI 5 cylinder? If so, we have two customers with these in their synchros. It is a tight fit, but does fit under the deck. Some triming in the license plate area and the front engine compartment, but nothing obscene. I am not familiar with "kits". I think this setup was available in South African Vanagons. The owners packrated away what they would need to do the conversions from the internet. I understand the person that did the physical coversions is no longer doing them. It was a butt load of work followed by a butt load of time, followed by a butt load of money. They are very nice rides.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No am not referring to the TDI's. Just gas motors like the kits you find on the Overland and EUrospec websites. Cost is approx $6000 which is pretty much what Bostig runs. Basically what they run or ran in SA. And they fit under the lid on Syncros but the 2wd version uses a false deck setup for clearance. I like the idea ,keeping it German and all, not to mention with 5 cylinders you would have plenty of power. I guess I just find it odd that not much is said of this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the time to look at Eurospec's website. I believe that in the end, Overland and Eurospec are the same company. Their 2.5 gasser kit looks nice. It has most of what you need. I don't see any fuel system. The website also states it is in the works. The engine's foot print would be similar to the 5 cylinder diesel. Most Audi's that came with that engine I would think are long gone. It would be a nice option. The exhaust is a little funky. I think they needed the length.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl Mullendore has experience with Overland, maybe send him an email..

here is one of his posts, screen name westyventures
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3562294&highlight=overland#3562294
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have heard it not that great I talked to one owner not so great MPGs and not as strong as he thought it would be.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Audi Swap Reply with quote

Hi Iceracer:

The Audi I-5 2.2 litre turbo engines are great. They are the 3B and the AAN. 3B was made for only one year in the Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro 20 Valve, while the AAN was installed S-4s and S-6s respectively in '92 to '95 and '95.5 to '97.

They make 227 horsepower and gobs of torque with a flat torque curve with max torque from 1,800 up to 5,000 rpm and they rev to 7,000. These engines are almost identical in power output and many parts except:

AAN has distributorless coil-on-plug ignition and better fit in the Vanagon engine compartment as a result;

AAN uses a single serpentine accessories belt, 3B uses three fan belts;

3B has throttle body in poor location for a Vanagon swap;

AAN has camshaft position sensor for the distributorless ignition.

The 2.5 is torquey, but the 2.2 turbo's will get you better mileage when you drive for mileage and will give consistent power in the mountains due to turbocharging and have more torque than the 2.5 at all engine speeds.

A Sambanite did a superb swap on his Syncro. See:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210307&highlight=mcsyncro

For Audi used parts, see:

http://www.audifans.com/marketplace

If you do this project, we all want pictures.

Good Luck!
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 audi conversion Reply with quote

iceracer wrote:
So I have been looking around at different conversions and this one keeps coming up in my mind but there is not a lot of talk about it. Eurospec and Overland offer this conversion. My question is: Has anyone done this on Samba or viewed one?

I've personally never seen a van with this conversion, but I do know it is basically the engine package that VW of South Africa installed in the 1992-2002 T3s that they built domestically. BTW, I think the engine provided in the Overland package is a 2.6. The earler SA 5 cylinder vans were 2480cc (2.5), but the later ones were stroked to 2553cc (2.6) and as I remember the Overland ad indicates that they supply the 2.6.

It's a good conversion, and the engine is torquey and smooth. It does require a raised engine bay lid though, and though their photos show one of the slick factory raised floors installed with the kit, their actual kits came with a homemade sheetmetal and carpet raised floor.

The nice thing about this conversion is that the wiring harness, engine mount hardware, exhaust system, and cooling system are all VW factory pieces. These can be the weakest link in non factory conversions if not done well.

There are more powerful options out there, but the Audi 5 cylinder is a smooth engine that makes a great sound and is very durable. It'd be worth a look.

David
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. Just been on my mind for a few yrs, not in a position to take that one on now. I find the swap interesting, was just curious why no one talks of it and everybody is doing the Subie and Bostig conversions for approximately the same price. Though I think the Subie is less expensive.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's an old thread.. I'm trolling the history files here. but wanted to share a pic of our install.

it can be a snug fit.

*shhhh super secret spy photos (from my gallery)
relocated the AT trans mounts down & forward to keep flat bed.
would not recommend this swap to anyone short of a custom design center. meaning if you have to ask the answer is probably no.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently learned of the existence of a transaxle brace for Vanagons with 5 cylinder gasoline motors paired with either Syncro or 5 speed transaxles. The brace is not needed for 4 speed transaxles.

more info about the brace, with pictures, here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6384081#6384081
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: