Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mouse repellant tips: Peppermint oil, electronics, cats, etc
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Mouse repellant tips: Peppermint oil, electronics, cats, etc Reply with quote

caught my first one in a long time?

confused how the little bugger got in

nothings in the westy ie food clothes bedding , all cleaned out for it's winter

set another trap,

Moderator edit: Also refer to this topic important about plugging holes: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326 .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it many times before and I'll keep saying it. Pure peppermint essence of oil soaked cotton balls placed in a metal topped jar (baby food jars the best) with holes poked in the lid. I put several all around/throughout the van (specially in dark spaces) and I've NEVER had another mouse problem. Those little beasts also love getting into the front heater core.

ps the peppermint smell is a good and healthy smell to homo sapiens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tlbranth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mice in cars, motorcycles and the house for years. I'm not fond of deterrents because, like debt payments, they require vigilance. I sealed up every possible entry into the house and have no more mouse guests except in the garage where I set traps. Cars and motorbikes get 1/4" hardware cloth over all entry points - including engine air intake. The Vanagon is new to me. I've sealed the air intake in the front so far. It looks like the rear side windows have an air exhaust function and I'm not sure how to keep the little bastards out of dropping their doings in there but I'll keep working on it. So far no evidence of mice inside the vehicle ..... and we live in the woods where there are lots of them.

1991 Westfailure. 2004 Forester 2.5 engine. 4speed Standard transmission.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the battery box vents with stainless steel wool..... See my build thread for photos and instructions on this and the front air intake screen.

Also, rust holes? Above / in front of rear wheels?
Bad water fill lid?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been covered a lot - ANY cars that I had sitting outside get one or more ultrasonic pest repellers in them. One in interior, one in trunk and one in engine compartment. These things are cheap and last for years. You dont have to worry about things drying out or stinking up your car. I have a couple in my storage garage that are 6 or 7 years old. Will probably replace them next year to play it safe.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an ultrasonic pest repeller in our house a decade or so ago. It caused our lhasa apso to become violently ill, puke repeatedly and would not come back into our house until it was removed. I have some concern that with it producing such a dramatic/violent effect on a small dog I wonder how healthy it can be for humans even though they don't hear it.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you find one in a vehicle, it's a safe bet there are more in it. We have a clever little mousetrap that came with our house for catching multiples. It winds up with a lever, then each mouse that comes in looking for the bait gets suddenly swept into a chamber. I'd consider putting one of these in the van, but not before making sure the bait cannot draw MORE into the van by use of the peppermint, etc. This way, you are not poisoning them. You can then take the trap and humanely release them in a field or something. That's what we do. Hope the houses around the field never catch on as to why they always have a raging mouse problem..... Laughing
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Once you find one in a vehicle, it's a safe bet there are more in it. We have a clever little mousetrap that came with our house for catching multiples. It winds up with a lever, then each mouse that comes in looking for the bait gets suddenly swept into a chamber. I'd consider putting one of these in the van, but not before making sure the bait cannot draw MORE into the van by use of the peppermint, etc. This way, you are not poisoning them. You can then take the trap and humanely release them in a field or something. That's what we do. Hope the houses around the field never catch on as to why they always have a raging mouse problem..... Laughing

You know Doug.....
I'm on your page with almost everything you post.....
But.......
Trapping Mice live to release them later???

Nope! Same with Raccoons and Ground Hogs........ I catch you
You varmint...... You're GONE!!!

We hunt deer very aggressively here to the point that they are almost a non issue any longer, still around but not in massive unnatural quantities..... BTW town supported culling of the herds.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ship ya my cat.... results guaranteed
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass on the cat Wink

never release a varmit, always returns, you must kill it Sad

I'll look into steel wool / front duct sealing( i think it was done) Confused

setting more traps tonite Twisted Evil

hope this don't turn into a big MOUSE HUNT , you remember how that turned out VW Logo
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326&highlight=mice

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Good info here

Good Info?
Did I miss it?

I read a lot of banter that someone should ID all the holes and photograph them so others can follow suit, disagreements on what size opening a mouse needs.

You can 100% mouse proof a van. You just need to invest the time, take it apart and fix every rust hole, rotted rubber and missing wire grommet.

I did it, you can too.

I'll probably add some of Daisy's peppermint oil ........ What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?

My #1 concern is mouse pee and crap in my air system that I BREATHE!!!!

A mouse under a seat, while disgusting, is a whole different problem than a nest by your heater core.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peppermint smell drives the mice away. It is not a poison. Mice HATE the smell, try it in your garage, basement, garden shed, it works great and leaves a pleasant smell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I know, I know. I have somehow developed a very soft heart over the years for creatures great and small. I will be surprised if neither of my kids becomes a veterinarian!! Just 10 mins ago we got back from picking a Christmas tree. Walking across the garage floor from the direction of the Van up on jacks for starter rehab was the single largest spider I have ever seen here. It was moving very slow as it is 24 degrees. My 16yo daughter came out of the house just as my brain was trying to decide. She was heading out to visit a friend and said in passing "Oooh Daddy, catch that one so I can look at it when I get home!" So its enormousness is now sitting in a bug jar on the kitchen table. I know, I know..... Embarassed
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a recipe for shrews?
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
madspaniard wrote:
Good info here

Good Info?
Did I miss it?

I read a lot of banter that someone should ID all the holes and photograph them so others can follow suit, disagreements on what size opening a mouse needs.

Dave, I said good info because there a number of great pictures showing openings and how some people are going about it. Sorry, I just didn't pay attention to the banter, I got good info out of it, the pics on the second page were very useful to me.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's the best place to obtain the magic mouse repellant oil Question

the hunt will continue

there's no bag limit

no closed season

I cannot live with infestion!!!!!!!!!!!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essence of Peppermint Oil can be bought in any Health Food Store. Must be real oil and not perfume.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't get confused and use Eucalyptus oil instead or you might end up with a koala infestation instead.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Just don't get confused and use Eucalyptus oil instead or you might end up with a koala infestation instead.

I used peanut oil once but thank goodness the elephants couldn't get in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: