Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Great write-up. I see several Dometic CRX-50s listed on their site. Which one is yours?

I think it is the CRX-50T. I got it from Raney's Truck Parts.
https://www.raneystruckparts.com/truck-fridge-buil...y-dometic/

This model only comes in black. I switched the front panel with Formica and painted the trim. I'm very happy with the fit, and didn't mind needing to get rid of the city water plumbing to get it to install deep enough.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Had to get the stowaway off before leaving for Gauley fest, then a quick run up to Seneca Rocks. Ended up being tiny bit less the 1000 miles in four day but Westly ran surprisingly well. Just never know with him!

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

That's a great hike up there and great views.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Yes on first thousand, second thousand this week.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Around Lac Supérieur : 2738 Miles

Did an oil change before leaving, now it sits 1/4 of the gauge. Had the contact of the front left flasher playing havoc ( a little tapping would temporarly fix it). Eberspacher works. Fridge on propane works, Radio works. Zumo XT's setup works. Apart from having been living (many years) with a slow leak on one tire and never took a look at it. Long story short, that old spare (Agilis manufactdate 1406) didn't hold up.

So I'll say, YES made it.

Now 5 new rubbers on order. I guess that's the price of being lazy. And I have to put on the todo-list : check the play in the steering column.

English is a second language to me
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Love the boat pic! Very Happy
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Pathao, that had to have been an epic adventure.

I've been fortunate to never have a flat on any of my Vanagons since I purchased my first one in 1985.

Ironically, I'm still hauling the OE Continental spare in my 84 Vanagon.
Yes, I need to upgrade....LOL
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

That's one on my bucket list.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Recently home from my eclipse trip… Lake Superior to CO…NM…AZ…UT & back, 3,250 miles with zero issues… Cool

A few pics, FWIW:

Totality at center line south of Red Mesa AZ. “Ring of fire” not obvious in sun image, but note circular lens flare below bumper:

Totality shown through eclipse viewer glasses:

Campsite same night in Valley of the Gods, UT:

Lunch at Muley Point the next day before heading home:

My first fall road trip since retirement one year ago…see you on the road!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Well, it was an annular eclipse, not total. You have another trip coming in April 2024, I predict. April 8 is the date.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

^^^ Indeed.

I suppose the more correct term for my position at this eclipse was annularity, or maximum.
I took great care to view from within meters of the center of the path of annularity.

This was my 2nd…April ‘24 will be my 3rd eclipse trip in the van.

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

I'll be there too. Save me a spot.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

pathao wrote:

Coincidentally, this came up for me today MI>OH>TN>FL

3500?lb Boat(2,460lb displacement + stuff/trailer?), standard manual tranny, EJ25, standard brakes.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Wow that powertrain owes you nothing
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

earlywesty wrote:
Wow that powertrain owes you nothing

But it's about to make some noise.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
tbone5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

1. 84’ Westy, 1.9 - rebuilt GW 2.3
2. LA, Ca – Durango, Co – LA with stops along the way - Arches/Brice/Zion, @ 2,300 miles total
3. A qualified made it – Some Vanagon Syndrome Stumble, changed out the coil and all was good

About a month before the trip, Bob (my Westy), had serious stumble issues on the highway…100 degree air temp while climbing the Grapevine (though engine never overheated). Classic symptoms – loss of power, engine died and coasted to a stop. Let Bob sit for about 45min, started right up. Got home and cleaned all the grounds, bypassed the starter to tranny cable, replaced the vacuum hoses, changed out the spark plugs, and for good measure, changed out the fuel pump. Bob ran better than ever and gas mileage was the best I’ve had (@ 18 mpg). Month later thought all was good and embarked upon the “big trip”. Three hours into the first day the engine stumbles (but doesn’t die) Sweating bullets I pull over and let Bob sit. Half hour later the engine starts up and I continue on…but lost my faith in Bob’s ability to complete the trip. At the campground that evening I reread Samba posts covering the dreaded Vanagon Syndrome. I notice that one the piece of the puzzle I missed was the recommendation to replace the coil. The next morning I order a new one from VanCafe to be dropped shipped to my friend’s house in Durango (which UPS delivers as I pull up to his driveway….talk about timing!) Next day we switch out the coil….1300 miles later no problems and my faith in Bob has been restored.

steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Bob from Twin Peaks? You may have rough roads ahead yet.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Just drove 1,500 miles Bonners Ferry Idaho to Santa Fe for the winter, van ran like a top!
Forty Fifth parallel, New Meadows Idaho, halfway between the equator and North Pole.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Meandered down to Florida from Virginia. Drove around. Broke the 1000 mile mark. We will start heading back up on Monday so won't know the end miles yet. I wanted to wish the veterans a good one and their loved ones who have the unfortunate duty of putting up with them.

A little unintentional red, white and blue. Had to put the but zapper up after we let in a million mosquitos. The USB rechargable but zippers on Amazon actually work. Anything smaller than a mosquito not so much.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 47

Jump to: