Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight Bucket Color?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricobuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

I am restoring my headlight buckets and want to repaint them. Does anyone know what color they are? A color code? These look sort of greyish... Not sure if that is the original color or just an OLD color?
Thanks.
Rich
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

Rust-Oleum gloss light gray. At Home Depot. Really.
Preistrager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

Would it make a difference to use a bright white to improve visiblity, 6Volt system?
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

I don't think the white will help much, the headlight lenses are responsible for directing the beam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

i did mine in crome powder coat i think thay look great
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmx2c4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

Krylon Stone grey (Satin finish) because rust o leum sucks. I think the semi gloss finish looks most factory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
staceyz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

Tremclad Aluminum
justindn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

Check the Wolfsburg West website for paint codes for your year. It has everything from the black colour of brake pedals etc. to the body colour. It should have the headlight bucket grey. Justin in Victoria.
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing it back for a variation on the question. My buckets appear different colors inside the lense area and on the back side where they look like the beige/grey. Before I get the paint matched tomorrow I just want to clarify it should be the beige/grey color all over. I am assuming the inside looking almost white is due to sun bleaching of the paint. Can anyone confirm. Thanks.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rally wheel silver on the inside.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The outside of the buckets are different colors depending on the year (the left bucket from my 58 is pictured)
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Neil. I was obviously referring to my late model buckets Rolling Eyes ....Sheesh you early split guys. Wink Very Happy

EverettB wrote:
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - Reference the outside of the bucket. I have a couple pairs I wanted to get color matched. The later push terminal set I have are a darker different grey/beige than the earlier screw terminal set. Has anyone had either of these color matched to provide a code. My local Sherwinn Williams on carries a metal enamel in gloss or satin and doesn't have the satin in stock (I really need a flat), and my local auto paint store (Finish Master) can't color match because the bucket isn't flat enough for their camera, and I don't have a spare to hack up and press flat for the process. Any help would be appreciated.

2 - In regards to the blue paint/ink stamp that references the part number,etc. of the outside of the bucket. Has anyone reproduced these, and if not can someone with the knowledge/resources assist with some information on how it should be done. I noticed this also varies from early to late. Thanks again.

EverettB wrote:
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:

Rust-Oleum gloss light gray. At Home Depot. Really.

bmx2c4me wrote:
Krylon Stone grey (Satin finish) because rust o leum sucks. I think the semi gloss finish looks most factory.

Of course my local Home Depot does not carry either of these. I know this is an old thread, but wanted to know if anyone had a (current) source for either of these paints?

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image

Last edited by KevinAlbrecht on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoop Bob wrote:
2 - In regards to the blue paint/ink stamp that references the part number,etc. of the outside of the bucket. Has anyone reproduced these, and if not can someone with the knowledge/resources assist with some information on how it should be done. I noticed this also varies from early to late. Thanks again.

If you can get a rubbing from it on tracing paper it would be possible to darken the printed area by hand and have a rubber stamp made. I did this for a stamp to reproduce the SIGLA mark on glass. It worked OK. If you blow it up, do the filling in and then reduce it back down it looks better than doing all the work at the original size. Good Luck and let us see what you come up with!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my '59, the passenger side was original and near perfect, so I left it alone. I used Wolfsburg West "Chrome" L-91 on the driver's side, which had leaked and rusted a little. Side-by-side, the WW "Chrome" was 99% identical to the original passenger side. Installed, they looked exactly alike.

Of course, if you are painting both, you can be a little more varied in the "exactness," relative to original.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

Stone Geay in satin is not even remotely close:

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

I found the Krylon Smoke Gloss Grey to be a decent match to original primer. It's a bit glossy, but the color is close.

It could probably be baked at 300' for an hour to reduce the gloss, but I never bothered.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

Stocknazi wrote:
I found the Krylon Smoke Gloss Grey to be a decent match to original primer. It's a bit glossy, but the color is close.

That’s WAAAAY better. Cool

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119187

-before going too nuts reinventing a subject...

PS- the discussion here is about headlight assemblies. Your headlight bucket is always lower body color.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Bucket Color? Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Stone Geay in satin is not even remotely close:

looks like its different paint

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: