Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modern fuse box conversion.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee you have an old VW because you want to be different. Then you change the fuses and fuse box to be like everyone else.

Sort of defeats the purpose of owning one of these unique vehicles doesn't it?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Gee you have an old VW because you want to be different. Then you change the fuses and fuse box to be like everyone else.

Not really... Some things have been improved for the better since the 1930's.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's true. I could add disc brakes, electronic ignition, power steering, air conditioning, 12 volts, fuel injection, power windows and seats, GPS, stereo radio to my 1962 Beetle...oh, but wait, then it wouldn't be a 1962 Beetle any more, would it? Smile

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it is... but maybe just a 1962 Beetle thats more enjoyable, and even more dependable.

If its what you want... thats the beauty of it..
Not all have to conform.

I thought this topic was about fuse blocks... not better overall upgrades and features.

I'm all for the simple VW's, love them frankly, but they are by no means the top in evolution.

It's that simplicity that most of us love.
They take us back to a simplier, and in most eyes a better time in history, but there is absolutley nothing wrong with some improvements.

"Progress peaked with frozen pizza". (John McClane)
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I thought this topic was about fuse blocks... not better overall upgrades and features.

Sorry. My inner retro grouch got the better of me. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
62Baido
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
62Baido wrote:
My current bug has modern fuses but quite honestly if I could find time to swap it back to OG I would.... Here's what I got. It was a huge cluster fü¢k when I got the car and took me a couple weeks to sort it so it matches the stock wiring diagram. If you already have a stock unit just keep it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I love it when everything is in red!

Man I screamed soooooo many obscenities while straightening it out! Can you believe there were even MORE red wires!?!?!? I ended up pulling a bunch out.

http://www.norcalaircooledgroup.org/
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Yes, that's true. I could add disc brakes, electronic ignition, power steering, air conditioning, 12 volts, fuel injection, power windows and seats, GPS, stereo radio to my 1962 Beetle...oh, but wait, then it wouldn't be a 1962 Beetle any more, would it? Smile

The local Napa keeps bullet fuses just for me since I own the only old bug still on the road in this town.

I have no need to keep a bug "period". I had a 1974 Porsche 914 and those guys were much worse than you guys about not changing anything whatsoever ever. I don't mind ugrades that makes the car more dependable or safer. So my '67 has a '73 engine with electronic ignition. Also a retro AM/FM radio. I haven't gone to disc brakes but I'm considering it. The main thing holding me back is it's an Empi product. There are tradeoffs with the upgrades; My '63 bug got 36mpg. This bug gets a lot less.

crvc
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Sorry. My inner retro grouch got the better of me. Very Happy

HAhhaha... It happens to the best of us.
Usually and often edited
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitey62 wrote:
I installed a standard buss fuse panel, and IMHO it's MUCH nicer than stock. I don't have to special order fuses if I need one... they're available EVERYWHERE.

Not really directed at you but:
You have an old car, order a pack of white and a pack of red fuses and you should be set for a very very long time.
I think I've blow 3 fuses in the last 15 years.
And all from my fault because I shorted something out when I was working on something and didn't disconnect the battery.

The only time I really use fuses in when I buy a new VW, I replace every fuse on the car with brand new. You'd be surprised how many times all of a sudden everything works on the car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:

Not trying to be like everyone else at all. I was just searching for a possibly more reliable fusebox so I can drive mine everyday and not have to worry that it will go out on me.

I love the way my car is now. I wouldn't do anything that would change it's personality unless I had a really good reason for doing so.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just poking sticks!

But in a lot of ways its the little details that define the package.

So you really need to identify your desire when considering something as simple as this.

The stock stuff worked on millions of these cars for 40 years or more, so there isn't any reason that it should give you difficulty if you restore the system back to its proper operating condition.

One really neat thing for the stock nazis is seeing a car that is really close to being all original. So for them when you make this sort of upgrade, its just not the same anymore.

For others of us, we just want it to work and get us to where we are going (and hopefully back). We don't really give much thought or care to things like the brake return spring being painted the wrong color.

But if you have a car that still has its stock components, you really should think about what your priorities are when it comes time to make any sort of changes.

You know we ALL look at other cars and point out whats wrong or what isn't correct. We just don't do that with our own!
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It is the small details that make up the car.

That's why I've decided to keep my stock system and go through it and fix any problems that I find( including finding the possible short from my dome light), and then see how good it is from there. Then, if I need to, I'll replace my fusebox with the one from WW, but only if I find a problem with the one I have now.

Thanks to all of the people that offered advice and help. I appreciate it.
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original fuse box is hacked up. So I ordered the empi blade style box. Figured why not...

However. The Bosch style fuse is 8, 16, 25a

Blade is 5,15,20,25

Can I run a 15 for a 8, 20 for 16?

It would be extra because it's just for protection right?

Smile
mrbigmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find 7.5 amp ATC fuses. 7.5 amp & 15 amp ATC fuses would be fine substitutes for the 8 amp and 16 amp ceramic fuses.
1965VWBUGGER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be running the Watsons Kit on mine, overkill yes, but I have a plan to keep visible wires at a minimum. But keeping the factory fuse panel hole but using it to mount a few accessory switches for Fog Lights, Fuel Pump, and my Reverse Light.
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbigmax wrote:
You can find 7.5 amp ATC fuses. 7.5 amp & 15 amp ATC fuses would be fine substitutes for the 8 amp and 16 amp ceramic fuses.

You sure 15 for a 16a?

Seams ok because it's like 1 off. Smile
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I picked up the old style fuses at my local Auto Zone. No problem finding them.

I've seen them at a bunch of auto parts stores and a truck stop once also.

I have a WW fuse box because the one in the car was bad. They make a great one! I had to wire it slightly different than how they show in the Bug Me video but was a piece of cake. Between that and new wiring harness everything works like it should now. The only issue I had was that the screw holes for the ground wires to the head lights were stripped out. Rather than go with even bigger screws I made terminals with brass screws a nut and star lock washer and another nut to secure the ground wire to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should have told the factory to not change anything. Of course, each individual will have to decide which year that should have happened, right?

Some people are going to butcher whatever they touch. Others will do tasteful upgrades. Tasteful upgrades are way cool in my book. Especially cool are upgrades that make a vehicle more useful to the end user. One man's ceiling is another man's floor and all that. Yes, I recognize this as an intolerance of "stock nazis" and "correctness police". That is, unless you are in a concourse contest but for me at least, that is different than what I want to do.

I'm just pissed that the factory changed so many things over the years.

Chuey
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just looked and the empi gm style fuse box totally dose not fit in the space. Figures....

It's prob ment for a kit car or something.

Any other blade style boxes?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon65 wrote:
I agree. It is the small details that make up the car.

That's why I've decided to keep my stock system and go through it and fix any problems that I find( including finding the possible short from my dome light), and then see how good it is from there. Then, if I need to, I'll replace my fusebox with the one from WW, but only if I find a problem with the one I have now.

Thanks to all of the people that offered advice and help. I appreciate it.

excellent choice, what I would do, clean t up, retension the clips, new fuses and she should be fine, never in 170,000 miles of driving my 53 year old 300,000+ mile Bug have I had a fuse box issue, and I am running the original one, yes I have cleaned it up every 15 year or so in the last 35 that I have owned it, but it is the one that was in it when it left the showroom, (original family car)

If the stock fuse holder is burned up, shot or what ever, try to find an original type one, no need to modify them, old ones will last a long time if kept clean to prevent resistive heating and so long as the correct sized fuses are always used so that the terminating wires don't over heat the fuse holder if it is over loaded/

Kept clean, protected form mechanical damage, and not abused with too much current, the stock fuse hold I would expect to last at least fifty more years on my car, for a total of over 100 years of use, with only occasional maintenance.
The reason the new fangled fuse boxes on modern cars don't fail as often as the old ones is in part because the new ones are new, and have not yet been around enough for dirt, vibration, heat to harm them. In fifty years they too will need a little service to make like new again, just as our ancient Bug fuse panels do today.

I prefer to minimize the disruption of the stock electrical system, I dislike cutting stock wires, to fit, and hacking up a stock harness. If at all possible I try to make repairs stock as possible and make needed modifications easily reversible. I even keep lengths of stock old VW wires with stock brass press on ends in my spares box, so I can neatly graft on repaired ends to replace damages stock ones as needed.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: