Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Hubster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I hooked up the timing gun and then reached in and increased the rpm’s quite high. According to what I had read, I went till the line didn’t keep moving clockwise and made sure it was at the specified number, which I can’t remember, but I think 27.5. It was your (busdaddy) sage advice for setting it. Ignoring the idle timing mark. I hope that makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hubster43 wrote:
I hooked up the timing gun and then reached in and increased the rpm’s quite high. According to what I had read, I went till the line didn’t keep moving clockwise and made sure it was at the specified number, which I can’t remember, but I think 27.5. It was your (busdaddy) sage advice for setting it. Ignoring the idle timing mark. I hope that makes sense.

Did you have the hoses disconnected from the vacuum can? That is a necessary step.
Hubster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am 98% certain I did and had followed the steps properly. I think I should go ahead and recheck it and be 100%. May take me a couple of days to get out there. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This isn't a stupid question, but couldn't see where else to post these milestones...

Both BusDaddy and Wildthings have contributed
more than 50,000 posts to The Samba!

Wildthings and BusDaddy have been incredibly helpful during my seven years of van/bus ownership.
Thanks to both of you!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Gawddang!! Congrats, guys! And thanks for all your knowledge!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

They certainly helped me get my bus on the road, been enjoying it ever since so 110% thank you.

I do also have a stupid Q.

Air filter housing. Sizing. Within reason are they interchangeable, so could you use a 1.3 air filter housing and filter on a 2.0 ltr engine.

What about 1.6 etc. I see 1.0 ltr housings Which are tiny so I assume there is a limit but where would you get to a acceptable zone of size match. The only thing that restricts air flow is the filter inside but I imagine too small would be noisier as it's sucking so much air.

I'm looking at retrofit air filters for my Subaru bus.
Pg

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

this is what I used for my EJ2.5
I wandered the pick & pull and came across a few different donor options, this was from a late 90's ford Ranger V6, hose and all. It's quiet, has holes for evap system hoses that I just screwed new fittings into.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply. Looks nice !

The obstacles I have are that over here in the UK breakers yards are very few and far between now. Used to be loads near me but Jehova W bought up the land and it's a huge JW site now.

So I'm onto eBay looking for options.

Mine has to go where the original FI air housing would have been mounted ( I took off the original brackets but that area is all I've got.)
I looked at these and that's where I wondered about the donor cc engine sizes

2007-2011 Toyota Yaris Air Filter Housing 

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
Blazman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How do I hook up a battery under the bed in a 74 Canadian Westfalia? I've been scratching my head about this and I just came to the conclusion that I am an absolute buffoon that has no idea what I'm doing with it. I just need to test out the inverter before hooking the stove in sink back in.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Blazman wrote:
How do I hook up a battery under the bed in a 74 Canadian Westfalia? I've been scratching my head about this and I just came to the conclusion that I am an absolute buffoon that has no idea what I'm doing with it. I just need to test out the inverter before hooking the stove in sink back in.

Refresh my memory, any pics of the battery area and surrounding loose wires?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Blazman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here is a image of under the bed.

Also, I found these seals on Amazon for the valve covers and I am afraid to take the valve covers off now because I don't know if the seals will get screwed up if I take them off with these be a good set to use with a type 4 or at all?

FEL-PRO VS 21566 C Valve Cover Gasket Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EIT8YOC?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_TQ1QRQ028P1J8F5PM2G9&language=en_US

I think I fixed the link.

[/quote]Refresh my memory, any pics of the battery area and surrounding loose wires?[/quote]

Last edited by Blazman on Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Blazman wrote:

Here is a image of under the bed.

Also, I found these seals on Amazon for the valve covers and I am afraid to take the valve covers off now because I don't know if the seals will get screwed up if I take them off with these be a good set to use with a type 4 or at all?

FEL-PRO VS 21566 C Valve Cover Gasket Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EIT8YOC?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_TQ1QRQ028P1J8F5PM2G9&language=en_US

I think I fixed the link.

Refresh my memory, any pics of the battery area and surrounding loose wires?[/quote][/quote]

Those are not Type 4 valve cover gaskets.
Blazman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[/quote]Those are not Type 4 valve cover gaskets.[/quote]

Well that's good to know. I almost ordered them earlier today. Are the type 4 the longer ones that are kind of skewed a little? Like these?

I'm sorry for the long link but I copy and pasted it the way it's in my browser.

https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-VS-26084-Valve-Gask...amp;sr=8-2
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Blazman wrote:
Those are not Type 4 valve cover gaskets.[/quote]

Well that's good to know. I almost ordered them earlier today. Are the type 4 the longer ones that are kind of skewed a little? Like these?

I'm sorry for the long link but I copy and pasted it the way it's in my browser.

https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-VS-26084-Valve-Gask...-2[/quote]

There is a thread on Type 4 valve cover gaskets, I suggest reading it before ordering.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

In regards to the battery, fish out those wires and trace them as much as possible, then tell us what you find.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Blazman wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

There is a thread on Type 4 valve cover gaskets, I suggest reading it before ordering.
Blazman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
In regards to the battery, fish out those wires and trace them as much as possible, then tell us what you find.

I will do that as soon as it stops piss pouring rain they said it should be until Monday over here.

I'm saving up for a collapsible carport so I can still work on her when it starts raining.
Blazman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Blazman wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

All right. I'll look it up on here. I didn't think to in the first place. Thank you.
Blazman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I just got the Bentley repair and service manuals today.
Blazman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Has anybody tried this panel? I am in need of a rocker panel but I'm trying to find one that is in my price range That's good.

I can't find those funky green panels for the outer rocker panel. Only the inner and middle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262841258189?mkcid=16&...media=COPY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 514 of 515

Jump to: