Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Vintage speed type 3 exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JeeJeeJason
Samba Member


Joined: May 23, 2014
Posts: 234
Location: Bay area, CA
JeeJeeJason is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Erik G wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:
They put them up already eh? Prices for these exhaust systems keep climbing.


extra pipe, extra welding, a little extra monies. Lots cheaper than a real Abarth


Yeah...prices aren't "climbing". The single tip VS exhaust is still the same price. This new "Abarth" style exhaust is an iSP exclusive and is freaking awesome! It took all of my will power not to take it home with me last night... Sad


...by climbing I meant every time that I see a new exhaust posted online it's more expensive than the last....So yea, it climbed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member


Joined: August 23, 2004
Posts: 3169
Location: Santa Clara, CA
squaretobehip is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeeJeeJason wrote:
squaretobehip wrote:
Erik G wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:
They put them up already eh? Prices for these exhaust systems keep climbing.


extra pipe, extra welding, a little extra monies. Lots cheaper than a real Abarth


Yeah...prices aren't "climbing". The single tip VS exhaust is still the same price. This new "Abarth" style exhaust is an iSP exclusive and is freaking awesome! It took all of my will power not to take it home with me last night... Sad


...by climbing I meant every time that I see a new exhaust posted online it's more expensive than the last....So yea, it climbed.


Well yeah...it's a different exhaust...with different/more elaborate tooling...which would justify a higher price...so yeah...and they're being shipped halfway around the world...so yeah...

If you're looking for a $150 exhaust, you can pick up an over the top. They fit and sound like shit which is why iSP is no longer carrying them. But hey, they're $150ish...so they've got that going for them...

These exhausts are very well made and are well worth the money. This coming from the guy who bought that other Abarth repop for double the money. Yeah...I'm THAT guy.
_________________
1965 Baltic Blue S Model Squareback

[email protected] - Questions/Comments
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2002
Posts: 11385
Location: Tejas!
Erik G is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Erik G wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:
They put them up already eh? Prices for these exhaust systems keep climbing.


extra pipe, extra welding, a little extra monies. Lots cheaper than a real Abarth


Yeah...prices aren't "climbing". The single tip VS exhaust is still the same price. This new "Abarth" style exhaust is an iSP exclusive and is freaking awesome! It took all of my will power not to take it home with me last night... Sad


only live once homie. will they let you post a mock up? I wanna see how it looks through the rear apron, and from the back lol. Even just held up on a box or something

and hear it of course Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2002
Posts: 11385
Location: Tejas!
Erik G is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This coming from the guy who bought that other Abarth repop for double the money. Yeah...I'm THAT guy.


forgot about that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member


Joined: August 23, 2004
Posts: 3169
Location: Santa Clara, CA
squaretobehip is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:


only live once homie. will they let you post a mock up? I wanna see how it looks through the rear apron, and from the back lol. Even just held up on a box or something

and hear it of course Twisted Evil


Oh I'm gonna snag one even if it just stays in the box. There's a possibility these could be a limited run.

I just have to figure out what I wanna sell... Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad Twisted Evil
_________________
1965 Baltic Blue S Model Squareback

[email protected] - Questions/Comments
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeJeeJason
Samba Member


Joined: May 23, 2014
Posts: 234
Location: Bay area, CA
JeeJeeJason is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:
squaretobehip wrote:
Erik G wrote:
JeeJeeJason wrote:
They put them up already eh? Prices for these exhaust systems keep climbing.


extra pipe, extra welding, a little extra monies. Lots cheaper than a real Abarth


Yeah...prices aren't "climbing". The single tip VS exhaust is still the same price. This new "Abarth" style exhaust is an iSP exclusive and is freaking awesome! It took all of my will power not to take it home with me last night... Sad


...by climbing I meant every time that I see a new exhaust posted online it's more expensive than the last....So yea, it climbed.


Well yeah...it's a different exhaust...with different/more elaborate tooling...which would justify a higher price...so yeah...and they're being shipped halfway around the world...so yeah...

If you're looking for a $150 exhaust, you can pick up an over the top. They fit and sound like shit which is why iSP is no longer carrying them. But hey, they're $150ish...so they've got that going for them...

These exhausts are very well made and are well worth the money. This coming from the guy who bought that other Abarth repop for double the money. Yeah...I'm THAT guy.


Kick back brotha. No one was saying your exhaust wasn't worth the money, it's just 100 bucks more than the other Vintage Speed I was eyeing for the past month. It is certainly tempting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member


Joined: August 23, 2004
Posts: 3169
Location: Santa Clara, CA
squaretobehip is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeeJeeJason wrote:


Kick back brotha. No one was saying your exhaust wasn't worth the money, it's just 100 bucks more than the other Vintage Speed I was eyeing for the past month. It is certainly tempting.


No need to kick back. Es all good in the hood. I am not, and I don't try to be the face of iSP...I am an employee and a customer. The latter of which is the most important here on thesamba. As a customer, I will get one of these or the single tip just to have. Nice NOS units are getting up there in price. Throw in the $ to get it coated so it lasts and you're pretty much at the price of one of these.
_________________
1965 Baltic Blue S Model Squareback

[email protected] - Questions/Comments
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member


Joined: May 21, 2012
Posts: 687

Yabbadubbadoo is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go for the single tip. I just like how the single tip visually nestles neatly between the apron cut-out and the bumper over-rider above. It's just a minor thing though.
_________________
Sydney, Australia.
66 Type 3 Fastback
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member


Joined: June 14, 2006
Posts: 2684
Location: Los Angeles
t3kg is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1702040

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Cool Cool Cool
_________________
5/62 343
I WAS THERE! The 2017 Type 3 Rally / September 29–October 1 / Cayucos, CA
2014: The 2014 Type 3 Rally / October 3–5 / Cayucos, CA
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DA4167
Samba Member


Joined: January 12, 2015
Posts: 1
Location: New Plymouth, NZ
DA4167 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed exhaust installation Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice. I've just got a vintage speed stainless exhaust system for my standard type 3 1971 square back. As I wanted to improve the flow of the engine but I can't see how you install the system whilst maintaining the upper heat ex-changers. The fittings seem to connect straight to the cylinder heads so what happens to the upper heat ex-changers as i don't want to radically alter the car because it's pretty original.

Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
vwtaiwan
Samba Member


Joined: March 08, 2006
Posts: 109

vwtaiwan is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

68vwfasty wrote:
I am very happy with my VS. Here are a couple of pictures showing the engine out and in the car. It tucks in really nice. The fit is great. I ran hoses directly from the fan to my heat exchangers but you can use the upper heater boxes. I used the ones from Spruce.
I also have a remote filter and running the lines was really simple and they don't really get too close to the exhaust. I might add some insulation wrap on the hoses for extra protection.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
That is Beautiful set up. Nice and clean.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vic
Samba Member


Joined: August 31, 2005
Posts: 1669
Location: Fontana, Califas
vic is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously a lot cheaper than a A1 but if they would have enough flow as a A1 in a bigger motor such as a 2180cc. Has anyone mounted one to a 2 liter yet?
_________________
The Original German Folks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member


Joined: January 30, 2006
Posts: 16674
Location: Eugene, OR
Mike Fisher is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a Muffler Shop & have them build exactly what you want is what I did. I like them better with left & right tailpipes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
https://imgur.com/user/FisherSquareback/posts
69 FI/AT square Daily Driver
66 sunroof,67,70,71,71,71AT,72,72AT,73 Parts
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2002
Posts: 11385
Location: Tejas!
Erik G is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic, I'm going to say of course that your heads and specifically the exhaust valve size is going to be the determining factor. He does list both the sport (up to 125hp) and super flow (up to 150hp) but does not list exhaust tubing size

http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.586/.f

I will say, one of my friends ditched his A1 for a VS on his bug with a big motor. He is much happier with the fit, finish, looks, and performance. Says he wish he never bought the A1. Hope that helps. I'd ask him, I met him when he flew out to the classic from Taiwann a few years back, super nice guy. He was helpful when I asked him about doing a 356/912 exhaust too
_________________
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vic
Samba Member


Joined: August 31, 2005
Posts: 1669
Location: Fontana, Califas
vic is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Vic, I'm going to say of course that your heads and specifically the exhaust valve size is going to be the determining factor. He does list both the sport (up to 125hp) and super flow (up to 150hp) but does not list exhaust tubing size

http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.586/.f

I will say, one of my friends ditched his A1 for a VS on his bug with a big motor. He is much happier with the fit, finish, looks, and performance. Says he wish he never bought the A1. Hope that helps. I'd ask him, I met him when he flew out to the classic from Taiwann a few years back, super nice guy. He was helpful when I asked him about doing a 356/912 exhaust too


that's what I was thinking also Erik. The super flow should be hood for my 2180 with 40x35.5 heads.
_________________
The Original German Folks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member


Joined: September 01, 2011
Posts: 4692
Location: Brooklyn
sjbartnik is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed exhaust installation Reply with quote

DA4167 wrote:
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice. I've just got a vintage speed stainless exhaust system for my standard type 3 1971 square back. As I wanted to improve the flow of the engine but I can't see how you install the system whilst maintaining the upper heat ex-changers. The fittings seem to connect straight to the cylinder heads so what happens to the upper heat ex-changers as i don't want to radically alter the car because it's pretty original.

Cheers


Did you ever find the answer to this? Someone in the thread said one could use the upper heat exchangers with the Vintage Speed exhaust but I can't see how. Anyone done it or figured it out?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member


Joined: March 14, 2009
Posts: 1715
Location: Hollywood ,CA
blues90 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be late in the game but I did find this . Looks like they are adapters for the rear heat exchangers . Never mine these are if you want to add flanges to the front heat exchangers instead of the pipe and clamp they come with. More solid but not cheap either.

The only thing I do not care for on these systems is how close they are to the fan intake bellows . They need a heat shield of sorts . Also they say up to 73 . I wonder how these clear the later type three engine hanger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member


Joined: August 23, 2004
Posts: 3169
Location: Santa Clara, CA
squaretobehip is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I wonder how these clear the later type three engine hanger.


It's not even close. Here's an ad (slightly different exhaust) with installed photos:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1702040
_________________
1965 Baltic Blue S Model Squareback

[email protected] - Questions/Comments
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member


Joined: March 14, 2009
Posts: 1715
Location: Hollywood ,CA
blues90 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it much better than the Empi one I have now . I need other things well before I get close to changing the exhaust system .

I wish this was around years ago when I had the funds to spare.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member


Joined: March 19, 2010
Posts: 4084
Location: Illinois
ataraxia is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed exhaust installation Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
DA4167 wrote:
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice. I've just got a vintage speed stainless exhaust system for my standard type 3 1971 square back. As I wanted to improve the flow of the engine but I can't see how you install the system whilst maintaining the upper heat ex-changers. The fittings seem to connect straight to the cylinder heads so what happens to the upper heat ex-changers as i don't want to radically alter the car because it's pretty original.

Cheers


Did you ever find the answer to this? Someone in the thread said one could use the upper heat exchangers with the Vintage Speed exhaust but I can't see how. Anyone done it or figured it out?


I had a chat with the Vintage Speed guy (forgot his name Embarassed ) at OCTO and we discussed a flange adapter for the small heat exchangers as there isn't one now. I explained that he'd sell a lot more of these mufflers if there was a way to retain the small heat exchanger with the VS muffler.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I'll mock up an adapter once I order/receive a VS muffler in the very near future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB