Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Hey all,

Longtime lurker here...been reading and purchasing parts off thesamba.com for years. My fasty engine finally croaked (on fathers day) and I decided why not document my engine build here and be a bit more social on the forums.

I have owned many dubs and started working on them back in my highschool days. My first VW was a 1971 Transporter and since then I have owned a few more buses and a couple beetles. My fasty is my first Type 3 car...even though the Fastback has always been my favorite style (up until I saw the KG-TC Shocked OMG drools!)

I picked up this fasty a little over 2 years ago and have been slowly replacing crucial items to keep the car running and driving daily. Now that the engine is kaput, I am building the engine to my likings, which will be a fairly economical and long-lasting daily driver.

Over the next few days/weeks/months I will be adding more pics and info on what mods/maintenance I have done myself (or paid to have done) as I have been taking pics of most the fixes/upgrades I have made already.

Anyways, enough with the intro and on with the pics (just a few to start)
my fasty just days after purchasing off craigslist...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlejc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Welcome, fellow fasty owner!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

It would be a good time to drill out all the spot welds & fix/replace your front apron, while you're torn down building a new engine. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Glad to have you here, sounds like you have a good plan.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
It would be a good time to drill out all the spot welds & fix/replace your front apron, while you're torn down building a new engine. Idea

Mike, you must have missed this part.
glutenfree wrote:
I picked up this fasty a little over 2 years ago and have been slowly replacing crucial items to keep the car running and driving daily.

Over the next few days/weeks/months I will be adding more pics and info on what mods/maintenance I have done myself (or paid to have done) as I have been taking pics of most the fixes/upgrades I have made already.

my fasty just days after purchasing off craigslist...

Which means, and I'm guessing, that he's already done some repairs to it. I really don't think he's been driving it like that for the last 2 years.

Please do post up some updated pics, as I'm sure quite a few of us would like to see them.
Also Welcome fellow Fastback owner. Don't take any crap about them from those here who dislike Fastbacks. In fact I've used way more Squareback parts than I have Fastback parts over the years. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Hey all, thanks for the warm welcomes! This week has been nothing but rough and tumble but are starting to look better.

My car was towed and impounded (no thanks to a rude neighbor) but I was able to muster the funds to bail it out. Sadly that set my build back even further but it is what it is. After doing some thinking, I decided to try and pick up another late model fasty (1971) with a much cleaner body and currently runs/drives and is registered.

My initial thought was to purchase the 71 fasty and drive it as is until I finish my engine build, then pull the engine from the 71 and install my fresh 1776 build I started recently. I could then either install the engine from the new fasty into my old one and sell it like that or....start parting the 70. I would rather see it on the road so I will most likely go that route.

Anyways, I have been looking for more pics but it seems I may have lost some/all the pics from some of the work I did on my current fasty back in 2014 when my laptop hard drive crashed.

So, instead of that I will show a few pics of my engine build (machine work)
This is a Brazilian AS41 case with the larger lifter bore bosses which will allow for stronger lifter bores after they are bored out to fit the hydraulic lifters.

TLDR: Rough week. Looking at another fasty. Pics of engine build.

case halves Align-bored & lifter bores bored to accept hydraulic lifters

case halves Bored for 90.5/92mm cylinders

hydraulic lifters (pic1)

hydraulic lifters (pic2)

my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

So its been awhile since I posted last...I have made quite a bit of progress on my engine build and I also picked up the 1971 fastback I mentioned last post for my resto-mod project.

Apologies for my lack of posting...my life gets pretty hectic and I can only keep up with so much before long. I have been buying parts/hardware and cleaning up the parts I did not have cleaned (dipped).

I started powder coating parts a couple weeks ago before I got sick

Then I proceeded to clean my aluminum parts even more with the use of an ultrasonic cleaner and a simple bath mix (simple green, dish soap and lemon juice)

I am really bummed to see this damage caused by what looks like a 4 inch grinder wheel. So much for paying for quality repair work! (ugh!)

More powder coating and engine build pics coming soon. Also, figured I would share a pic of my new fasty...

my Shapeways store
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

This last weekend I was able to finally bolt up the pistons/cylinders and heads. I ran the rockers through the ultrasonic cleaner and those are now ready to bolt on once the push-rods have been thoroughly cleaned. I went with stainless windage style push-rod tubes from cb.

Still waiting on my FRD rebuild kit/s as I know one of them has a leaking accelerator pump (passenger side). I will be ordering new jets for them as well since my engine is now an 1835.

I also have a type 4 cooler I will be running, coupled with full-flow w/ Berg kit and eventually a 1.5l Berg sump. I think the cooler retaining stud needs replaced with one a tad longer (15mm +/-?) plus a tad thinner unless I open the hole on the type 4 cooler about 1mm overall. Then I will be cutting/welding the 3/4 cylinder tin to accommodate the taller cooler. Again, this is my only vehicle and will be daily driven and taken on long drives around the country so the extra cooling is quite necessary.

This is about where I am now...

Need the fan housing and pulley blasted prior to coating (dipping was not enough for this alloy)

My oil filler tube nut was chipped on both sides of the notch so my tool will not loosen the nut so that I may remove the breather intact. I do not need it myself but I don't like to destroy good parts...I may have to cut this off!

Working on my linkage (adding bearings to remove chance of play)...not sure I want to keep the old hex bar but it is still functional and I can save a few dollars to get back on the road again...my engine has been down since June

my Shapeways store
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Alrighty! I just finished doing my budget for next month and it looks like I should have enough moolah to complete my build and get my car back on the road!

Waiting to hear back on a small issue I ran into with my Dellorto FRD's (pump rod replacement) FRD/DHLA Pump Rod Length

Also, after reading extensively on oil cooler seals, I am not sure exactly which set I should use...my case is a universal Brazillian (thicker lifter boss')
and the oil cooler passages are of two different sizes...plus I need to swap the oil cooler stud for one that will work with Type3/4 coolers (stepped stud)

I have a few days before more parts/supplies arrive so I should have plenty time to figure this out.

Cheers!
my Shapeways store
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Looking good, Man!
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Thanks much sharmstr!

Just got one of my FRD rebuild kits in the mail today but will wait until I have both kits and the correct jets plus the new venturis before I do the rebuilds. I will take the next few days to get both carbs cleaned and maybe polish the bodies a tad with my dremel. Since I removed the nifty coating last time I rebuilt them, they have not looked as nice (dang B12 Chem Dip!)

I will also be working on my Halloween costume this week so I won't have much for updates until next week after the rest of my supplies and parts arrive...but I am sure I will post up at least 1 pic of me in costume for sh!ts n giggles.

I also need to tear my generator down and clean up the commutator and junk. I will most likely powder coat the housing before I reassemble the gen with fresh brushes.

I still haven't decided the trim color I plan on using on various pieces in the engine bay. Definitely NO red , green or gold colors (not my thing) and no chrome-like colors either. Probably a grey or blue or maybe a combination of both? Details, details details...

Cheers everyone!
my Shapeways store
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:

Also, after reading extensively on oil cooler seals, I am not sure exactly which set I should use...my case is a universal Brazillian (thicker lifter boss')
and the oil cooler passages are of two different sizes...plus I need to swap the oil cooler stud for one that will work with Type3/4 coolers (stepped stud)

Cheers!

I'd measure the oil holes in the cooler to determine what size they are. I believe the oil coolers with a "B" stamped in them after the part number are 10mm which would work well with your case (you've probably got the seals in your gasket kit.
As for the step stud, you can either try and hunt 1 up, or drill out that mounting stud hole out on the cooler to clear an 8mm stud, and replace it with a stud about 1 inch or so longer than what you currently have.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I'd measure the oil holes in the cooler to determine what size they are. I believe the oil coolers with a "B" stamped in them after the part number are 10mm which would work well with your case (you've probably got the seals in your gasket kit.
As for the step stud, you can either try and hunt 1 up, or drill out that mounting stud hole out on the cooler to clear an 8mm stud, and replace it with a stud about 1 inch or so longer than what you currently have.
I hope this helps.

Thanks for your input Bob, just what I was looking to hear. I was unable to find any marking on my cooler other than a VW logo. It's a type 4 cooler and the oil passage holes are about 10.2mm and the passages on the case are roughly 11.2mm & 9.2mm with the outer lip area reaching about 14mm.

Drilling out the stud hole and possibly bolt holes will most likely be the best way to go for simplicity sake considering they are only off by 1mm.
I like simple.
What about spacers for the cooler seals? I will review the thread/s I bookmarked on installing a type 4 cooler in a type 3...might have the info I am looking for there.

I placed my powder coating material order this morning so I can get that in asap and get the last few tins coated (obviously I need to modify the 3/4 cylinder tin before any coating is done.
Maybe I can pick up a new stud and bolts/nuts for the oil cooler plus a few 38mm +/- bolts for the oil pump (stainless perhaps?) today when I am out running errands.
my Shapeways store
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

If you're using the 10mm cooler and seals (the t-4 oil cooler uses 10mm seals), then you don't use the spacers. Also, you're really only wantimg to open the 1 hole for the cooler stud.
Yes, you'll need to raise the tin where the t-4 oil cooler will go, as the t-4 oil cooler is taller. Someone else has just done that mod on here too. They did a really nice job making it hard to tell it was done, but I can't remember who it was right off hand.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Word. 10mm seals and no spacers. Aye!

I just finished drilling out the stud hole and took a few pics of the mockup (w/o seals)...

Now lo pick up another 3/4 cylinder tin so I can hack the top off both (one longer than the other) and I can use the extra length to overlap both tins and weld them together for a super clean look.

I picked up some stainless acorn nuts (M6) so I could install my Jaycee O-ring sealed mag-drain plate...

Payday may be later than I originally expected but I did pick up a 3d printing job so I was able to order some studs so I can swap the oil cooler mount stud for one of proper length to fit the type 4 cooler.

Also, is it recommended to use studs versus bolts for the oil pump? I would prefer using bolts over studs & nuts but if there are clearance issues than I can dig the studs & nuts.
I've also got my other dellorto FRD carb disassembled and cycling in the ultrasonic cleaner with the generator lined up for disassembly and clean up next.
Thats about all I have to post up today...still hoping to hear back on the carb pump-rod issue I posted in another thread and x-linked it here a couple posts above.

Cheers!
my Shapeways store
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Okay, so I have a question about the engine cooling tin for the type 3...
I noticed the "deflector plate" in this schematic (#25)
http://www.vwispwest.com/pg90/

Which is found here...
http://www.vwispwest.com/113119451.html

Is this deflector plate part of the late model type 3 cooling setup? If so, I need to source one as all I have are smaller style plates installed, similar to the ones found here...
http://www.vwispwest.com/311119317.html?p=

also found this info on the deflector plate..
http://www.type2.com/rvanness/kooltin.htm

pic of lower deflector plates installed

Now is the time for getting this right as I prefer to do things only once.

Thanks all!
my Shapeways store
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Yes, those were added on the later Type 3 engines. I don't know exactly when, but my engine had them. You do want to use those, although you might need some wire to hold them on (it doesn't take a lot). I ran a wire around mine.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Yup, the #25 pieces are called "super cool" tins, and were used in "hot" climates from 71 to 73. You'll have to pull the heads off to get them on, along with wiring them in place.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I truly appreciate the help with all this info. Learning the intricacies of the type 3 engine have been a tad daunting, so all the help is wonderful.
Thankfully there are a couple sets of deflector plate tins posted on the classifieds here just in case I am unable to find them locally.

So, my question now is do I install the "super cool" tins OVER the smaller deflectors or IN-PLACE of them?

Does anyone have an old busted 3/4 cylinder tin laying around on the cheap? My budget for this month is getting thinner with each passing day, lol!
my Shapeways store
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 3 Fasty RM-DDB (resto-mod daily driver build) Reply with quote

You don't use the smaller deflectors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: