Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scam Alert AAA Norther California offers no Plus RV coverage
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Scam Alert AAA Norther California offers no Plus RV coverage Reply with quote

I just got screwed by AAA Northern California on a 68 mile tow, the driver billed 190 dollars per hour, for the round trip. Total cost 412.10!!!

It turns out that in NorCal you cannot buy PLUS RV coverage, at all. You can buy AAA Premier, which covers the first $300

The Tow truck driver, and AAA confirmed, told me my Westy is an RV because it has a bed and a stove.

AAA does not cover RV's under their 100 mile Plus plan, nor under their 200 mile Premier plan.

Ignore the website which lists Premier Plus RV, that does not apply to NorCal, only to Utah.

I decided to renew my New Mexico AAA Premier Plus RV membership. I used a New Mexico address for the membership, but a California address for the Mailing address.

I tried to get AAA Nor Cal to refund the $112.10 the tow driver asked for. AAA said NO, because they dont cover RV's under the mileage plan. Like the Tow truck driver said.

I will be submitting my towing bill to AAA New Mexico, will let you know if they reimburse it.. (I did get reimbursed. NorCal AAA scam resolved)

Moral of the story, IF you have a Westy, in NorCal, you are NOT covered for mileage towing as you might have thought. Go Ahead, call AAA and find out for yourself.

Very sleazy of AAA Nor Cal, they offer this:
"$300 RV Towing Reimbursement — Get $300 covered towards the tow of your RV."

so for a 68 mile tow, the driver will bill his time, at 190 an hour, to drive the round trip, even though you are not being towed round trip..

Moral.. DO NOT BUY AAA in NORTHERN California for a Westy!

PS, AAA Southern California Does offer Premier Plus RV.

edited to clarify what I have learned and to warn others.

Last edited by Jon_slider on Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 am; edited 3 times in total
trailnewt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipes! This is an unpleasant turn of events.

I've had two different Westy's towed in the past with N. California AAA, the most recent one about two years ago. They paid the full bill. No one even mentioned an R.V. exclusion.

What does your insurance policy say under body type? Mine says "van."

Brent
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> What does your insurance policy say under body type? Mine says "van."

The AAA driver did not care what my registration or insurance say.

He asked if I had a bed and a stove, then invoked the RV rule.

Im sure not all Tow drivers are as savvy on how to scam AAA members in Cali, but the one I got was very good at it.

And AAA refused to refund the tow bill.

AAA NorCal wrote
"Unfortunately due to the living arrangement setting in the vehicle it is covered under the clause of Recreational Vehicle (RV)."
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had Westy's towed locally several times and used my AAA.

I go to the same company for this.

Never a hassle, even when I have towed to the next county.

Out on the road this may be different.

We always get the Premier.

Also, for $6, I have road side assistance / towing with the insurance company.

The nameless company (NOT AAA) with cover "reasonable" charges.

So, in this case, I would submit the extra $112 to them.

What a pain.....but if you actually bought and were issued RV coverage, even if it was a mistake, they still need to pay.

Still a pain....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I recall a thread where Vanagons could not camp in a place along the ocean in CA because they were not self contained. It does sound sort of screwy. Unfortunately, when broken down and the tow truck there, you are really in a lousy bargaining position. My wife has triple A plus. I believe it includes 100 miles, but I just assumed it covered any vehicle she was driving.

She did get a flat on her horse trailer once and when Triple A showed up, said they did not cover trailer tires. My wife tipped the driver and all of a sudden it was ok.

I have seen the adds on TV for Good Sam, and wondered why they were advertising road side assistance and then noticed they started with RV road side assistance and are expanding their market. I need to look into my wife's policy a little more.
chains20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have road side assistance thru my auto insurance. maybe you should research that cause it only cost me 4 bucks a month
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that stinks.....Kalifornia strikes again, in NH they do honor for a westy premiere up to 200 miles one way no charge for a mc/auto/rv/boat included...i thought the defination of a "true" RV was it had to have a bathroom with self contained holding tanks...ive been denied RV covg for my westy due to this...no bathroom
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: AAA Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Geeeee I'm glad I'm in Arizona, AAA just took me 96 miles no problem, broken down coming back from BBB. But if i'm ever in calf. tell them my rear seat does not fold, and keep the stove shut, it's a counter top. Having a tin top might help to. This is good to know, thanks! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
He asked if I had a bed and a stove, then invoked the RV rule.

I think I know of a way around this... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow truck drivers are a mixed bag, some are sleazy. It sounds like the one you got decided to make some extra money by exploiting this gray area.

FWIW I've had my Westy towed in N. Cal on a flatbed and it was fully covered by AAA.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA tried to pull this one on me a couple years ago. I mentioned (forcefully) how many years I had been with them, and that the same camper had been towed more than once with no problems - AND that is was exactly the same size as the standard Vanagon. The agent insisted it was an RV, but I didn't give up, continuing my hard-ass attitude with her, until she agreed to let the tow driver assess whether is was towable or not. Of course, it was. Rolling Eyes

Don't let them push you around, don't be Mr. Nice Guy. Their policy regarding Westalias being RVs is total BS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: RV AAA coverage. Reply with quote

I'm on the phone with Bridgette in Member services, and she states that AAA WA/ID is different than AAA CA..

As I reinforced content from Jon's posting, she did speak with a manager, and confirmed that with her auto dept.

They said RV coverage isnt needed. Should be covered under plus (100) or Premier (200) coverage.

Primary difference with RV is it covers moped, trailers and additional items with the RV, covering storage of the trailer when the RV is separated for fixing.. (which is what I want) its also 160 for the year.

That's really odd that there is any coverage differences with CA members.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason I love my Weekender! Sorry guys...good luck...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have coverage specifically for my Westys, trailers and dually.
It doesn't cost that much more than AAA.

I'm surprised the driver didn't charge you $420 even Laughing
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this isn't a new AAA policy. I've had Westys towed more times than I care to admit and haven't had any issues previously. But, now that I think about it...

The last time I got a AAA tow was for my Syncro Westy 6 months ago in northern/central CA. My van's starter was going and I was stuck at a rest stop off the I-5. When the AAA guy came he did mention that he "wasn't supposed to be towing this because it was considered an RV."

Me: Haha, you're kidding, right?
Him: No.

He was cool though, hooking my van up anyway and, upon my request, dropped me off at the top of the nearest overpass so I could pop-start my way to freedom. I shrugged off his "RV" comment, attributing it to ignorance on his part. But perhaps he was smarter than he looked?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Jon, you can't be like all Valley Girl with those guys. You have to get up in their grill man..... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
Tow truck drivers are a mixed bag, some are sleazy. It sounds like the one you got decided to make some extra money by exploiting this gray area.

FWIW I've had my Westy towed in N. Cal on a flatbed and it was fully covered by AAA.

Yep.

I had mine flatbed-towed last August.
Summer of 2011.
160 miles door to door. Fully coverd by AAA Premier.

I had just upgraded prior to the trip.

I'd think I'd be working my way up the chain o' command at AAA until I got the answer I liked.
It might be possible that AAA has had other cmplaints about the tow company used, Jon.
They have been known to cut contracts with tow companies who pull fast ones on thier club members.. just sayin.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I have only had to tow the Westy a couple of times. We have AAA Premier. Never had a problem with anyone.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. I'm not clear on something. When I upgraded our coverage to AAA Premier, they asked for the license info.. I told them it was all on file since we are insured by AAA as well. They looked up the name and that was that.

No one ever mentioned "RV" when we insured it.. And no one mentioned "RV" when we upgraded the membership coverage. I paid the added fees and we went on our merry way.

Seems to me, jon, that if AAA sold you the "premier" coverage and had your license and registration on file as the vehilce covered, the tow truck drive is obligated under the terms of thier AAA contract policy to tow the vehicle without added fees... and/or AAA is obligated to cover it direclty with the contract towing service.

Something ain't right here. My Westy was "accepted" by definition of the license plate number... And the tow truck drivers.. while they dissed the VW as problematic, loaded the van up without questions.
Well.. except for the usual,
This ain't stock is it?.
How did you get those huge tires on there?, etc.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..

Last edited by j_dirge on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got towed out of burning man to Reno (120 miles) not a single problem. And recently towed 1 mile without any issues or questions of what type of van it was. I have AAA premier.

What a bunch of BS. If you had a regular van with a plywood bed and camping stove would it be considered an RV?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: